WB's Justice League 2017 movie pre-discussion thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Samurai8472, Jun 21, 2016.

1. LJones41

LJones41 Commodore Commodore

And yet I still prefer "Batman v. Superman" over "Wonder Woman". Hmmm.

2. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore

And I prefer Godzilla vs. Hedorah (1971) over Citizen Kane (1941). Won't claim that it's better, but I prefer it.

The Nth Doctor and kirk55555 like this.
  3. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So...... definitely NOT in the camp about the death of Snyder's daughter as PART of a conspiracy ... simply a coincidence that might work out for the film (at least for some audience members).

I hear the idea that reshoots aren't a big deal...and I think SOMETIMES that is true...but also, just a few minutes of film, even WITHOUT big special affects can great affect how it is perceived. The last few minutes of The Last Samurai, where Tom Cruise is shown to have survived, basically ruins the film. Had he been the Last Samurai for a couple of minutes (before dying), it would have been a cool movie. But by that short scene, it becomes a perceived trope of Cruise being the super-hero of the movie, and loses my interest in it.

I think Snyder has done the same thing, with those scenes of Jonathan & Martha later in life...it totally takes away scenes when Clark was younger, and they showed real love and wise guidance for Clark.

With Justice League, I hope (and exect) Whedon will add or delete scenes which will make us "like"the Justice League, and hopefully feel like a comic book movie.

I would hope, with the grief he & his wife have to deal with, won't "claim his right" to have the movie he "intended it" (which is what I hear the Guild rules are supposed to ensure), but just let it go, and even if Whedon changes some major things of the movie, will just let it go, and be gracious in the final product. His leaving wasn't really predicated on disputes with WB -- it was personal. So I don't think he'll show bitterness, even if things are different than he initially filmed.

4. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

It would, of course, be HIGHLY unprofessional of Whedon to do anything to substantially change the film from Snyder's wishes (unless those wishes are not clearly articulated--something I doubt very much). It would also be rather asshole-ish of the studio to use this "opportunity" to obtain an outcome it was unwilling to demand upfront. Of course, all this rampant speculation rests on unproven assumptions: A) that Whedon wants to alter Snyder's plans, B) the studio doesn't like Snyder's plans and C) that any alterations would necessarily be "better" than Snyder's plans.

I'd like to think Whedon will do what he's been hired to do--no less, but certainly, no more.

5. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

With the exception of firing the composer and hiring a new one?

6. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

I'm aware of the change of composer but not the circumstances behind the change. Not really thrilled with the change but paid little attention to it.

7. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

My only point is that Whedon is clearly exerting some influence on the film beyond "what Snyder would have wanted".

kirk55555 likes this.
  8. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Was the change in composers Whedon's idea?

9. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I don't know, but it happened after he took over. So either Whedon or the studio vetoed a Snyder decision.

10. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Or it was the final thing he signed off on before he left.

11. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Junkie XL himself certainly seems to imply that it was not Zack's call.

12. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I see the composer situation as a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation for Joss. While he I'm sure he intends to follow through with Zack Snyder's vision, he has still been tasked with finishing this film and making decisions that he feels are best for the final product. That is the job he signed on for, and he has been given the final say. From this point on, he has to do what he feels is best for the movie. Is this the same decision that Zack would have made? Perhaps not. But the studio must have backed the decision, or else the decision would never have been made.

13. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Any film can benefit from a Director's Cut, as no film is perfect. The Godfather might be as close to near-perfect as a film can get, but even that gained something from the director's version.

14. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore

Then perhaps Wonder Woman, like The Godfather, will receive a director's cut, some 36 years later.

15. LJones41

LJones41 Commodore Commodore

I don't know if I would regard "The Godfather" as near-perfect. But I do feel that it is a first-rate film.

Is there a director's cut for "Wonder Woman"? If so, perhaps it could clear up the issue of Ares and mankind's warlike penchant for me.

16. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

It's currently playing in theaters. ;)

(there won't be an ultimate or extended edition when it comes out on home media)

Jax and Nerys Myk like this.
  17. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Thought some of you might get a kick out of this. Someone imagined Batman v Superman as a 90s movie, with Bruce Willis as Batman and John Cusack as Superman. :D

18. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

That was fun. But considering the chunks of Runaway Jury they used, I was surprised they didn't use Gene Hackman's line, "...And this man doesn't give a single, solitary droplet of shit about truth, justice or your American way." ;)

19. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

I don't know about Willis or Cusack back then, but Connelly is an inspired choice.

20. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

I watched it earlier, what perturbed me was not including Wonder Woman. Even if it was just as Diana Prince, say Angelina Jolie or Catherine Zeta-Jones