Spoilers VOY: Atonement by Kirsten Beyer Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Defcon, Aug 7, 2015.

?

Rate Atonement

1. Outstanding

48 vote(s)
    64.9%
  2. Above Average

21 vote(s)
    28.4%
  3. Average

4 vote(s)
    5.4%
  4. Below Average

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Editors and writers have one thing in common; they're human. Mistakes can and will be made. It sucks, it's shit, but it will happen. And that's ok, as long as the spirit and soul of the story remain. ;)

2. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

You're right of course. It's not necessarily shit, only when someone struggles with a foreign language.

As long as I'm able to understand what's going on. ;)

3. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

I for one have the greatest admiration for all of you who read in languages other than your original tongue, Kilana. Being sadly monolingual as I am - and I personally relate to that as a failing - I respect all of you who make the effort.

(My sister does better than me; she speaks French as well as English and is currently trying to learn German)

4. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As someone who learned English from watching cartoons on the BBC.... Take this as a learning experience. You will now clearly remember how it's not done, and never repeat said mistake. ;)

5. Kilana2

Me reading Voyager both in German and in English is good for Kirsten Beyer as well.
    I have most of her Voyager novels twice (at least the ones published by Cross Cult in German). With the additional advantage of mostly new covers. Children of the Storm (Kinder des Sturms) features Seven on the cover and is due out in Sept/Oct.

6. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I could be wrong, but I don't think foreign translation count towards the author's advances/royalties or that the authors get separate payment for them. I think with the US contract they also sign away all rights to foreign translations.

7. Idran

Idran Commodore Commodore

Even if not financially, though, I'm sure it adds to her numbers in some significant way. I can't imagine having a large international audience would be a bad thing for a Trek author.

8. Deranged Nasat

A question, and my apologies if it's been asked before, but is General Mattings intended to suggest General Mattis?

9. Kilana2

If it's not good for her, it's also not bad for her. At least it is good for me to enjoy the new cover art. ;)

10. SAS

SAS Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

now showing on Amazon UK for £5.99 (around $10) which is high for a ebook most are around £3-£4 mark in the UK.

11. Jim Gamma

Jim Gamma This space left blank intentionally. Rear Admiral

Cool, bought. And congratulations Kirsten, two words I had to look up in the prologue alone - usually that's my average for a whole book! :)

12. Csalem

Csalem Commodore Commodore

Another great Voyager novel, enjoyed every second of it and as usual it ended too soon. Can't wait for the next one, and as usual I want to spend more time with all of these characters.

Was surprised people have trouble getting this on Amazon UK as I bought it through Amazon UK on my Kindle on the day it was released. Maybe it is because I am in Ireland but I wouldn't think that would better on the UK website?

13. Akiraprise

Akiraprise To Ꝏ & BEYOND! Moderator

Great novel Kirsten but no surprise there. The best Trek relaunch currently in publication. :techman:
    The family theme really hits home with the old crew. Even years after coming home they all come together when any one of them needs a hand.
    Naomi leaving the academy at the end is something I can see her doing. She's a very bright girl and felt like going to Starfleet Academy was her only choice when she was Voyager in the Delta Quadrant. I can see her being overwhelmed with academy life and wanting to spread her wings a bit. Icheb continues to be written well also. He would do anything to help his old friends on Voyager, rules be damned. I like how Akaar just kind of shrugs and boots him into Janeway's lap realizing he is way too bright to remain in school but has the makings of a fantastic officer.

14. Deranged Nasat

Indeed. I've said the same in the past, that it wouldn't be too surprising to see her come to that decision. Life wasn't particularly fair on her. Growing up in a Starfleet environment and being such an intelligent child, she was essentially railroaded into seeing Starfleet as her goal. The parameters of her experience were so unavoidably narrow. Now she has opportunity to expand her horizons, and her coming to understand that she has options she wouldn't have considered in the past is something I've been interested in seeing play out.

15. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

Just finished it, and all I can say is this:

Kirsten, thank you. :D

16. Shane Houston

Shane Houston Commander Red Shirt

Dear Kirsten,

Thanks to you and Atonement I stayed up until 3 am and overslept, missing two commitments this morning as a result. And I only got half way through it at that.

It was well worth it.

17. Deranged Nasat

It is a very good book indeed. Voyager has never been better than it is with Beyer's relaunch.

I'll try to get a full review up soon...

18. Shane Houston

Shane Houston Commander Red Shirt

I just wish someone like her loved DS9 as much as she loves Voyager. I'm dying for a future author to do just that.

19. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

?!?!?!

DS9 has had plenty of great books in its post-finale series. And I think the love DRGIII, David Mack, Una McCormack, and others have for DS9 is plainly evident.

20. Ylime

Ylime Cadet Newbie

I rarely post on TrekBBS but had to come on here to share my love of this book! Super great ending to a gripping trilogy of novels. I read the book in two sittings, I always fly through these books they are so engaging! I loved all the character development and little character moments sprinkled throughout the story. Chakotay has honestly become one of my favorite characters, which was definitely not the case in the TV series.

I really loved seeing Garak in this novel; his voice and mannerisms were spot on! I only wish we got more of him. I also really enjoyed Julia Paris getting Tom to the President, and just the whole way in which their relationship was mended after the events in the last book. The Janeway/Chakotay moments were very sweet, yet real. I had to put the book down a few times I was smiling so much. I also was very intrigued by the way the plot lines were resolved, especially with the hax and the protectors. The Star Trek sense of optimism and exploration was just fantastic to read, and I can’t wait for the next book!