Wearing Starfleet Uniform Out in Public - Help

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by ST-TNG-FAN91, May 3, 2010.

1. Orcus

Orcus Captain Captain

I bet the OP is even more delighted that they got three pages worth of 'serious' comment from all this... :wtf:

2. Luther Sloan

Luther Sloan Captain Captain

Delta 1:

Yes, but they are rebelling against the community by wearing such said costume. No one can identify with their actions except others who do the same thing in other cities across the globe.

Now lets just say hypothetically speaking that sports was an activity where everyone watched an out of shape man slowly painting the side of a house. What is to be gained from it? Besides hanging out with other people who like to do the same boring thing? If I see that my fellow neighbors love to get into watching that, well, hey, that is cool for them. I find it to be a waste of my time as a group effort. As for the economical benefits. Well, just because something makes money and goes into helping the city doesn't always mean it is a good thing. Guns and drugs can help the economy, too. But we don't push those at neighborly group events. Now, I am not implying that sports is evil or anything. Far from it. It can be a tool used for good. I get that. But in my opinion I think it is a very insignificant activity to watch other people run around throwing a ball when it has no real impact on my life directly (besides some small possible sense of connection with fellow neighbors who like to do the same boring things).

Now, if my community were to walk or climb a mountain for cancer together. That would be different. It is an activity or a cause that is going to keep you in shape and do some good. But drinking and yelling at a TV screen or in a stadium while others do the running around is silly to me.

3. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

THIS. :techman:

4. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

I hate playing - and even watching - sport, but many, many people find role models amongst their sporting heroes.

5. Luther Sloan

Then they should look at how they live. And not at how they throw a ball as the defining thing for them to cheer over.

In other words: most of the time, fans of famous sports players seem to care more about how well they play versus how they live their life.

Sure, Star Trek is fictional and should be put in perspective as a piece of fiction, but it at least teaches us about positive morals and lessons in life. It also makes us think about how things could be if we were to imagine greater. It even engages our minds in the scientific possibilities of life, too.

6. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Then we should also closely examine Trek actors and how they live their lives. If the actor is not a good role model, then we should not use the characters they play as role models. Players and actors have much in common. Both play a role: one as a performer on a field of competition; the other as a performer on a stage or screen. As an adult, I have learned to tell the difference between part played and person playing the part.

7. Luther Sloan

Sector 7:

The two are not the same thing.
    There is a difference between admiring moral traits within a fictional character and admiring the way someone throws a ball. I don't need to know the actor's real life in order to gain or learn from the fictional character. But what do I get when I see a famous sports person in action? Wow. He really can throw that ball really good. Well, that doesn't really help me, although it's really good for him, though.

8. Anticitizen

Anticitizen Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

9. Jonas Grumby

Jonas Grumby Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Yeesh!

Is that "When Did Star Trek Jump the Shark" thread still open? :lol:

10. Angela 0077

Angela 0077 Captain

Well if this is really true question.

Wearing a costume in public could bring good vibes or it could bring trouble.

These days alot of people can be objective to doing this but then it depends what you are wearing.

I know l did watch a series on tv where this guy was in a club and they would go to a park and play out there fantasys.and play sword games and they were all dressed up

The series was called Beauty And The Geek.

So maybe if you go out as a group it would proberly be alright.

or you could just put a costume on at home at least there you wouldnt get objections.

11. Luther Sloan

Yeah, I am not sure how it is in certain parts in Australia, but here in the States: people can pretty much get away with dressing up any way they would like. Especially in really big cities where there are a lot of unusual dressed people.

Last edited: May 7, 2010
  12. Anji

Anji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI
    If you feel the need to show your appreciation of the series get a logo pin and wear it on your lapel.

Save the costume for some place where people can appreciate it, like a convention.

13. Luther Sloan

Yeah, I have a faded black T-shirt with a small Maquis emblem on one side of the chest. And nobody but me knows it is related to Star Trek. Unless they are familiar with the Maquis symbol that is. I also have a bright blue Niners baseball cap. Also, another subtle Star Trek piece of apparel.

I suppose it's my dirty little Star Trek secret. They see it. But they don't see it.

14. Angela 0077

Angela 0077 Captain

Well in the town l live people can look out of place so people stare or remark on a person who looks different.

If you come from the city of Melbourne there are all kinds of people and proberly this type of dress would be normal

I am not sure if they have any clubs in melbourne dedicated to Startrek.

But l know they have conventions and events on different other things

15. Angela 0077

Angela 0077 Captain

The cap and t shirt would be cool Luther.

16. Luther Sloan

Thank you.

17. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    It depends on how attractive you are. Hot people can get away with anything.

18. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

The admiration come from the level of competition and dedication necessary to get to where they are are in the world, some of these guys are literally one in a million.

It occurs to me that if this guy is walking around commando then the length of the skirt might be a form of bragging. The skirt has to be long enough to hide your junk, the longer the skirt, the more of a man you are.

This man's skirt is half way to his knees, hmmmm.

(I really need to go on a date)

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2010
  19. Cheapjack

Cheapjack Fleet Captain

It was hinted in one of the 1970's novelisations, that women might go bare-breasted in the 23rdC!!

20. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

That's a huge sweeping statement.

Plenty of professional sports people lead inspirational daily lives, just as numerous ST actors (and fictitious Starfleet officers for that matter) have disgraced themselves.

Yep, AUSTREK. After my Sydney club, ASTREX, wound down in the early 90s, AUSTREK became the longest-running ST club in the southern hemisphere. At its peak it probably had about 800 members.

But it's not a skirt. It can't ride up. One leg is wrapped snugly by the material.