We have lost TrekBBS moderator Mallory.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by T'Bonz, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Captain Pike

Captain Pike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Shocking news. I extend my heartfelt condolences to his family. :(

2. Snow

Snow Vice Admiral Admiral

Rest in Peace, John.
    You were a wonderful contribution to our Board and you were a long-time friend to me.
    I know you suffered for a long time and you battled back so many times against great odds.
    You were beyond brave.

My condolences to Mrs. Mallory and your wonderful children.

3. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

Mine and Garth's. Garth wanted to transfer forums and Mallory transferred over to the forum. Can't tell you the time frame though, but I think it might have been around 2004/5.

4. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

Reading through all the many words of condolence he's received, this is the one that sticks out as ringing most true to my own impression of the Mallory I saw on the board. Fair, even, clear, definite, honourable... yes, a class act.

It makes the choice of smilie that now bears his name so very appropriate. :mallory:

RIP "Ensign" Mallory

5. Camren

Camren Commodore Commodore

Sad news. R.I.P, buddy.

6. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

cultcross has summed it up pretty well, as many others have. Having lost several family members to cancer, and gone through some nasty depression in my younger days, I was really glad to share Mallory's friendship and fellowship. He will be missed. :mallory:

7. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

8. Solarbaby

Solarbaby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

:mallory:R.I.P. Mallory x

9. TrekkieMonster

TrekkieMonster Commodore Commodore

Please, please do.

Today, the one thing I have thought of more than anything else is chatting with him before my flight home last June to visit family and saying very casually that we should get together sometime at one of those establishments and have a few brews ... but it just didn't work out. I was tied up with family the whole week ... and I thought there would be time ....

And, because I am the Star Trek geek that I am, what keeps coming to mind is Soran's line from Generations: "They say time is the fire in which we burn. .... We leave so many things unfinished in our lives." :weep:

I have worked hard most of my adult to stop regretting things I have done and not done, but this I regret very, very much.

And he would likely laugh, understanding why I am now compelled to say Go BEAVS!!! :mallory:

10. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Understood.

Two weeks from now, it will be Go Trojans!

I'm sure he'll be looking down wondering what the hell happened to his Beloved Ducks.

:lol:

11. DanCPA

DanCPA Admiral Admiral

Shocking news. My sincerest condolences to his family.
    We are worse off without you

12. the 4th hanson bro

the 4th hanson bro No one can resist my Schweddy Balls Admiral

Mallory was a unique person and I feel very fortunate to have gotten to know him during my time on the board, and especially as a mod.

I feel very lucky to have served as a mod with him. While he didn't say much, if anything, about his battle with cancer out here, in the briefing room he pulled the curtain back and allowed us to be part of his fight.

From its return, through chemo, through a bone marrow transplant, through a clean bill of health, and through its return again and his ultimate passing, he displayed a grace and courage that was inspirational. I don't think he once asked for our pity or sorrow, nor did he expect it. He was in the fight to win and had done it twice but cancer wouldn't take the hint.

The word inspirational sometimes gets thrown around lightly. Mallory was, without intending to be, an inspiration. His love for his family, his pride in his kids' accomplishments, and his steadfast resolve to beat cancer into submission made up the man.

The board and the world shine a bit less brightly with his passing.

Godspeed Mallory, and watch out for exploding rocks.

13. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

I liked to tease him about the time my school, Colorado State, beat Oregon in a bowl game. He was shocked that they could have done that! :mallory:

14. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

He was an Oregon Ducks fan.

He was shocked a lot over the years....

:lol:

;)

15. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I also thought this was about him stepping down as mod. Thought he'd beaten his cancer too.

R.I.P.

His last post was exactly two months ago.

16. MANT!

MANT! Vice Admiral Admiral

A good man, would've made a fine shipmate...

I knew he had issues with his health, but I never thought they were this grave..

Mallory, requiescat in pace

My condolences to his family and friends..

17. Geck

Geck Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Damn. A great guy - I never had anything but the highest regard for him over the years.

Cheers to you, Mal :mallory:

18. galleywest

galleywest Lovable Flake Premium Member

Mallory was a great person who faced his illness with aplomb and grace. His honesty, his humor, and his courage gave me an amazing insight into a struggle that I couldn't even begin to imagine otherwise. Someone else said that he never got bogged down with negativity, and that's so very true. He did have his ups and his downs but he never pitied himself. I feel very lucky to have known him, and just very, very sad that he's gone now.

The place won't be quite the same without him. My thoughts are with his family, I hope they're doing okay.

19. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

^^ He really appreciated your Voodoo Doll. :)

20. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

Because of him, I was always rooting for the Ducks when they weren't playing Cal. If there is anyone who should be used to being shocked over the years, it's Cal fans. :p