Vikings in the 21st century

Nike

Lieutenant
Red Shirt
930 years ago, there were Vikings. Can you imagine one of their ships showing up today? How plausible is the Discovery in 3190?

Why don’t you go on all our important missions. We lost all our muscle strength in 1900, so we can’t row that fast. Forget our carriers and subs, wait until our enemies get a look at your axes and war hammers! We’ll just upgrade your ancient ship with electronics and nuclear reactors, that should be easy enough. And I’m sure you have a lot to teach us about military tactics, diplomacy, education, etc. We’ve not done much for the past millennium. You’ve been to America before; can you talk to them for us? We just can’t get anything done without you Vikings.

A better analogy would be a legion of circa 100 AD Roman soldiers popping up in Viking times (1000 AD or so). A huge societal and technological collapse had occured with the fall of the Empire, and humanity was still not back where it had been.

A better analogy would be a legion of circa 100 AD Roman soldiers popping up in Viking times (1000 AD or so). A huge societal and technological collapse had occured with the fall of the Empire, and humanity was still not back where it had been.
An argument could also be made that the Viking era was one of a long history of migration crises, where migratory people's had pushed into western frontiers from the east as preexisting societies grew too weak to resist the incursions (Goths, Alans, Huns, the Caliphate, Mongols, Turks,etc).

930 years ago, there were Vikings. Can you imagine one of their ships showing up today? How plausible is the Discovery in 3190?
A far flung eastern colonial power raiding European cities, looting, raping, and trying to impose it's will by force in the 21st century would be Russians.

Shortly before Season 3 started, I read a book about the historical setting of the King Arthur legend, so S3 gave me strong vibes of that.

djE

There is also the technological factor that much of its progress has plateaued or change marginally. There us also no language barrier, while Vikings or Romans would be at a disadvantage.

History does a lot of that. Like Columbus discovering America, despite Amerigo Vespucci and Eric the Red both beating him to it.
You can't study history and not oversimplify it.

I'm studying migration patterns and how that impacted Native American nations forming based upon population and resource pressures.

The level of detail I'd overwhelming. I need some big picture oversimplification because otherwise I couldn't get most of it down.

And I don't know if it was deliberate, but you also reminded me that Native American ancestors discovered America millenia before Eric the Red did. So :techman:, whatever your intention.
I mean, it wasn't but it's interesting. And there is genetic research being done to trace generations of these migration patterns. Yeah, it's a rabbit hole of mine that gets me stuck sometimes. :)

History does a lot of that. Like Columbus discovering America, despite Amerigo Vespucci and Eric the Red both beating him to it.
Amerigo came after, and it was Leif, not his father. Erik settled Greenland. And the Irish would say that Brendan was before all of them.

In 1499, Vespucci joined an expedition licensed by Spain and led by Alonso de Ojeda as fleet commander and Juan de la Cosa as chief navigator. Their intention was to explore the coast of a new landmass found by Columbus on his third voyage and in particular investigate a rich source of pearls that Columbus had reported.
Oversimplification
Ok. The Varangians were Viking conquerors, traders and settlers, mostly from present-day Sweden. The Varangians settled in the territories of present-day Belarus, Russia and Ukraine from the 8th and 9th centuries, and established the state of Kievan Rus' as well as the principalities of Polotsk and Turov. The Rurik dynasty would continue to rule until the death of Feodor I of Russia in 1598. Need more?

Last edited:
Except in Star Trek, very little has changed in 900 years. Is it plausible? Of course not. But they went for holos, sparkly magic matter and same stuff different day.

Except in Star Trek, very little has changed in 900 years. Is it plausible? Of course not. But they went for holos, sparkly magic matter and same stuff different day.
Which is how Trek has always treated leaps forward. You have small changes, but the weapons, and transportation all remain the same.

Trek prefers a status quo. It's not believable and it won't be. But, then, once I studied up on space travel and such and realized that Trek isn't believable, I became less concerned about that part.

I dunno. When you consider how often in the franchise a world changing technological advancement gets shoved to the side and forgotten, it actually makes way too much sense that the 32nd century isn't noticeably different than the 24th.

I wonder if whoever thought up floating nacelles knew their invention would be the one advancement the Federation would embrace? And how would that make them feel?

It has a tech the latter period doesn't have. Enough so they upgraded and infused the ship with advanced technology. Problem solved.

Back