USS Voyager vs USS Bellerophon

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Trekboy1993, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Jedman67

Jedman67 Commodore Commodore

Basically they'd have to pay royalties; especially if they wanted to use the character again. IIRC, the novels can "speculate" that one character is simply an alias of another, especially when dealing with a secretive spy agency.
    Since "Koval" was produced in the staffroom rather than by a spec script; the character belongs to CBS and not the writer.

2. Prax

Prax Commodore Commodore

The writer of Mind's Eye was a DS9 staff writer, and still with them in season 7.

Since the Character was never named, Royalties aren't a consideration, and since Koval only appears in one episode, royalties(if that were the case) wouldn't be a cause fir concern. As I said above, there are other returning Romulan characters in that episode, one of them from TNG season 5 and nowhere else.

Tom Paris was only meant to be a character similar to Nick Locarno. It wasn't related to royalties as Robbie McNeal wasn't the original choice for the role. After failing to find a match for "Tom Paris," someone suggested just getting the original "Nick Locarno" They liked him, and he was cast.

3. Jedman67

Jedman67 Commodore Commodore

I think if the character is named in the script, even if not in dialog, royalties are still owed.
    They didn't end up using him again, but they could have - and royalties i believe are based on the number of times an episode is aired, which is why 90% of extras don't have speaking parts; they just nod and smile or whatnot.

4. ItIsGreen

ItIsGreen Commander Red Shirt

I haven't seen "The Mind's Eye" in a while, but: If the character wasn't named in the final episode, can't we retrospectively assume it was Koval? I thought only what made it to the screen was considered canon anyhow. If the name in the script is never spoken in the episode, then what does it matter?

Anyhow, it's not like he showed up in TNG again, it's a completely different group of people on a completely different ship in a completely different part of the galaxy at a completely different time so I'm not really on board with the 'small universe syndrome' argument.

Besides which, I've seen some of the novels go to greater lengths to tie up minor continuity threads into big elaborate overcomplicated knots so I'm cool with it being this one Romulan dude we saw once before in the entire franchise.

5. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

We can assume whatever we want, but the character was named in the script and there's no indication that the writers of the latter episode intended Koval to be the same character seen in TME.

6. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Admiral Admiral

Hell, why don't we just assume that every character in Star Trek played by John Fleck is Silik the Suliban in various disguises on various assignments related to the Temporal Cold War? Is there anything in canon that says they aren't?

7. Prax

Prax Commodore Commodore

A straw man, like earlier.