Voyager on blu ray?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by borgboy, Nov 16, 2013.

1. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't doubt Tim said it, but he's misinformed. Is it likely they will do it eventually? Yes. Has it been green lit or financed? Nowhere near.

2. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

Madzilla can any other TrekBBSer confirm this mention from Tim Russ? Was ANYONE else there? Can we get a 2nd source?

also this older thread is pretty detailed on the topic but it was all speculation as only TNG was in post production for remastering.
    VOY getting a remaster to HD possibility within 5 years?
    this article though shows the major challenges for VOY getting HD remaster as far as VFX.
    The Challenges of Reproducing CG Work
    Original CG Assets

http://trekcore.com/blog/2013/05/deep-space-nine-in-high-definition-one-step-closer/

this is a 2013 article. Good information and it is current. These CGI assets are from over 15 years ago.
    in it there is a still of a re-render from
    Eden FX's former Senior CG Supervisor Robert Bonchune who worked on all three post-TNG spinoffs . Rob re-rendered the
    USS Honshu, a Nebula-Class ship featured in the 6th Season Deep Space Nine episode "Waltz".
    The remastered USS Honshu - our first look at how a 1080p re-render of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine would fare. As Bonchune notes - The registry of the ship was changed at some point, but is easy to revert to the final aired version. "The shot was done without any motion blur or touch-up, but you get the idea of how much clearer the ships is [...] I even see a few places where the polygons will have to be multiplied out to smooth the nacelle ends properly."

see the image at the link.
    http://trekcore.com/blog/2013/05/deep-space-nine-in-high-definition-one-step-closer/

this is great news.

and a treat for those of you still reading:
    examples of Voyager’s CGI in high def from the Foundation Imaging CGI model.
    these pictures are huge, so feel free to click, download and drool.
    http://darthmojo.wordpress.com/2008/06/20/sci-ficandy-voyager-strikes-back/

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  3. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

TOS was easy to put out on bluray. Completed film masters were simply transferred digitally to HD. Bingo, project complete.

TNG, DS9, and VOY, by contrast, have to be completely recreated from the original negatives as no completed episodes actually exist on film. The masters only exist on video and those masters can never look any better than they do now on DVD. So TNG, DS9, and VOY are much much bigger projects than TOS. Every bit of film has to be located and reedited together; basically the entire series has to go through post-production all over again. And even then, sometimes, as with TNG, there are shots that are missing that end up having to be upconverted from SD, or alternate takes are used accidentally.

I don't doubt that DS9 and VOY will be remastered in HD, but remastering TOS was a walk in the park, whereas TNG/DS9/VOY is a massive undertaking.

4. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not re-buying sh*t.
    I have the DVD's and as long as it's steaming somewhere, I'll be ok.

5. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Yep. Same here. Although, it looks crisper when I play the DVDs in the Bluray player. And it's still streaming on Netflix.

6. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

..and Hulu.

7. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Where did you hear this? I didn't think CBS-D committed to doing DS9 yet?

8. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

I don't remember where I came across that info, but I read it somewhere when reading up on recent ST blu ray news. Sorry I don't remember the source, if I come across it again I'll post a link. I hope it's true and that the DS9 seasons start getting released in a timely manner after TNG seasons are all out.

9. FrontierTrek

Yeah, I'd take it with a pinch of salt borgboy. There are no plans for DS9 on Blu-ray in 2014.

10. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

If it happens, I'd say late 2014/early 2015 for HD DS9. I guess alternating releases with VOY à la the current TNG/ENT cycle is a possibility once we're a couple of seasons into DS9 - provided sales warrant it.

11. borgboy

Alternating seasons of DS9 and VOY in the later seasons of DS9, replicating their broadcast releases, sound perfect. I have no idea how well the TNG and ENT blu rays are selling, but since they're still releasing them I'd hope that means they're doing well.

12. FrontierTrek

The budget for all 7 seasons was pre-arranged before the project even started, so there was never a possibility of stopping mid-way through.

13. borgboy

Ah. Well, I just hope the sales have been strong enough for DS9 and VOY to get the blu ray treatment too then.

14. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

TNG sales have been great. ENT sales... not so much.

15. LOKAI of CHERON

That might put DS9 and VOY into a kind of grey, middle ground with sales. I guess CBS have some decisions to make.

16. borgboy

I can understand why ENT sales are low, as the quality upgrade between ENT DVDs and blu ray isn't going to be as big of an improvement as the older serieses.

17. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

That is true; I bought the ENT DVD's as they came out, and they look good enough that it will be a while before I would upgrade. OTOH, I would upgrade my VOY set right away.

18. LOKAI of CHERON

To be honest, I think the poor sales are much more to do with the quality and poor standing of the show itself - or at least - the perceived quality in fandom. For the record, I actually like Enterprise a lot.

19. Cap.T

Cap.T Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

How do you figure? According to thenumbers.com Season 1 sold very well indeed and I think made over 5 million in it's first week of sales in the US. When sales numbers for the first week of season 4 (the first season to hit the Top 10, since Season 1) were released a couple of month ago, the number was somewhere between 600k and 700k. Even if thenumbers.com hasn't reported exact numbers and just estimations the post season 1 sales numbers don't seem very encouring...

20. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well part of the reason for the upgrade to TNG was to make to make it appeal more to broadcasters who have HD channels to fill with content. There is also the small matter of it airing on TV (at least in the UK) not long after the Blu-ray comes out.