Watching Buck Rogers In The 25th Century

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gingerbread Demon, Oct 5, 2019.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

It was par for the course for Irwin Allen shows to start out relatively smart and serious and get increasingly campy and silly. It happened to all four of his SF series.

2. Pubert

Pubert Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah I believe there was also a episode with a leprechaun! I haven’t seen that one but my brother said it was there. The first season was very serious and quite realistic. The second not bad also. I never reached the 3rd to find out how far it went into camp. But a leprechaun? Lol!

3. Skipper

Skipper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[​IMG]

....ok... :wtf:

Galileo7 likes this.
  4. Pubert

Pubert Vice Admiral Admiral

Holy pointed leprechaun hats Batman!

Lol!!

N-121973 and Galileo7 like this.
  5. Skipper

This article affirms that
    And a...
    mummy?!?!
    [​IMG]
    :wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf:

Galileo7 likes this.
  6. Skipper

I have read the synopsis of the episode Doomsday, and I have to say that I would like to watch it.

I would be curious to know what the actors thought when they went from a serious episode about the Cold War paranoia to fighting werevolves...

7. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would be interested to see a comparison, adjusted for inflation, between the 60's shows and Buck Rogers.

And I wonder if Buck could.have benefited from repeat scenes, like Filmation's Flash Gordon (I.e. The stock shot of Hawkmen being vaporized or Ming's robots falling apart)

Are you talking about the melting pumpkinhead guy? Wasnt that used in at least 2 separate episodes?

Gingerbread Demon likes this.
  8. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Actually CBS (and Irwin Allan) wanted to do a Season 4 - but Guy Williams in particular balked and said no during contract negotiations because he was tired of being a background character to Dr. Smith (Johnathan Harris), Will (Bill Mumy) and the Robot for two of the 3 seasons of the show.

Forbin likes this.
  9. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What was it David Gerrold stated in either "The Making of 'The Trouble with Tribbles'" or "The World of Star Trek"? "Concept begets format begets formula." That notion has stuck with me for some 45 years.

10. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

No the episode was about plants... It was titled "The Great Vegetable Rebellion"

See here, 2nd to last episode on the list. Junkyard In Space was the final episode.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Lost_in_Space_episodes#Season_3_(1967–68)

I don't blame him for feeling that way. I'd be bummed out as well and wanting to leave.

Shaka Zulu and Australis like this.
  11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, I was reading through the episode descriptions of the first and last seasons of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea on IMDB, and the difference is pretty remarkable.

Skipper likes this.
  12. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yep, Gerrold's point was that it takes a lot of effort to stop format becoming repetitive formula.

13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I think it was more that there's a temptation to get lazy and give into formula. It's not like it's some intense pressure you have to struggle against, more like it's what you'll end up settling for if you relax your standards or try to take the easy route.

14. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

Um. In other words, it takes a lot of effort to stop a format becoming repetitive formula? :rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  15. Skipper

Yep. If I had been one of the actors, I would have felt rather embarrassed...

History has told us the reactions of the protagonists of Lost in the Space about about the campiness of the later seasons, unfortunately the same has not happened for Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea...

16. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

Well be thankful modern movies didn't remake Land Of The Giants. One can only think what kind of content they would shove in.

Speaking of which look what someone did with some Legos. Amazing model.

http://www.moc-pages.com/moc.php/368784

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  17. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Only because somebody remembered the square-cube law...

18. Skipper

Probably they would say something like "they are made of dark matter!" or whatever

19. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That is unlikely at best. Since so many of the main cast are deceased, unless their papers contain something, we'll never know.

20. Skipper

Perhaps some old interview..?