Wasn't their suppose to be a character in a wheelchair in season 2?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Jayson1, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

No, it's not. And Discovery is listed as a science vessel first and foremost anyway even if that were true. Most of the people onboard are there for their scientific expertise.

They have someone with a far more basic version of Geordi's VISOR that only shows 80's disco strobe outlines work a transporter, it's all good.

2. Crazyewok

Crazyewok Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah and picard has a full set of hair in TNG :lol:

It fights wars, it's a military.

SolarisOne, JoeZhang and Refuge like this.
  3. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I guess the Klingon - Federation war was fought by the little known Federation Stellar Coast Guard?

SolarisOne likes this.
  4. SpocksOddSocks

SpocksOddSocks Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm sure they mention the possibility of implants quite early on TNG. Whilst Beverly mentions that it's remarkable kit, I think they implied it was outdated tech, but there was some reason Geordi couldn't use better at the time. Kind of how Kirk was allergic to retinax (or whatever it's called). I'm assuming that, by the time he actually gets his implants, a solution had been found to work around whatever complications there were (possibly even earlier, but he was already used to the visor).

5. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree.

And that same general logic might apply to why the man in the wheelchair might still require a wheelchair when other technology measures might be available to him (prosthetic legs, etc).

6. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Discovery's crew had no idea how to fight until a MU mercenary taught them. No one in the war responded like it was their job to fight it, and they did incredibly badly at it.

So if there are a military, obviously other than the 12 Constitution class crews, they're all very bad at it.

Deledrius likes this.
  7. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Good point about Disco's areas with stairs, but I'd like to think that 23rd century wheelchairs are able to circumnavigate stairs in some nifty CGI fashion. Maybe we'll see that yet...

8. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not even sure why wheelchairs in the future would even use wheels. I mean they have anti-grav tech so you think they could hover instead.

Jason

9. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

The idea is that Starfleet would be an inclusive place for those who are differently abled. Or would Federation member species that naturally have much less mobility than most humans also be barred from joining Starfleet?

Kor

NewHeavensNewEarth likes this.
  10. Jayson1

I think Starfleet would allow anyone in if they were capable of doing at least half of the requirements. Might ge some restrictions in terms of landing parties or at least those that don't use shuttles or vehicles but I don't think they would reject smart people under any situation. While Starfleet is a military it is also NASA as well. It's the future and it's a form of miltiary and NASA that we simply don't have here in the modern world. A future military is not going to be just like ones you have in 2019. There would be differences that come with the way human societies have changed in the future.

Jason

SolarisOne likes this.
  11. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

There was a hover chair in Season 1.

12. Jayson1

Was that the same one and guy who you see wheel by in the hallways this season?

Jason

13. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

George Alevizos is the actor. We don't know who his character is yet.

14. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You must not have seen the ramps that extend automatically when the wheelchair comes in proximity. ;)

15. Fateor

Fateor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Why would they need Wheelchairs at all when they could just have anyone who's disabled in such a manner who can't just get fixed via medical technology use an exoskeleton?

16. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

There's no evidence that they have that kind of tech.

17. Fateor

Fateor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Wrong.
    [​IMG]

F. King Daniel likes this.
  18. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

Maybe he just preferred the visor. Some people prefer glasses to contacts or corrective surgery.

Kitty Worrier and SolarisOne like this.
  19. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

They made a big deal about the VISOR being worlds better than mere vision. LaForge could have had ordinary eyes any day of the week, at least if we asked Dr. Pulaski. He just didn't want to get disabled like that, having to grope around half-blind like ordinary humans do.

In all incarnations of Trek, though, there has always been injury that cannot be fixed invisibly. DSC is full of war injuries, for which the very visible fixes may be temporary, and cosmetic surgery awaits in a few months. But Detmer for one seems to treat her prosthetics as jewelry now, not even bothering to wear a contact to alter her eye color. TOS had poor Leighton and his king-size eyepatch, and then Pike. TNG had LaForge and Jameson. DS9 had Bashir doing brain prosthetics but also old-fashioned slings and casts. ENT sorta skipped human prosthetics, but showed the Klingons coping with massive disfiguring "injury" by, apparently, being brave about it.

FWIW, I guess a guy in a conventional wheelchair would be much more useful to Starfleet than a guy lurching about like a zombie in a Melora rig...

Timo Saloniemi

20. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

That guy in the wheelchair always made me laugh every time I saw him. Must be a pain for him if the rollercoaster breaks down. :)
    The Discovery didn’t feel handicap accessible to me.