Warner Bros. Circling David Ayer for DC Comics’ ‘Suicide Squad’

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Enterprise is Great, Sep 20, 2014.

1. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Why attack Snyder? Peter Jackson, James Cameron and even Raimi's Spider-Man movie contain far more CGI than any of Snyder movies. And really it's not like anybody is really cutting back on CGI. Oddly enough any comic based movie must contain some major threat and do so takes some major effects work. Really only the last Inidiana Jones movie was light on CGI and effects in general but nobody seemed to notice all that much.

2. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The latter of which - Dakota - they've since seen reverted to Milestone, if memory serves.

National City? I looked that one up. San Diego County. For real. Not sure if that means they're setting up the Supergirl TV series in metro San Diego. It would be a cool tip of the hat to the city for hosting one of the biggest comics/pop culture/media conventions of the USA, if they are. It'll be interesting to find out.

I have no doubt that the gorillas who live in what we've called "Gorilla City" call it by a different name in a language of their own devising. It will indeed translate as "City of the People" in human languages.

As for the rest of it? There's been a lot of backfilling on the backstories of those places over the decades, and I still don't know if they've gotten around to all of them yet and to what degree. I sometimes wonder myself why they went with the names they did, in-universe. We can thankfully still get answers from James Robinson for Opal City (and he's provided a few) for example. Or Gerald Jones for Dos Rios from the first El Diablo series. Or Chuck Dixon for Bludhaven.

The older ones, though? Roy Thomas and his crew at TwoMorrows Publishing would have some of the answers, though probably not all.

3. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

New Pictures.

The last of the bunch according to Ayer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Batfleck to the rescue, be like...
    [​IMG]

Margot Robbie makes such a cutie patootie Harley <3
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. DEWLine

And yes, I've spent a fair bit of time on this DCU fictional geography stuff. From about 1985 to 2011 it haunted my thinking a fair bit.

5. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Most seemed to be influenced by the Batman model. Take a city's nickname/location and turn it into an actual name.

Keystone City= Philadelphia in the Pennsylvania, the Keystone State and later Kansas City.
    Capitol City= Washington DC
    Midway City= Chicago
    Coast City= Los Angeles
    Gateway City= St. Louis and later San Francisco
    Central City= Chicago and later Kansas City
    Civic City= New York City
    Star City= All over the map from the East coast to the Great Lakes to the West Coast, where its been near LA, San Francisco and Seattle at various times.
    Ivy Town= Any Ivy League College town. Later placed in New York.
    Fawcett City= The Marvels seemed to live in an unnamed city in the Golden Age and Bronze Age, possibly the Earth S NYC. Fawcett City pops up post Crisis and for the most part is said to be in the Midwest; Wisconsin, Minnesota and Indiana have been mentioned. Named for the original publisher of Captain Marvel.
    Hub City= East St. Louis. IIRC it's also a postCrisis creation.
    Opal City= Baltimore? Supposedly it's in Maryland, a colony founded by Catholics in the 17th Century, but Opal is founded by Puritans in 18th Century? It has a history of Pirates and Cowboys even though it's an East Coast city ? Crazy place

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Yeah, I have no idea what Margot Robbie is like as an actress or how well she can do the voice, but at least visually, she's pretty on the nose as Harley.

7. DEWLine

Arguably, Midway could be influenced by Detroit as much as Chicago.

And Star City was once described as neighbouring Boston in 1985. Superboy-Prime's debut story in DC Comics Presents, in fact.

8. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

Tara Strong in the Arkham games was verging on creepy (not least because HARLEY QUINN DOES NOT SOUND LIKE A POWERPUFF GIRL) so if they don't quite take it that far, I'm good with it.

9. Christopher

^Actually, I could totally buy Bubbles as Harley Quinn. She's scary when she gets mad. And they have the same hairstyle.

10. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

Oh it was a great voice, not arguing that at all :D just saying.

CREEPY
    (which fits with the game nicely, so all is well!)

11. Christopher

It's a Tara Strong voice. Therefore, it's a great voice. That's the only kind she knows how to do.

12. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the idea of Bubbles with an irresistible crush on the Joker scares the you-know-what out of me.

13. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

14. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Doing a quick Google search, "Keystone" is the name of a real city in Colorado. And "Smallville" sounds a bit like "Centerville" and there are a few of those in the real world. (19 in fact. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_most_common_U.S._place_names#Centerville_.2819.29 )

15. Christopher

Smallville was, of course, named that to indicate that it was an archetypal small town. Which made it kind of a cheat for the TV series Smallville to make it a fair-sized city with its own university and other big-city sorts of institutions, and to justify the name by saying the city had been founded by a Mr. Small.

16. DEWLine

Ezra Small? Trying to remember if the character pre-dates the TV series...

17. Christopher

Hmm, what I can find online suggests he did. Okay, then. Still, the original intent behind the name is self-evident.

18. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Commodore Commodore

...and staying in theme, the Powerpuff Girls live in Townsville...

19. Christopher

The City of Townsville...

...is what it's properly called. ;)

20. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

The founder of Shelbyville on The Simpsons was named "Shelbyville Manhattan".:lol: