Voyager Remaster through AI machine learning

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Cap.T, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Cap.T

Cap.T Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Somebody posted this on Reddit. Impressive...

Source.

RedAlert and antinoos like this.
  2. Kor

Kor Admiral Admiral

Looks nice. I wonder how it turns out with ship/effects shots.

Kor

3. Cap.T

Cap.T Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

If you click on the source I linked to you can download a 9 minute uncompressed sequence from the episode. There is a short shoot of the Voyager in front of a planet about two minutes in, that looked quite nice, when I watched in on my 65 inch 4K TV.

He also posted effects sequnces from DS9's "Sacrifice of Angles", but it's only on youtube with it's heavy compression:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  4. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Spiffy - B’Elanna Torres and Seven of Nine in HD is the sort of happiness the world could use right now! :D

[​IMG]

(Yes, I’m aware there’s HD Seven in Picard; I haven’t quite gotten to it yet. Don’t @ me!)

5. Cutie McWhiskers

Cutie McWhiskers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nope.

Same problems apply here as they do for DS9. Real HD wouldn't get blurry beyond its source definition. The source definition is not 4K. So anything less should not be blurry or jaggy... but still is.... until you lower the window size to something closer to 720x480 (the native/original size, which is still two interlaced fields (effectively 720x240) composited into one 720x480frame... )

Watching full screen on a 2.5k monitor, the SD (which is far lower than 2.5k, never mind 4k) source shines right through the technical trickery. The edge enhancement is still unable to add actual detail within elements. At least for Odo, I'd expect it since he's simulating a shape and not quite as perfectly as other Changelings who do it as a favor for the humans... But also forgetting the text font, which is anything but crisp but definitely has the SD limitations shrieking out... or quilting on the uniforms of Dax and O'Brien that should be consistently visible (and in natively crisper detail) but clearly aren't despite being close enough to the camera, even crows' feet and face wrinkles on Odo's face don't begin to have the definition that a proper remastering -- there's the flicker and jaggies obscuring the actual detail, which would be consistent between frames.

Remember, one can always downscale from larger density materials but once removed, adding detail back isn't going to happen, for motion video though I'd seen a couple static photos that showed some promise, despite being obvious paint-by-numbers affairs. But I digress. Even Photoshop with its tools that can remove background objects still requires a lot of manual work - for even just one frame - to make the finished result look adequate. Never mind 24 frames per second... 60 seconds per minute... 43 minutes per episode...

The ships too have that bizarre fuzziness that just scream "HI THERE, I'M SD! COOIE!" that start to look more detailed once the video playback window is reduced in size. If you enlarge it and it starts to look fuzzy and/or jaggied, it's not true HD because you're still displaying it above its original resolution.

It's still nothing more than edge enhancement trickery largely via contrast and unsharp masking and slightly augmented/shifted color gamut (NTSC is mocked with its other acronym, "never the same color"...).

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  6. Boris Skrbic

Boris Skrbic Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Suppose we watched something better until VGR is remastered properly, and if that doesn’t happen in the next thirty years, would there be massive disappointment?