Voyager Reboot movies?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by borgboy, Jul 20, 2014.

1. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

Christopher Bennet on the Lit forum suggested that there could be reboots for TNG, DS9 and Voyager after the third and possibly last TOS reboot movies. So this is just a theory, no hard evidence, but as Christopher points out, shared universe movies have become hugely popular with Marvel comics heroes, and Star Wars is set to begin releasing a movie every year.

So hypothetically, we could have movies coming out with reboots of TNG, DS9 and Voyager, one of them every three years. I'd prefer to just use the original cast and continue their adventures, but at this point, reboots seem much more likely. I'd be pretty excited to get more Trek, and as I've enjoyed the recent Reboot movies, this sounds pretty exciting as a possibility. There is a rumor that a young Deanna Troi was being cast in the third JJ Trek movie, so this isn't completely unfounded speculation.

Which makes me wonder how this would work, what actors could play these beloved parts, what would be different, what would be the same. The recent movies made a bold move in destroying Vulcan, so any future continuing from that would be potentially different from the original version.

I'm posting this in both the Voyager and DS9 forums, as this is relevant to both.

2. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

If we're going to have reboots in a Trek universe that's completely unlike the original universe why name the characters after the characters from existing franchises? Just make up a new cast and tell your own stories.

3. borgboy

I don't think a Voyager reboot would be completely unlike the original universe. I'd imagine there'd be some changes, just as the reboot TOS movies have had some changes to the characters and their world, but they're still mostly recognizable as Kirk, Spock and co.

4. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Yeah but Kirk and Spock are iconic to everyone. Odo, Quark, Janeway and Seven are only iconic to a small subculture. You could maybe do it with TNG because Picard, Data and Worf are referenceable to everyone too. NuTrek's target audience isn't the same people who want more DS9 and Voyager.

I'm interested to see new writers' new perspective on the franchise, but it wouldn't be profitable to trot around new versions of characters only we care about, and it would be far more creatively interesting not to tie the new writers' down to those character concepts.

I have no interest in 20 year old Janeway and Chakotay trotted around in a gritty, darker, shiny future where the greatest concern is out-pewing the enemy.

Anyway in the Abramsverse if they get stranded in the DQ they can just transport home.

5. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    I'll stick to fanfic, thank you. There are more imaginative reboot/what-if-it-happened-this-way? stories there than movie studios could ever come up with.

6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would love a Voyager reboot film, truncating their journey into one two hour adventure much like the 1998 Lost in Space movie. In fact I'd say it's the Trek spin-off most suited to a movie adaptation.

Voyager gets sucked into Borg space in the Delta Quadrant where they meet a shifty trader named Neelix and, after barely surviving a Borg attack, liberate a drone named Seven of Nine. Plan A is the Caretaker's array which no longer works since the Borg are attacking it by the time Voyager arrives. Seven recognises it's based on Borg transwarp technology, and she knows of a nearby transwarp hub - so they sneak and fight their way there, all while the Queen is searching for her "special" Seven of Nine, and after a big action-packed finale, transwarp themselves back to Earth.

Or something vaguely along those lines.

7. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

Exactly! I'd rather have some original stories with a new crew and a new ship or space station or whatever.

And a TNG era reboot wouldn't make much sense anyway, if I may quote myself:

8. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

But the Trek universe operates under comic book universe rules. Look at every alternate history we have ever seen - the same characters are interacting no matter how different the circumstances. The Butterfly Effect is only ever an excuse for writers to change whatever they think would be coolest.

I bet Kirk and Spock in the Mirror universe had a similar touching farewell to WoK/ID just before Spock zapped him with the Tantalus Device.

9. borgboy

A Voyager reboot could have Voyager exploring the Delta quadrant instead of trying to get home.

If it happened, I hope that we would get Kes and Seven both. Even if she only got a small role, I would want my Kes there. I expect there'd be a big role for Seven with the Borg as the main enemey in at least one movie, if not multiple appearances.

10. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

I would never watch a TNG, DS9 or Voyager reboot. I can't imagine the characters look different than they did in the series. Besides that, with the current movie trends of doom-and-gloom and splatter, the whole thing would probably end up in a sorry mess.

If they could come up with a good animated movie, I might give it a chance.

11. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

IF they reboot TNG they can still use Stewart since he looks exactly the same.

Everyone will kill me but I would like a VOY reboot movie or miniseries where it went all NuBSG as far as how hard it actually is in the DQ. I would worry about the casting of 7 though, you would need someone unusual like Ryan manages and not just bombshell. Since VOY is already time travel heavy I would expect Kate Mulgrew to show up at some point playing Fleet Admiral Janeway from the future :D That alone would make me ecstatic.

12. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

In the Voyager Reboot, after getting stranded in the Delta Quadrant, they run into Maje Neelix who gains control of the ship.

13. teacake

^Let's get Jeffery Combs to play him.

14. borgboy

A successful reboot would also increase the chances of getting more Voyager merchandise, particularly the series getting released on blu ray.

15. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

And reboot Neelix into a crappy CGI monkey-creature! I'm totally onboard with this! :lol:

16. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

... These words speak truly to me.

17. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

I would be interested in a TNG or VOY reboot if it were worked into the overall tapestry of Trek à la ST09/STID. DS9 - not so much.

18. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

There actually was a NuBSG Voyager series.

It was called "Stargate Universe".

It was cancelled after two seasons and made people fall asleep while watching it.

19. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

I personally don't want a reboot of anything, I would rather have new characters.

I enjoy still getting new Trek for DS9 and VOY through the novelizations.

20. teacake

I would rather have new characters too but it's fun to talk about what ifs if they went in that direction. Everything is reboot city now so who knows?