vampires

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by timothy, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Vulagr

Vulagr Commander

I don't know if anybody's mentioned this since I didn't read through the entire thread.

Brian Lumeley's Necroscope has a very unique twist on Vampires, and quite possibly the most unique of them all.

2. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

P.C. Cast house of night comic #1 is now aviable on digital dark horse. see signature for link.

3. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

4. timothy

I am surprised they did'nt put blood ties or forever knight in that list.

though I am glad Buffy made it.

5. timothy

6. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

SFX has started a new Greatest Vampire Ever poll: http://www.sfx.co.uk/2011/12/06/vote-greatest-vampires-ever-poll/ You can vote for up to 5 characters.

Here are the results of the last one: http://www.sfx.co.uk/2010/06/05/top-50-vampires/ They decided to start a new one due to the surge of new fictional vampires - the last one didn't even include The Vampire Diaries characters (plus this time ere's more characters from True Blood in this one, the US version of Being Human, the remake of Fright Night, the weird Sanctuary version of Nikola Tesla, and maybe a few more).

7. timothy

chuck hogans's the strain #1 of 11. comes out this week from dark horse comics.

8. timothy

P.C. Cast's House of night #3 (of 5)
    The strain #2 (of 12)

and of course:

Buffy the vampire slayer freefall #5 <(with two cover this week.)

also found a great vampire web site for books

http://www.vampirelibrary.com/

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  9. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Finally got a hold of a copy of "Let the Right One In", I enjoyed it but I still prefer the American version really. There's something much more adorable about the couple in it that makes the film better to me. Feels weird to call a Vampire movie cute or romantic but it is.

10. Goliath

Goliath Vice Admiral Admiral

This is a bit of a tangent, but I am currently reading the second volume of an urban-fantasy series by Richard Kadrey that may be of interest to fans of vampirism.

The books in the series are entitled Sandman Slim, Kill the Dead, and Aloha from Hell. In a world where magic and monsters are real, but hiding out in the margins of everyday life, the main character is a magician who is betrayed by his friends and dragged down to Hell while still alive. Once he's Downtown, though, he discovers that he possesses unexpected powers. After eleven years, he claws his way back to the world of the living, and goes looking for revenge.

The style is very hard-boiled--think Supernatural meets Mickey Spillane. The main character's name, Stark, is a pretty clear homage to Richard Stark, author of a series of hard-boiled crime novels featuring a professional thief named Parker. (Kadrey includes a character named Parker, as well) I don't read much urban fantasy, but I'm enjoying these books a lot, so I think I will read more in the future.

Vampires exist in the world of these books, and the second novel begins with the hero hunting down bloodsuckers, Blade-style. There's also a monster called a Jade, which drinks people, instead of just their blood: like a spider, it injects its victims with digestive enzymes, liquefying their insides, and then enjoys a human milkshake. Yummy.

11. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

^Sounds pretty good, might give it a try.

I just finished book 10 of the "Noble Dead Saga" this morning and enjoyed it. I'm not sure if I mentioned it here before but it's a rather good series that involves a lot of magical/mythical races, with Vampires being the focus of most of it.

It would spoil a lot of the story to say more, it sort of resembles Lord of the Rings, with the Human or otherwise humanoid characters pitted against two immortal, immaterial sides of a thousand year old war fighting over 5 powerful artifacts that both made the world and if opened, unmake it element by element.

12. timothy

currentlly reading the vampire lestat of the vampire chronicles by anne Rice for the first time. loved interview with a vampire book way better than the movie after watching it agin.

13. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I saw a book at the store the other day called, "The Slayer Chronicles," and I thought it had to have been a knock-off of "Buffy." When I opened it up and read the book jacket, I saw that the main character's name was Joss! :lol:

14. Methos

Methos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Lestat is alright... think my favourite of the Vampire Chronicles is Blood and Gold...

Marius kicks ass, definitely my favourite Anne Rice style vampire :D

Over 2000 years old, still kicking ass and taking names... not to mention he b**chslaps Lestat regularly for being a prat lol

M

15. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

fyi: the new issue of ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY (with Batman on the cover) has some nice shots from DARK SHADOWS and ABRAHAM LINCOLN, VAMPIRE HUNTER.

16. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

True, he was one of the few elder Vampires, or any of them at all, Lestat would respect or listen to, in his own way.

His story with Pandora was one of the more interesting of the whole chronicles series even if I didn't care too much for Pandora.

17. Methos

yeah, mainly because i think he was one of the very few vampires that could actually kill Lestat if needed...

If you think about it, Lestat claimed he was 'so powerful' after drinking from the Queen 3 times in all... so he had a pint or so of her blood in total, and thought it was the 'supervamp' lol... Marius had been drinking from her for over a thousand years... throughout all the time he looked after her while she was in his basement and in the mountain safe, he drank from her at least once a week at her leisure... adding that up, i find it pretty likely that Marius could easily slaughter Lestat if he wanted to... i put him only a step or two down from Maharet and Mekere...

M

18. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I'm not too sure.

Marius did drink from Akasha much more, and for longer, but she was sharing what she chose to share, and in her crystalline form. When she reanimated it's possible her blood became even more potent and made Lestat, if temporarily, stronger.

But yeah I tend to think the original fang gang from the old days were still leaps and bounds ahead of Lestat in strength and ability. Pandora was amused by him, but wasn't frightened in the least, she could probably have taken him in two with her hands easily.

Mekare and Maharet are bound to be the strongest, Mekare killed the queen of her kind bare handed when Lestat couldn't bend an arm. Those two are very powerful.

19. Methos

i actually think the opposite...

When Akasha was in her crystalline form, she hadn't ingested any human blood for decades, if not millenia... So her blood was as pure vampiric as its going to get... when she was human again she started ingesting human blood again, so it would have gotten into her system and diluted her blood somewhat... so i think Marius drunk the stronger blood over Lestat in that case...

M

20. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Hmm, hadn't thought of that, it would have been fully turned in her veins in dormancy.