Visual Reboots: Ships...but not characters?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by ChallengerHK, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Jadeb

Jadeb Commodore Commodore

Yeah, the freeing of the Tardigrade seemed to happen just because, hey, this is what happens in Star Trek. I've wondered if the writers are too indoctrinated in the Trek philosophy -- or too concerned about pandering to the fans -- to really put it to the test.

I'm reminded of the talking point about how the first season was all about affirming the Federation's values. That, to me, seems like a dead-end approach to a prequel. Where's the drama in simply arriving at a pre-ordained conclusion? It makes me worry about the "faith v. reason" arc for season 2.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  2. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Without massive therapy, Mudd will not become the TOS version?

3. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

That seems very unlikely.

4. apepa

apepa Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

This is something that bugged me about the Abrams movies as well. They just throw in these lines about the Prime Directive and Starfleet values even though they contradict the character's actions and have nothing to do with the plot.

lawman likes this.
  5. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Well, that was TOS.

Crazy Eddie and Ceridwen like this.
  6. Serveaux

Feh...it's not about anything.

7. Jadeb

Jadeb Commodore Commodore

But Burnham gave that speech at the end!

8. Serveaux

Don't remember it. Were there gazelles?

9. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Which version? "Mudd's Women" or "I,Mudd"?

10. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

If you squint, Saru looks gazelle-like.

11. Nerys Myk

Which is why they keep him away from Caitians.

Crazy Eddie and Ar-Pharazon like this.
  12. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

He is basically the same in both episodes,but needs therapy to be the one to providing wives for miners.

13. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Mudd was pretty sanguine about holding the crew of the Enterprise hostage until they promised not to arrest him. "I'm told they have only three days of orbit left before they start spiraling in. I do hate to see you suffering such a situation, Captain, but truth is truth, and the sad fact is you will deal. Sooner or later, you'll have to."

14. Nerys Myk

Harry was much more sinister, conniving and competent in " Mudd`s Women". In "I, Mudd" he's more of a buffoon in over his head.

Ronald Held and Mad Jack Wolfe like this.
  15. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that whole Kirk sacrificing himself thing, or trying to negotiate with Nero or Krall was completely contradictory /s
    :rolleyes:

In TOS, the Prime Directive sounded great until Kirk had to break it "just this once" for whatever reason. He's willing to beat up an opponent until the opponent can't fight anymore. Spock is willing to lie when it serves his purpose.

Human beings are walking contradictions all the time, from cognitive dissonance, to justifying actions, etc.

16. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Exactly

17. apepa

apepa Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yeah, my point is that modern writers should know better than to bring it up in a throwaway line if they're just going to ignore it anyway. It feels like they only put it in the dialogue because "this is what people on Star Trek say".

18. lawman

lawman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's affection for Star Trek that got me started watching it (and would have, whether it was framed as "prime" or a reboot). What made me continue was another matter. For quite a while, the show seemed to be improving as the season went along.

It wasn't really until around episode 12 that I realized that trend had reversed and it "wasn't very good" (or at least, that the current plot resolutions weren't likely to be β€” they wound up more frustrating than satisfying, one and all.) But it was only a fifteen-episode season, so by that point there wasn't much to be gained by quitting before the end. (Same basic reason I stuck with nuBSG 'til the finale, for instance, even though s4 was such a dog's breakfast.)

I'm coming back for season two very cautiously... only because the show still has obvious potential, and the showrunners seem to have given themselves a blank slate for season two. (And, admittedly, because of the undeniable hook of the Enterprise.) I'm not optimistic, however β€” given things like the Section 31 teaser, and the hacky evangelical Christian writing hires β€” but I'm always open to a pleasant surprise. If they wind up living down to my expectations rather than up to my hopes, though, I'll probably throw in the towel.

It's worth remembering, though, that Marvel Studios didn't exist at the time Spider-Man and the X-Men were licensed away, and Marvel Comics wasn't yet owned by Disney and was in fairly desperate financial straits at some points along the way. Viacom was never in that kind of position, so it never needed to sell off any parts of Trek... and as we (and the design staff!) have learned, of course, it didn't.

Rahul likes this.
  19. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I never felt like it was out of place or character :shrug:

20. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I'm gonna need Jack Daniel's.