We have lost TrekBBS moderator Mallory.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by T'Bonz, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Eyes

Eyes Commodore Commodore

RIP Mallory. I didn't know him all that well, but he seemed like a nice guy.

My deepest condolences to his family.

2. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Such sad news...R.I.P.

3. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I am heartbroken about this. As long as I have been a Mod, I have been awestruck by Mallory's courage and determination, and the humor and grace that he showed in facing a situation that would drive a lesser man to despair and bitterness. We always did what we could to offer comfort and support, but I think he was the one offering comfort and support to the rest of us.

I'll never say, or believe, that Mal lost his battle with cancer. The disease that assaulted him was serious and by all medical indications he should have been dead years ago. Instead he somehow beat it into submission. Twice. If, by the third time, his body was too worn out by the rigors of chemo to take any more-- well, by that time he had already graduated to the ranks of superhuman in my eyes. His incredible courage gave him more time with his family and friends that he appreciated keenly, and allowed him to share important milestones with his children that gave him great joy. And it gave us more time with him; time to learn from him about how to face adversity.

I'm a man who admires heroism, that special Human ability to somehow go beyond the limits of the possible, to give more than you thought you had and to put the lie to the fear there is no meaning. And I've never known, read about, or written about anyone who had more heroism in his heart than Mal.

RIP, John. This world is a better place for your being here.

4. Cali

Cali Admiral Admiral

Such sad news to wake up to. RIP Mallory.

I remember having fun posting in the Lounges with him, and I'm another one who will always remember how much love he had for his family, and how proud he was of them.

5. StolenThunder

StolenThunder Poster Premium Member

Top guy. He will be missed.

6. The Laughing Vulcan

The Laughing Vulcan Admiral Admiral

This place feels a little empty today...

RIP.

7. JAG

JAG Vice Admiral Admiral

:mallory:

RIP Mallory and Godspeed. My condolences and prayers are with his family.

8. May 20

May 20 Consumer of cookies and milk Premium Member

I'm not very eloquent this morning. I can't put my feelings about losing Mallory into words yet.

He taught me how to fight -- with bravery, laughter, and your whole heart one day at a time. I will miss him dearly.

May God hold his family close as they grieve for him, and may God welcome him home.

9. Mary Ann

Mary Ann Knitting is honourable Admiral

My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends. RIP.

10. CaptJimboJones

CaptJimboJones Vice Admiral Admiral

Amid the all-too-negative and cynical voices that populate the 'net, Mallory was a true class act. Godspeed to his next destination, wherever that may be, and my thoughts and prayers to his friends and family. He will certainly be missed.

11. kathryn i am

kathryn i am Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Requiesat in pace, Mallory.

My condolences to his family and friends, as well as to all the people who knew him well through TrekBBS. Knowing someone "only" online doesn't make their loss any easier to bear.

12. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

I've been more or less a bit absent from the boards for the last few months so I had no idea that the cancer had returned. So very very sad to hear this, and my thoughts go out to his family.

Mallory was always a class act, great fun, kind, respectful and overall a great, great guy. I didn't know as well I'd like to have but I will miss him a lot, that is certain.

Rest in peace Mallory. See you in that next place.

:mallory:

13. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

I never interacted with him, but this is very sad to hear nonetheless.

14. TrekkieMonster

TrekkieMonster Commodore Commodore

This has really shaken me. Of course I didn't know him personally, but had many good and amusing conversations with him over the years. It was always especially fun for me to be able to reminisce with someone from my home state about it's special character ... quirks.

You will be missed, Mallory. My only wish is that you and your family may now find peace. Here's to ya. :mallory:

15. Gibraltar

Gibraltar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Awful news. :( Mallory was a terrific guy. He shall be missed.

16. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Oh damn. I am so very sorry to hear this. Guy was awesome. A real class act. I will remember him dearly. My thoughts to his family and friends.

Addio, amico mio. Ci mancherai.

17. Evil Robert

Evil Robert Admiral Admiral

This is just depressing :(

I actually caught up with Mallory back in August 2004 when my work took me to Portland, Oregon for 5 weeks. Mallory was the first trekbbser I actually met.

18. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

Sad news.
    My condolences to his family and friends, strength to them.

19. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I knew he was ill but damn, he was one of the best moderators around here :(

20. Evil Robert

Evil Robert Admiral Admiral

I actually came across a couple of goofy photos we took together back when I met him in 2004 when unpacking a box. Maybe I should scan them and post them.

He was super fun to meet and hang with. He introduced me to several of Oregon's microbrewery beers that day.