Warner Bros. Circling David Ayer for DC Comics’ ‘Suicide Squad’

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Enterprise is Great, Sep 20, 2014.

1. eyeresist

eyeresist Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A new featurette. Keep your eye out for a glimpse of a dark masked character who is NOT Batman:

(Also, I think Leto might be cosplaying as Classic Zod!)

2. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Where is the dark masked character??

3. eyeresist

eyeresist Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's at 3:38.
    I think it might be Catman.

Here's another trailer breakdown, though I'm posting this more for the actual trailer at the front, which includes some new dialog.

Plus ANOTHER trailer, which ends with a great Joker moment:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

That's not Catman, it's just some gunman in a Batman Halloween mask.

5. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The released cast list is in order of appearance, and the Flash appears right after Boomerang, who's traditionally a Flash rogue. So I'm guessing we'll get a flashback scene of Boomerang's capture by the Flash, analogous to the Batman-Joker-Harley flashback we already knew about.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

That would make sense.

8. Commander Richard

Commander Richard Yo! Man! Premium Member

The movie opens on August 1st and the grading thread is up.

Looks like Killer Croc wasn't the first choice for the resident monster. They wanted King Shark but scrapped the idea because they didn't want al all-CGI character. Source. King Shark appears on The Flash TV series as an all-CGI character.

9. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Around here it opens on the 5th ( which means that it really opens on the night of the 4th ).

10. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

T-Mobile subscribers get a free ticket on Fandango to any showing on Friday via the "Tuesdays" app. I suppose I'll be seeing this opening day after all.

11. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Here's the first review I've seen, from Variety. No great love for it. Interestingly enough, despite the promises that each DC director would get to imprint their own stamp on their own film, the review seems to imply that Ayer is bound by Snyder's restrictions:

http://bit.ly/2ay2xib

Updated to add Empire's 4/5 review, though the content of the actual review doesn't seem to be as positive as that might suggest:

http://www.empireonline.com/movies/suicide-squad/review/

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  12. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

This whole "blame Snyder for everything" is really getting old... I just don't get the level of personal hate that he gets that makes some people just unable to stop shitting on the guy even for things he had no involvement in.

Captaindemotion likes this.
  13. Captaindemotion

Here's what the critic said:
    "Personal hate" is putting a little strongly, IMHO. He doesn't like Snyder's style, though it is fair to say that DC/WB were insistent that each director would bring their own vision to the screen. Perhaps he wasn't aware of this.

14. dahj

I don't think it's strong enough.

The script was written by David Ayer, directed by David Ayer and David Ayer repeatedly stated he had full creative control and studio backing to realize his ideas.
    To then put the blame on Snyder, who isn't even a producer on Suicide Squad, just reeks of a complete lack of objectivity.

15. Captaindemotion

^ He (Snyder) is an executive producer. And the main criticism is of 'the corporate vision' which he believes led Ayer to conform to Snyder's style. Which may or may not be fair (haven't seen the movie, so I can't comment) but I doubt very much that professional critics are motivated by 'personal hatred.'

Turtletrekker likes this.
  16. dahj

I may have not expressed myself properly, I did not mean to imply that this critic in particular personally hates Synder, I meant to imply that it's popular these days to hate on Snyder as a person. He doesn't just get "I don't like his film" which would be a valid standpoint, he gets "he hates superheroes", "he doesn't understand comics", "he's a murderer" and whatever else people have leveled at him. And now he even gets painted as this boogeyman who ruins everything he's even remotely attached to.

Which is what that critic does, he makes a claim "for reasons beyond Ayer's control [...]he’s ultimately forced to conform to Snyder’s style", which is patently false and easily disproved by a simple google search of any David Ayer interview regarding this film. I don't see his bringing Snyder into it as anything else than a cheap shot at a popular target.

If he didn't like the film, that's fine, but why then immediately excuse the actual person in charge for its failings and blame another guy that had little to nothing do with it?

While criticism always ultimately comes down to personal tastes some objectivity has to be maintained, and that particular statement falls out of the realm of personal opinion. If you're gonna be a "professional" critic then check your damn sources before making baseless accusations.

17. Captaindemotion

^ okay, I'm with you a little more now. The review could also be taken as a swipe at WB/DC and corporate film-making as oppose to Snyder personally (though arguably he's set the template for the DCEU. But yes, Ayer made the movie and any criticism should really be directed at him, not Snyder, for its failings.

dahj likes this.
  18. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Please tell us you're not so naive as to entirely believe everything a director of a large-budget movie says before its release. Maybe Ayer was forced to conform to Snyder's style, or maybe the apparent similarity came organically. But the WB has been pushing the narrative that their directors are freer than Marvel Studios' as a marketing ploy, and the extent to which it may or may not be true certainly can't be understood in a "simple google search" by any of us here on the outside, and particularly not by the especially credulous.

The Wonder Woman teaser footage looked stylistically identical to BvS and the Justice League trailer: washed-out, heavy on muted greens and blues, with an unnaturally fast-moving hero. So maybe it's time to admit it's possible - not yet certain, but possible - that the DC/WB's insistence on their promotion of distinct directorial visions is corporate marketing bullshit, and that these movies are just as tonally consistent with each other as the MCU ones.

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I didn't really see anything that specifically brought Snyder to mind with the WW trailer. Most of what you're talking about is pretty typical of modern action movies in general, and not really stuff I saw as specifically Snyder.

20. Captaindemotion

^ I'm largely in agreement with you Gaith, but I thought that the WW & JL trailers, while similar to each other, looked much brighter in colour and lighter in tone than the 2 Snyder WB movies to date. But I took that as a corporate reaction to the criticism of BvS. Eye of the beholder and all that.