Voyager is superior, it just is..

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Refuge, Apr 1, 2017.

1. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Enterprise lasted four seasons.

TNG benefited from a lack of competition, and DS9 and VOY benefited from TNG and TOS film successes. Star Trek 2009, Into Darkness and Beyond also did well, even for their setting.

Discovery's success will not be dependent on era but storytelling and characters.

2. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What I find a bit sad is that: Gone are the 26 episode seasons. I know that it was unrelentingly long work days for the cast and crew, and probably everyone involved; but just think of the huge treasure trove of episodes we have. There's over 700. That's really crazy to think about. The only series that probably has it beat is Law & Order. I'm sure Discovery will be a good show. Or I'm sure I'll like it, but yeah, seasons will be over quickly. And there's no guaranteed 7 seasons this time around. Hopefully it will be a long lasting success, and maybe even lead to other shows.

3. Tracy Trek

Tracy Trek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

When Discovery makes it on the air, if it ends up being dark and gritty and depressing like Stargate Universe, I don't think I will like it. Plus I'd have to subscribe to CBS ON-Demand to watch it.

4. Prax

You may be right. They say it's going to be like GoT. I hope they're referring strictly to format.

5. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

Never seen Thrones. I'm not that into violence.

I see parallels with Star Wars. There was the first.. and then the other two organically followed.. because that is the order of things. Then some annoying person, Lucas or Spelling, what do I know.. decided to introduce us to prequels and he dumbed us down forever, lol. I never watched them, even in re-runs on TV. However when The Force Awakens came out, I wanted to see it.

I guess like the Star Wars prequels, Discovery will find an audience and have an appeal.

6. Refuge

Maybe if they have six episode seasons we'll get five years worth?

Now I'm being mean.

7. Prax

Oh boy...:crazy:

8. Tracy Trek

Now I'm even more convinced not to watch it. I hate this thing about recent series on TV. They show 12-13 episodes or less and call it a season. Then a lot of times you have no idea when it's going to come back on. It seems like it's almost a year at times.

I happen to like the series The Librarians. Well so far it comes on like at the beginning of Nov. for about 10 episodes and then it's off again until next Nov. Another series I like that's on from BBC (but not BBC America) is Call the Midwife. It only runs for 8 episodes plus a Xmas special. We have to wait until it is released to PBS or until it's on Netflix.

When I was a kid, it seemed like most shows were at least 20 episodes. Mostly a bit more than 20. Something that was only on for 12 episodes or less was called a mini-series and it was a special event. Like many of the ones in the 80's that starred Richard Chamberlin.:) In this day and age a 2 part movie is called a mini-series.

9. Prax

Yeah, back in the glory days of Network TV, 13 episodes is half a season. Technically, it still is I suppose. My daughter and I like to watch Twilight Zone. That had 36 episodes per season. They were a half hour, but felt like a full story like a trek episode. Season 4 switched to 18 one hour episodes, but the decision was unpopular, so season 5 switched back to 36 half hour episodes.

Tracy Trek likes this.
  10. Hela

Hela Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Haven't watched a lot of non-American tv over the years?

12 episodes per series has always been a large episode order for most of us. The big exceptions are 'short' form television, like soaps or kids show. Hit series like Allo Allo can run for 10 years straight, and still never reach 100 episodes.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  11. Prax

British TV can be really short. I got into Foyle's War a while back. The seasons(series) have 2 to 4 episodes each, but each episode is very high quality...

12. Tracy Trek

Yeah I think heard that the British show Sherlock (the one with Benedict Cumberbatch) had a very limited number of episodes per season. I didn't watch it myself, someone told me.

13. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

About three or four episodes a season, tops.

14. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

One of the better Voyager episodes. Planet came up awful fast for 9 million kilometers, though. :vulcan:

15. Refuge

'Not how I planned to cross the finish line' ..

Gasp. I had forgotten the pain in Harry's face. You know Voyager all white looking crashing into the white landscape was almost beautiful.

Thomas Eugene and Gary7 like this.
  16. Sophie74656

Sophie74656 Commodore Commodore

The pain in his face when they beam onto the frozen ship and see everyone dead was very well done. There is a fanfic I read that had me in tears about the moments after the crash. Tom and B'Elanna are both on the bridge. Right after the crash she is pinned under her console and bleeding out. Tom is also badly injured and crawling over to her and both die before he reaches her.

Gary7, Tracy Trek and Refuge like this.
  17. Refuge

I must read some of this fanfic stuff the written word brings something extra.

18. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

FYI: Season 4 starts shooting next month and (ahem) the next novel comes out in a few weeks.

Tracy Trek likes this.
  19. Tracy Trek

If that's the same one I read, it's called In the Middle of the Journey by Sareki. It's on Fanfiction.net and Archive of Our Own.

Refuge likes this.
  20. Tracy Trek

Some really good ones I would recommend for Voyager are written by the following people: Jamelia116, Capt. Acorn, CrlkSeasons and Alpha Flyer. I think all of them have accounts on Fanfiction.net and Archive of Our Own.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    Thomas Eugene likes this.