Watch List to Prep for ST: Picard

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by Spot's Meow, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Those portions of All Good Things that show future Picard as a grumpy old man.

2. HaventGotALife

HaventGotALife Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Encounter at Farpoint
    Q Who?
    The Best of Both Worlds
    Family
    I, Borg
    Tapestry
    All four TNG Movies
    Star Trek (2009).

Just a guess.

M-Red likes this.
  3. HaventGotALife

HaventGotALife Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sisko confronted Picard (Patrick Stewart was a Guest Star) over the USS Saratoga, of which Sisko was First Officer, being destroyed at Wolf 359. Ben actually wanted to leave DS9, at that point, because he was "raising a son alone and this is not the ideal environment." When confronted, Picard was sullen, withdrawn. Ben was telling at him, and Picard softly said "dismissed." Picard later approached Sisko and told him his mission was, short of breaking the Prime Directive, to see that the Bajorans are ready to join the Federation. Ben is kidnapped by the Dominion and told to stop violating their territory. The Changelings lead the Dominion, and fear and mistrust solids or monoforms. The Cardassians are invaded by the Klingons, and the main Cardassians on the show, negotiates for them to join the Dominion to vanquish Cardassian foes--the Maquis and Klingons. The Federation condemned the Klingon invasion caused by a change in government, a Civilian one, from their military dictatorship. The Klingons think it's the Changelings infiltrating the Cardassian forces. Not true, but all this is to say that the Klingons went to war with the Federation after tensions and recalling Ambassadors. They become allies after Cardassia join the Dominion. The peace goes badly, including a nonagression pact between the Romulans and the Dominion. This causes Sisko to blockade the Gamma Quadrant's entrance to the Alpha, the wormhole, and the blockade being an act of war, starts a 2-year bloodbath for the Federation. With the aid of a former Obsiden Order agent (the CIA of the Cardassians under military rule) Garak, now exiled from Cardassia, no friend of Dukat, and current tailor on DS9, assassinates a Romulan Senator sent to investigate manufactured Federation evidence of a Dominion plot to invade Romulus. With the data rod with falsified evidence from Garak, on an exploded shuttle, and the Senator dead, the Romulans, feeling threatened, enter the war on our side. This fact is never revealed to the Romulans. The Federation wins the war, Picard is offered peace by Shinzon. Then, Romulus explodes after Spock failed to save them. From Picard's perspective, after mind-melding with both Sarek and Spock, Ambassador Spock is dead. He is lost in the Kelvin Timeline, and unless he can contact Picard and the 24th century somehow, disappeared in a black hole meant to save Romulus.

Those are the major political plot points of DS9 that may influence Picard.

Spot's Meow likes this.
  4. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

All Good Things.

Star Trek 2009.

5. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah. I think the end-state of things when DS9 closed will likely be somewhat important for PIC, because for all intents and purposes, it's the last we know about the political status of the Alpha/Beta quadrant. The final two years of Voyager said very little (even though Reginald Barclay became something of a recurring character). Nemesis didn't have that much of import either, and the little bit it arguably did (signs that Picard was building a real trusting relationship with a faction in the Romulan government) was pretty much blown to bits by Hobus.

So, for example, we could find out that Martok is still Klingon Chancellor, Rom is still Grand Negus of the Ferengi Alliance, Garak is still involved in Cardassian governance, the Dominion has kept its head down, etc.

6. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

With all these series and Short Treks, and how Kurtzman has a 5-to-10-year plan, I wonder if Picard is a gateway to doing other productions, some of which might deal with the aftermath of DS9 more directly?

7. PT109

PT109 Lieutenant Commander Premium Member

So, um, my list has evolved.

BOBW
    Family
    I, Borg
    Unification
    Descent
    FC
    Scorpion
    Unimatrix Zero(?)

Paul Weaver likes this.
  8. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

What about
    VOY's Endgame and Nemesis? Given Seven being featured.

PT109 likes this.
  9. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I'd add Nemesis given how they refer to Data's death.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    PT109 likes this.
  10. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

That was Nemesis, not Insurrection. :)

11. Turtletrekker

Thanks. Fixed.

12. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

In the new DS9 documentary "What We Left Behind" (which seems to be doing well) the original writing team plot out a very interesting new episode set 20 years later- I'm wondering if they could do something with that?

13. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Now that we have more information, I'd say:

"Encounter at Farpoint" (TNG)
    "Datalore" (TNG)
    "The Measure of a Man" (TNG)
    "Q Who?" (TNG)
    "The Enemy" (TNG)
    "The Defector" (TNG)
    "The Offspring" (TNG)
    "The Best of Both Worlds" (TNG)
    "Family" (TNG)
    "Brothers" (TNG)
    "Unification" (TNG)
    "I, Borg" (TNG)
    "Face of the Enemy" (TNG)
    "Tapestry" (TNG)
    "The Chase" (TNG)
    "Descent" (TNG)
    "Gambit" (TNG)
    "Attached" (TNG)
    "Inheritance" (TNG)
    "All Good Things" (TNG)
    Star Trek: Generations
    Star Trek: First Contact

"Unity" (VOY)
    "Scorpion" (VOY)
    "The Gift" (VOY)
    "Hope and Fear" (VOY)
    "Dark Frontier" (VOY)
    "Survival Instinct" (VOY)
    "Unimatrix Zero" (VOY)
    "Endgame" (VOY)
    Star Trek: Nemesis

I don't feel like the Dominion War will factor into Picard.

This list covers Picard's youth, his family, other options in his life, his relationship with Crusher, one possible future, his experiences with the Borg, and covers territory dealing with ex-Borg and Borg who freed themselves from the Collective, while also hitting some key Seven of Nine episodes in the process. It also covers Soong type Androids, and key Data moments such as the definition of his rights, his family, and what happened to him. You also get a well-rounded enough sense of Romulans in the TNG Era and what they were like before Hobus. Added bonus: If Q appears, he's already well-represented in this list.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    ITDUDE and 777 like this.
  14. Turtletrekker

Star Trek (2009) for the destruction of Romulus.

15. Oz Trekkie

Oz Trekkie Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Best of Both Worlds
    Best of Both Worlds part 2
    Family
    I, Borg
    Descent
    Descent part 2
    Endgame
    Nemesis
    Star Trek 2009

16. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

Ok here's mine

THE NEXT GENERATION
    Encounter at Farpoint (first appearance)
    Q Who? (first Borg)
    The Best of Both Worlds (pivotal)
    Family
    I, Borg (Hugh introduced)
    Descent (Hugh returns, Borg colony)
    All Good Things... (last episode; possible futures that are now clearly ignored!!)

VOYAGER
    Scorpion (7 of 9 introduced)
    Dark Frontier (major Borg ep)
    Unimatrix Zero
    Endgame (last VGR, possible end for most of the Borg?)

THE MOVIES
    First Contact (Borg)
    Nemesis (last appearance for TNG crew [up til now!], major shift in Romulan politics)
    Star Trek 2009 (destruction of Romulus)

Oz Trekkie likes this.
  17. NewHeavensNewEarth

NewHeavensNewEarth Commodore Commodore

If they just take the first 10-15 minutes of the show for a montage of "Previously...on Star Trek: The Next Generation," it'll get everybody more or less up to speed. :lol:

Terok Nor likes this.
  18. penguin44

penguin44 Captain Captain

I, Borg

19. Terok Nor

Terok Nor Commodore Commodore

TNG Episodes

Best Of Both Worlds Parts 1 and 2
    Family
    Unification Parts 1 and 2
    I, Borg
    Decent Parts 1 and 2
    All Good Things...
    Star Trek Generations
    Star Trek : First Contact
    Star Trek Nemesis

Voyager Episodes

Unity
    Scorpion Parts 1 and 2
    The Gift
    Dark Frontier Parts 1 and 2
    Endgame

cosmic mouse, Cyrus and 777 like this.
  20. trekfan_1

trekfan_1 Commander Red Shirt

As some already probably know, a Picard focused blu ray is coming out soon to serve as a sorta "primer" to get you ready for the Picard series. While some of selections are good, its more of a straight on "best of Picard" collection rather than episodes and movies that could possibly tie in to the new show. Based on all the information I know about the show (via official trailers, panel /promotional interviews, and articles), here is my list of episodes and movies in the Star Trek universe that should be seen prior to "Picard" and a short blurb as to why I think they're worthy of re-watch.

1. TNG - "Measure of a Man". - Picard/Data relationship. Gives depth to their friendship which will also be a story point in "Picard"

2. TNG - "Best of Both Worlds" 1 and 2 - Borg in "Picard" seems to be a major story point, Locutus could be a story point too. Obvious choice.

3. TNG - "Family" - Episode is a soft sequel to BOBW, vineyard /Picard retirement tie in, lots of good character depth for Picard. Worthy re-watch in my opinion.

4. TNG - "Unification" Parts 1 and 2 - The Picard /Romulan tie-in here makes this another obvious choice IMO.

5. TNG - "I, Borg" - Hugh and The Borg being in the show makes this an obvious choice. (Great episode too)

6. TNG - "The Inner Light" - This one is worthy purely on some great character depth for Picard. There could be tie-ins if his love of music or the flute is featured in anyway in the show or the show's soundtrack .

7. TNG - "Decent" Part 1 and 2. - Since Hugh will be in Picard, makes sense to watch the episode he last appeared in.

8. TNG - "All Good Things" - The "future" Picard experiences via Q's test could tie to the show (Picard's mental disorder, retiring at the vineyard etc)

9. 'Star Trek Generations" - More depth for Picard character, along the same vain as "Family" .(losing his brother, choosing not to marry etc).

10. "Star Trek: First Contact". Obvious Borg connection.

11."Star Trek: Insurrection". Ok no real connection here but all TNG films are worthy watches IMO prior to Picard

12. VGR - "End Game" - Makes sense to revisit the last time we ever saw the Borg in Star Trek chronologically. 7 of 9 connection.

13. "Star Trek Nemesis". - Obvious connection with Data/B4, Romulans. This is the last time we saw Picard/Data heading into "Picard"

14. "Star Trek" 2009. Romulus destruction is an obvious tie in to the show.

Honorable mention: TNG - "The Pegasus" - Captain Picard Day. :hugegrin:

This list assumes one would be generally familiar with TNG era shows. Personally I plan to watch these in the days leading up to Picard. List could change based on new info that is learned between now and the premiere.

Thoughts?

Would love to see other lists from the Trekbbs posters here.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
    Cyrus likes this.