Vulcan's Soul - Epiphany

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by T'Bonz, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Csalem

Csalem Commodore Commodore

I enjoyed these three books though it did take me a while to get into Book 1. I think Book 3 had the best 'Memory' section as I love to see how the Romulan/Reman split occur. I know when NEM came out some people thought they were a different species but I always felt they were evolved Vulcans/Romulans. I'm not sure if the integration with the native life-form was necessary to explain the Reman development. Could they not simply have been just the natural evolution from life on Vulcan?

These books have made me want to watch NEM again, though I have yet to do it.

2. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

No, because evolution doesn't work that quickly. The timeframe was only a couple thousand years, and that kind of wholesale change in physiology would need some kind of assistance.

3. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

It's Richard Poe, who was Gul Evek in TNG, DS9 and VOY.

4. JeremyW

JeremyW Commander Red Shirt

McCoy's fate in Crucible: Provenance Of Shadows is different than his fate in the rest of TrekLit. The Crucible trilogy is consistent with itself, and the viewed Trek programs and movies. It does not follow literary work per se, but definitely uses it in some context. (I for one, loved how much DRG III used names, places and ideas from Articles Of The Federation in The Fire And The Rose.) Sounds convoluted, but it's really not.

5. Vastator

Vastator Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I must admit that I was enjoyed the flashback scenes more then the future ones. The only thing I was really looking forward to seeing in the future scenes was more on the Watraii really otherwise I kind of glossed over it and sometimes just skipped chapters in order to see what happened to Karatek and company.

One thing I wonder though if any future novel that talks about the Remans is made is whether his adopted sons attempt at doing the kahs-wan is incorporated into Reman culture or not. Can't see it being done considering the nature of Remus's environment plus the harsh conditions the Romulans have placed the Remans in.

6. Tralah

Tralah Wasting Time Until May 2009 Fleet Captain

A book that might make my memory of watching that godawful Nemesis movie not quite so terrible at least when it comes to the Remans? Wow, you've just sold the book to me!

7. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

Yeah, Me too.

And I'd love more on the Watraii and on the Remans left behind.

8. By-Product

By-Product Lieutenant Red Shirt

Its late and I've skimmed some posts so forgive me if I am repeating anyone.

First of all, I thought all three books are great.

Secondly, they were great ... it took a little while to get my head round who was who and doing what (i.e. who was the good guy and bad guy) but i guess that was part of the point given the split of one race into three.

Also the twist of who was left behind on Vulcan (having always assumed it was the violent people who left not logic lovers) and the TOS tie in, I thought were very good.

Well thats me done, night.

9. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Exactly! Roddenberry's favourite type of "villain".

10. RonG

RonG Captain Captain

Just finished the book (and the trilogy, as I read it in order for the past week).

I must say that the entire trilogy is fantastic :bolian: - it's very rich and comparable IMO with Diane Duane's series, and especially Spock's World.

The integration of the Remans and the current TrekLit continuity (Min Zife, Scotty's heading the SCE, Christine Vale etc.) into the plot, coupled with the references to the authors' earlier Vulcan's Heart made this not only a great, tragic story in itself, but also an integral part of the overall Trek tapestry.

11. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    As one who also thought Nemesis was godawful, especially Shinzon and the idea of the Remans...I thank T'Bonz for her review of Book 1 of the Vulcan Soul trilogy. Too, I forgot that Chekov and Uhura show up.

I have to add these books to my 'to read' list.