News Variety Reports Robert Pattinson is the new Batman

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by auntiehill, May 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

2. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

Well whatta know! Thanks for sharing that. Learn something new every day!

3. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

So far I have mixed feelings on this.
    I really hope that we get to see "the world's greatest detective" in action, and not just endless fisticuffs. Even the Nolan trilogy barely got into that. Magical tech like the bogus sonar cell phone network, and the thing that gets fingerprints from shattered bullets, isn't really detecting.

Kor

The Nth Doctor and Booji like this.
  4. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

saddestmoon likes this.
  5. Sketcher

Sketcher Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't think it looks bad, but it does feel like more been there/done that - gritty realism, armored black batsuit. Personally I was hoping the next Batman film would be more akin to the animated series - blue and gray costume with white eyes, art deco high rises, something with a dark atmosphere but sans the gritty Nolan and Reeves take on it. Maybe the next next Batman iteration.

saddestmoon, Kor, Booji and 1 other person like this.
  6. wayoung

wayoung Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't know what I was expecting in it but I do feel like they're in a cycle of "dark and gritty" with diminishing returns. Every version of Batman has to be darker and grittier than the one before....

I'm sure I'll end up watching it on theatres because, well, Batman, but I'm no more excited for it than the Ghostbusters movie.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
    Trekker4747 likes this.
  7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Right. I'm more than ready for a fun, avuncular, unambiguously heroic Batman in live action. Maybe not as campy as Adam West, but in the vein of the Batman of most of the '40s, or of the early '70s.

8. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Exactly. At some point we've got to get to the bottom of this particular well, this one looks like it may have gotten there as it seems to pretty much be almost getting to Frank Miller All-Star Batman and Robin levels.

saddestmoon likes this.
  9. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The thing is it seemed like WB got the point after Snyder, but nah. Or maybe they do get it, and this is what people want...

10. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

I didn't think they would go darker and didn't think it could get darker than where Nolan and Snyder had taken things. I'm OK with another dark take as it does look pretty interesting but after this trilogy or whatever is done I wouldn't mind them deep diving into a more colorful Denny O'Neil esque Batman.

11. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

All Star Batman is garbage. This is nowhere near that.

I'm OK with another dark version; it is the "Dark Knight" after all. But, I think something closer to the animated series would be of interest too. Of course, nothing will every replace the Adam West Batman in terms of colorful.

12. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Imo Nolan kept the balance of dark and fun/cool quite well. Snyder list the plot a bit, but was finding his footing as seen in the Snyder cut.

13. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

The Dark Knight was oppressively violent for me. I went down a hole and never came up for air. I love the film but I don't rewatch it very often. Begins and Rises, on the other hand, I find to be much more in the spirit and tone of the style of Batman I enjoy. Snyder's Batman is the most "comic book" Batman we've seen and he is very much the Batman I feel I know is Snyder's Justice League.

This film--I just can't get over the "I am Vengence" line in the trailer. I will watch the movie when it goes to streaming rental, unless I see something here when the movie is released that changes my mind.

14. Christopher

Clearly homaging "I am vengeance, I am the night, I am Batman!" from B:TAS's "Nothing to Fear." I've always hated it that that's become an "iconic" and oft-quoted line, because Batman is about justice, not vengeance. Vengeance is the Punisher's bag. Batman isn't just about punishing criminals, he's about protecting innocents so they don't have to suffer the way he did.

Commander Troi likes this.
  15. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Perhaps he will redefine himself.

16. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

And the thing is, the episode where Batman said that wasn't even that good. In fact, the Scarecrow makes a similar proclamation: "I am fear incarnate, I am the terror of Gotham, I AM THE SCARECROW!"

So Batman's line sounds like he was trying to imitate Scarecrow.

17. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Aren't the contemporary comics generally dark and grim as well? Granted, I don't read them and didn't read much even back when I read comics more actively so that's not completely rhetorical.

In the movies, Burton saved Batman from 60s camp. Nolan saved Batman from Schumacher camp. Not that I hate those completely, especially the 60s Batman but I think that was what the movies had to work with at the time to convince the audiences that Batman was still viable to newer audiences. It might be hard to pull back at this stage.

I've wondered if they have perhaps gone a bit too street with this version. Batman usually has a sense of theatricality with the costumes and gadgets and so on, will it still feel like a superhero movie and does it need to, I guess we'll see. This Batman does seem to be encroaching on Punisher territory but that is ground where MCU Marvel is currently lacking so it does differentiate it.

18. Christopher

The main-continuity ones are, but there are others that take a lighter tone, and I think there's an increasing audience for such things these days.

People often say that, but the Burton films are just as campy and ridiculous in their own way, with things like the sequence of the newsreaders without cosmetics, or the crime circus or the missile-bearing penguins. The Burton films had a superficial grimness but were really quite cartoony and absurdist, like most of Burton's films.

the G-man and Anwar like this.
  19. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wish they would do live-action Batman movies with a feel more like Batman:TAS. To me, that series generally had the kind of tone that I like for Batman, though of course there was occasional silliness and mediocre episodes.

Kor

20. Christopher

Yes. B:TAS played it seriously, but not to the point of relentless grimness. It was probably closest in tone to the Batman comics of the '70s, their heyday under Dennis O'Neill. Most of the comics stories it adapted more or less directly, like "The Laughing Fish" and the Ra's al Ghul 2-parter, were from that era.

Kor and Commander Troi like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.