Voyager again, for the first time

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by NightJim, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    I'll see your rabbit and raise you one brain.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zKDQfVbWqc[/yt]

2. NightJim

NightJim Captain Captain

Good Shepherd
    Nice look at the crew who aren't the senior staff. And Tom Morello. I liked the presentation that each of the heads of department knew exactly who these people were and what the problems were too. Can't help but feel that it needed another five-ten minutes to show the crew having actually changed though, rather than just Janeway commenting she thought it was enough. The problems of television though.

Live Fast and Prosper
    Genius title. Not a bad episode either. Nice change of pace to what we've been seeing. Nice use of the Doctor as well. Minor niggle of maybe the remote projector should have been spotted, well hidden but there.

3. NightJim

NightJim Captain Captain

Muse

Man that was a creepy opening. Came across like some sort of cult rather than a play, but overall a nice episode, with some stinging criticism of modern TV thrown in there for good measure.

I'm worried about the next one. I've seen a lot of moaning about Fury on here, and I've seen it approaching. Now it's next I'm stuck... maybe a break for some Trek reading maybe?

4. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

Janeway respects courage, NightJim.

Sit down with the popcorn and take it like a Voyager.

(Of course, I'm one of three people in the universe who likes that ep. ;) )

ETA: I LOVE the way B'Elanna ended the play in muse.

KELIS: I'll be inspired every time I think of you.
    TORRES: One to beam, to ascend to the heavens. (she transports away from the stage)

5. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I liked Fury but not for nice reasons.

6. NightJim

NightJim Captain Captain

lol you may have a point, but I finished the other book I'm reading last night and so am probably starting a Trek book later. But if I get time during the day I'll just get Fury over and done with so it's out the way.

7. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I loved how in the DeLaney sisters were made out to be such whores... Think about it. This only happened because B'Elanna shaped the narrative while explaining their purpose on the ship.

You didn't know that this Klingon was a mean girl?

Well, now you do.

8. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

Make that 4!! ;)

A fine performanced by Kellie Waymire as well. (snif)

I too loved the ending.

9. NightJim

NightJim Captain Captain

I'm glad someone brought back the joke about the Delaney sisters. Seems that after they showed them the writers forgot about them.

10. lee249

lee249 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

What i never understood was that Janeway ordered the destruction of the Caretakers array to prevent the Kazon getting their hands on the technology ultimately changing the balance of power in the Delta quadrant. BUT, wasn't voyager presented with another chance later on resulting in Janeway making a wrong decision?

Sorry, i forget which episode that was. It may have involved the Borg or when the ship established communications with earth through the Hirogen array they discovered (Similar to the Caretakers) which emitted similar pulses.

Any help would be great. Thanks.

11. NightJim

NightJim Captain Captain

Well I didn't start the book last night, and I managed to get Fury in tonight, partly because of what JanewayRulez said, and partly because if I left it Fury hanging there with the reputation I had, then I'd have delayed watching Voyager again for ages.

After having watched it... What the Hell was all the fuss about? It's actually a decent episode. Oh sure, it isn't nice to Kes, but the poor girl had clearly gone mad after leaving Voyager, something in her rising to a higher plane went pretty wrong. And with Janeway's foreknowledge, and her younger self, they're able to solve the problem and offer solace to the misguided and alienated version. If the episode had ended with Kes still an evil psychopath I could see where all the cries of outrage were coming from, but it wasn't, it was resolved rather nicely.

It was also a rather brilliant portrayal of Season 1 Voyager too.

Lee:
    The Hirogen array only allowed for communication transmissions, not anything nearly as sophisticated as the Cartaker's. She did make a deal with the Borg, but they quickly learnt the Borg were playing them and it was they who had started hostilities with Species 8472, not the other way around, so she broke it off. I don't think there was ever a 'wrong decision' made, unless you're thinking of The Voyager Conspiracy, which is when Seven starts creating elaborate plots where Janeway did it on purpose.

12. Guy Gardener

Chakotay broke the deal first. Then he spaced 40 drones, then when Janeway came out of her coma, she apologized and asked for the old deal back from before they killed 40 drones.

Maybe they would have still betrayed Voyager if the Indian hadn't ejaculated all those drones into the universe, but Voyager betrayed them first, so we'll never know.

13. NightJim

NightJim Captain Captain

But the deal was a lie in the first place. The Borg said 8472 had started it, while it was the Borg who had tried to invade fluidic space.

14. teacake

I thought it was hilarious. Until I joined this BBS.

15. Guy Gardener

What you call invasion, others might call liberation.

16. teacake

So all great fascists have said.

17. Gov Kodos

But fascists usually have snazzy uniforms.

18. teacake

Well if you find this hot that's your prerogative..

[​IMG]

19. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

I tried doing a second run of the show (the first time was in 2009). What I did for the second viewing was watch it in air order with DS9 (which I also did with TNG). I thought it would be interesting to watch the three shows as they actually aired, even seeing which show had the best episode of that week. I used this list to help: http://startreklist.blogspot.com/2011/04/list-of-all-star-trek-episodes-sorted_05.html

After finishing DS9, I've been hesitant to watch another VOY episode. I just can't stand it, especially by the later seasons. I think I tried finishing "Memorial" twice but could never get through it.

20. Gov Kodos

Lipstick and pigs, no amount of snazziness will help when you look like a baked ham.