News Veronica Mars revival coming to Hulu.

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Turtletrekker, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Who is up for a return to Neptune?

It would seem that Veronica Mars creator Rob Thomas, star Kirsten Bell and Warner Bros have been negotiating for an all-new revival of the series to potentially drop on Hulu. Little else is known right now except that the deal would allow Bell to star on VM as well as continue on The Good Place.

If it happens, I'm in. I loved the show from the start and rented the Kickstarter movie when it was released.

Anna Yolei and Snaploud like this.
  2. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

My thoughts...
    Hulu?!

But my DVDs have been played so much that some of the discs no longer work and it's weir that the show isn't currently on Netflix or Amazon like it was in the past.

Anna Yolei and Turtletrekker like this.
  3. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm in, though hopefully, it'll get a UK showing somewhere:)

4. Turtletrekker

It's official! Eight episodes set for the summer of 2019.

Synopsis

Anna Yolei and Snaploud like this.
  5. bigdaddy

Very weird that the books are supposed to be 98% canon and yet that tagline is the plot for the first book. I much have something 100% newer.

Anna Yolei likes this.
  6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

That's not weird. Canon is only canon until it isn't. Even onscreen stories can be erased by later canon (e.g. the "all a dream" season of Dallas, or Highlander 2, or all the Halloween sequels retconned out of existence by the new movie). And "canon" in secondary sources like novels and comics, stuff that has a smaller audience than the main series, is almost always just provisional canon, presumed to be "real" only so long as it doesn't get contradicted. In a case like this, where the books were presumably Thomas's fallback for telling stories he'd originally wanted to tell on TV, it's not surprising that he'd choose to replace the book version with a TV version upon finally getting the opportunity. Alien Nation did the same thing back in the '90s -- a couple of revival movie scripts were novelized at a point when it was assumed the show was never coming back (though the books were never declared canonical as far as I know), but then it did get revived and the movies were made after all, superseding the book versions.

Besides, canon is more about broad strokes than fine details. The fact that a particular event happened in the characters' lives may be part of the "truth" of the fictional universe, but the specifics of how that event happened can be rethought if there's an opportunity to retell the story. For instance, the story of how Peter Parker became Spider-Man is an integral part of Marvel Comics canon, but the details of how and when it happened have been updated and reinvented multiple times over the decades. I myself have been trying to sell a novel that expands and reworks my first published story, so that while the overall event depicted in the story is part of my universe's canon, the specifics of how it happened will change when and if I get the novel published.

7. bigdaddy

No, you don't understand Rob Thomas just the other day when the news was announced said the books were 98% cannon, that's why I think it's very weird. Have the books be cannon and just have the same plot as the first book years later. Veronica in an episode can go 'Don't worry, I have dealt with this before'.

8. Christopher

No, I think he means exactly what I said -- that the fact that the events occurred is canonical, but the precise details of how the book depicted the events will be superseded by the show's version. The 98% is the stuff that will be in the show, and the 2% is the stuff that will be changed for the show, like the timeframe. It's pretty much the same as my story and novel that I just talked about. The story as reprinted in my recent collection is maybe 80-85% canonical, compared to the revised version in the novel. The overall event still happens pretty much the same way the story describes, but many of the details are changed.

It's not uncommon for creators to "update" their canons, to replace an old version of a particular story with a new, revised and corrected one that takes its place in the continuity. After all, writers are only human. Our creations are imperfect, and often they're the result of compromise -- their content is what we had to settle for rather than what we ideally wanted. So given the chance to do a new version, we'll often try to improve on the old version and replace it with something better and truer to our intentions. For instance, Thomas presumably wanted to tell this new VM story on TV but had to settle for telling it as a book. Now he has the chance to do it the way he wanted to begin with -- why begrudge him that?

9. bigdaddy

I think it's stupid. Make the books canon and just come up with a new idea. If you can't come up with a new case than don't bring it back.

10. Christopher

And I think that's an incredibly insensitive and petty thing to say. Creators are as human as everyone else, and they have every right to try to improve their work and correct past mistakes and disappointments. If you had wanted to do something a certain way, if you'd been deprived of the chance to do it right and had to settle for a less satisfying substitute, and if you then finally got the chance years later to go back and do it the way you always wanted, how would you feel if someone told you that you were stupid for taking that chance?

Besides, most fans of the show probably haven't read the books, because tie-in novels are rarely read by more than a couple of percent of the TV or movie audience at best. Heck, I haven't read the books, even though I often do read tie-in novels. So the story will be new to most viewers, myself included. If the story were relegated to the books permanently, then most fans of the show would never experience it.

11. Kimi3013

Kimi3013 Captain Captain

I didn't even know there were books until now...

12. Turtletrekker

Kirsten Bell says that the new season will be "Darker and different."

https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/2018/09/27/veronica-mars-kristen-bell-new-season-darker/

This makes sense for several reasons. One, they are not limited by UPN or CW on their content. Two, the original Veronica Mars, which certainly had its moments of darkness, was a story about a kid. A very capable kid to be sure, but a kid nevertheless. Adulthood is different from childhood, so should Veronica's perspective be different from childhood and adulthood.

As long as the characters are true to themselves, I have no problem with "darker and different".

Anna Yolei likes this.
  13. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

And honestly, the show was pretty damn dark to begin with. I mean, the first season alone had Veronica investigating the murder of her best friend while she herself was recovering from being raped.

It's not like it was ever NANCY DREW.

14. Christopher

Frankly, I think childhood can be at least as dark as adulthood. The world is a more strange and unknowable place, you're powerless compared to the adults around you, and every experience and decision is new and scary and feels world-shakingly important. Not to mention that children are often victimized by the adults around them or endangered by the world those adults carelessly build. Look at how much dark and disturbing stuff goes on in young adult fiction. Harry Potter and Katniss Everdeen both fought for their lives in massive civil wars by the time they were 18. And as Greg just said, Veronica Mars's teen years were anything but easy.

15. Turtletrekker

I did acknowledge the shows darkness in my post, I was referring to the "different" part. Having a different perspective during childhood and during adulthood.

16. bigdaddy

Nope. The show was supposed to be super dark on a cable network. Duncan was going to Veronica's sister, and all kinds of incest and a different rapists.

17. Christopher

I think someone stole your verbs.

bigdaddy and Anna Yolei like this.
  18. bigdaddy

Me not verbs. ;)

19. Turtletrekker

20. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral