Watching Buck Rogers In The 25th Century

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gingerbread Demon, Oct 5, 2019.

1. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

Why, if I may ask?

Also what if they upscaled the little people to say 30cm tall instead of the 10 or 15 inplied by the original show? At least then the little people could stand a fighting chance and their weapons would cause some damage to the giants.

In the original show the giants were supposedly 60ft tall which makes zero sense since isn't that the height of a 747?

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

It made sense from a production standpoint, since everything was exactly 12 times bigger so you could easily calculate the size of giant props and sets just by replacing inches with feet.

3. Gingerbread Demon

Oh OK I didn't know that. I thought 60 ft was just some random figure they pulled out of a hat. Still seems amazing so a 747 is the height of a giant from LOTG .

4. Skipper

Skipper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I used the words "Dark matter" (because they seem so scienc-y and exotic ;)) just to represent what kind of pseudo-scientific explanation they probably would use to justify why giants seem to violate the laws of physics. Or they are made of some "hyper-dimensional stuff" or whatever. The author of Attack on Titan (great manga & anime by the way) used similar explanations for the titular titans.

[​IMG]

Gingerbread Demon likes this.
  5. Gingerbread Demon

Ah OK

Skipper likes this.
  6. Skipper

And in the manga they even said that a Titan body is incredibly light. So, evidently, the author put a lot of thought into it ;)
    [​IMG]
    image uploader

7. Christopher

Always takes me a moment to remember that manga needs to be read right to left.

Skipper likes this.
  8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Again: The square-cube law.

Giants as depicted in that show can't exist IRL. Their own weight would crush them.

Skipper likes this.
  9. Skipper

And if gravity were the same as Earth's, when a giant drop an object, it would seem to us that the fall is in slow motion in relation to their height.

10. Gingerbread Demon

OK I never gave that much thought but it makes sense. As a kid I assumed the gravity on their world was the same as Earth so regardless of size you can still walk.

11. Gingerbread Demon

Well at least they never got pervy

12. Pubert

Pubert Vice Admiral Admiral

Well it depends on the size of the planet. The giants probably lived on a larger planet which means a higher gravity.

Gingerbread Demon likes this.
  13. Christopher

There's no reason why species size would correlate to planet size (after all, our planet has everything from amoebas to blue whales), although in the fantasy premise of a world that's exactly like Earth but 12 times bigger, it probably would be a bigger planet by the show's internal logic. Although since it's a fantasy, gravity doesn't have to make sense.

If anything, higher gravity would promote the evolution of shorter, squatter beings, since falls from any height would be more dangerous. Also, of course, higher gravity would make it hard for the Spindrift crew to move around on the giants' planet.

14. Gingerbread Demon

Well if Earth's gravity would be bad for giants how does King Kong walk and move?

15. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

With stop motion animation ;)

Redfern likes this.
  16. Gingerbread Demon

Boom tish.....

Morpheus 02 likes this.
  17. Christopher

There's a reason bipedal giants only exist in fantasy. Although the original King Kong was fairly small compared to most cinematic kaiju.

18. Skipper

This is the biggest land animal. It's almost a parallelepiped. After a certain height a bipedal form isn't very efficient. IRL very tall people suffer from various health problems.
    [​IMG]

19. StarCruiser

StarCruiser Commodore Commodore

Well - that the biggest land animal -now- but, MUCH larger creatures existed millions of years back.

The Dinosaurs had some giants among them that would qualify for Kaiju. In particular, the Sauropods:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauropoda

How did they live? How could they walk? For one thing, I suspect more oxygen in the atmosphere (both by volume and percentage) combined with bones that were partly hollow (like a bird's) made it more practical. Size meant defense vs. predators (we all know about the ol' T-Rex), and probably gave some other efficiency advantages vs. smaller forms. Food was probably plentiful - until that asteroid came along...

20. Christopher

But they were quadrupedal, of course. And the largest were only in the range of 30 meters from head to tail, while even the first, smallest Godzilla was 50 meters tall. Even a small kaiju like Baragon is a lot more massive than a sauropod, since most of that 30 meters in a sauropod is neck and tail and the body is a relatively small portion.