USS Grandeur - One... More... Time!

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Vektor, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Titan Designer

Titan Designer Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I like how this ship is taking shape. Good job.

2. CaptainRoop

CaptainRoop Lieutenant Red Shirt

It is neither. That is the USS Blackfoot a scout fighter craft, that is assigned to Grandeur. And I think Vektor drew an outline of the ship just to show everyone what will be inside the hanger bay and it purpose there.

For pictures of the Blackfoot go to http://www.sextondesign.net/Blackfoot/ Hope that helps some.

3. Vektor

Vektor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Blackfoot outline is for reference only to show its location within the hooded docking bay. It's not going to be mounted on the outside of the ship.

4. Mr. Cellophane

Mr. Cellophane Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This revision looks really nice, Vektor. I can't wait to see more!

5. Vektor

More refinements to the bridge decks, the docking bay and the deflector assembly.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If you look closely, you may notice that the bridge decks shown above have been transferred directly from the last version of the Grandeur that was nearly complete, with a few adjustments to match the new primary hull. This actually added a deck and I haven't decided if I'm going to keep it.

One other thing that should go without saying: All I've done so far is rough out the general shapes with sub-d objects. There are all kinds of little errors, flaws, gaps, discontinuities and so forth that will need to be fixed as I go along.

6. Kazeite

Kazeite Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

CaptainRoop, FYI, Banzai class fighter was designed by Paul S. Cargile, and, the mesh of that craft, as noted by him, is way too big. But I guess it's a good thing in this case, since it could fit into the hangar bay more easily. :)

7. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

:)

The latest updates look terrific, btw... this could wind up being the best "non-canon" Federation starship design I've ever seen. :thumbsup:

8. AstroSmurf

AstroSmurf Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow... I have got to get me one of those. :drool:

9. Vektor

Thanks for the compliments, gang. Just be aware that there are a number of things that still can and probably will change before this is done. I've already discovered a couple of things I liked in the 2D views that aren't working out so well in 3D.

Here's a couple more WIPs, probably the last for today, showing pretty much the entire ship:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. CaptainRoop

Check my signatures on getting one of those when the time comes.

11. AstroSmurf

Actually, I was talking about the real thing... but a model might have to do. Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

Are you going to be filling in any other areas of the ship besides the bridge? I have a corridor concept that would fit well with the style you have already established. I also have a warp core that I sketched a couple of years ago that might work for you...

I just have no idea where they are in my huge mess of files. :confused:

12. CaptainRoop

We can talk about it, need to talk with other people. Dig them up and send stuff to me in E-mail ldr@neo.rr.com

Must be having problems getting that quote thing down. Sorry

13. AstroSmurf

I hope I wasn't being pushy. :) I just hate for my work to sit gathering dust if I think it could be useful. Use them if you wish or chuck it in the trash. Your choice.

I'll try and find them. I made a paper model of the corridor that I may still have somewhere. You know, that sounded really old school... :D

14. CaptainRoop

No you are not to pushy, NP there. Check out this link http://forums.ussgrandeur.org/index.php?showtopic=14 alway welcome people who want to be part of the project. Be happy to see what you have and run it passed "The Commander" who is the head of the project, and NightShadow who is doing the bridge module and other interiors as well.
    We will be looking forward to it, and thanks for speaking up.

15. CaptainRoop

Kazeite I want to thank you again for the FYI on the creator of the Banzai class ship. We managed to get ahold of him and got the offical use so to speak. It was great to know after all this time. And now will be able to put his name down as creator instead of just unknown, for future pics.

16. Vektor

Got some work done on the nacelles today. They're not going to be much different from the previous versions, just enough to warrant rebuilding them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. biotech

biotech Vice Admiral Admiral

Great as usual, of course there are people that would kill to get the cast off you are no longer happy with.

Well maybe not kill, but scratch anyway.

18. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

Ooooh, I like the new integration of the "fin" on top of the nacelle... very slick. :thumbsup:

19. USS Jack Riley

USS Jack Riley Captain Captain

Vektor - she's looking great. Almost what I wish the Enterprise E was (although I happen to like the Enterprise E's design, even without the neck).

Can't wait to see the final version. :thumbsup:

20. Vektor

Okay gang, I've gone almost as far as I need to with the test model except for some additional work on the underside of the primary hull. I've decided to run a couple of turntable animations to get a better feel for what the ship looks like from a full 360 degree perspective. Here is the first one, rendered from a high angle. The next one to be posted shortly will be from a low angle.

Rotation from Above (DivX, 794KB) - Please right-click and save to your computer; you'll save me some bandwidth on repeat viewings and it will play better to boot.

Have a look and let me know what you think about the ship's overall proportions and any other particulars you want to mention.