USS Grandeur - One... More... Time!

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Vektor, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

I hate to say this, but "none of the above". I'm sorry Vektor, but I think the original saucer "flowed" better than this latest iteration or any of its variations.

If I were rethinking the Grandeur, the only thing I would consider changing is the deflector area to make it "flow" a bit more organically up the face of the saucer, like so:

[​IMG]

Other than this, I think you had a jim-dandy original design beforehand.

2. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

I have to chime in in support of Professor Moriarty: I also thought the previous design was better than the new one - the long, sweeping wedge that rises from the nose and out to direct your view to the nacelles was classic, and tied the various elements of the ship together much better than the current 'triangular' upper deck. I think there are too many longitudanal cuts in the current design, especially after they are bisected by the triangle (frankly, it reminds me too much of the Sovereign now). Of the current options, I prefer the deflecter in its more forward position, but the name and number also look better closer to the front (and thus, larger).

:wtf:

3. largo

largo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

option 1.

4. the citizen

the citizen Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

:vulcan:I agree, Vektor. This makes sense and I may have even mentioned that when we talked over splitting/not splitting the phaser strip up there. That's why it looked odd I think.

5. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

I'm gonna jump on the bandwagon with Moriarty and Ptrope and say that I think the earlier saucer looked better.

If you do continue with your new saucer, though, I like #2 better, but neither arrangement of the name and registry. I like them the size you have them in #1; it really does make the ship seem bigger.

6. candida

candida Fleet Captain

I agree with the Mod (it's part of my new kiss-ass persona).

But I prefer the more rearward deflector. (Bang goes the kiss-ass persona).

I particularly like the more rearward deflector as it would necessitate canting the bridge to a greater angle off the centreline "to avoid interference" - perhaps it would even have to face backwards . Also the forward space the deflector occupies could be used for the bowling alley.

7. dru

dru Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Of the choices you laid out, Option 1. However, I too prefer the prior saucer incarnation. I've never liked the arrowhead look on Sovereign and don't like it much on Grandeur either.

8. Vektor

Vektor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Everybody just chill for a little while. Clearly the new design does not measure up to the previous one, so I'm going to try for a third option that combines the best elements of both. Gimme 'til the end of the week.

9. Cary L. Brown

Cary L. Brown Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Actually, I really like the new one. I much prefer the non-split phaser ring. I think that the advantage of "flowing" the little deflector rig into the cannon recess can be accomplished while still having the phaser ring cross the gap. I like the more "mechanical" feel of the new design better than the old one, with the smoother and more organic curves. Then again, that's just me... I like something to look like it makes sense, and the new design really does "make sense" as I look at it. The old one, while perhaps a bit more "artistic," feels less "real" to me than the new one does.

Hey, it's all a matter of personal style, we all know that. I'm just saying that the new one is much better from the viewpoint of my personal style. A small tweak to the deflector element and I'd say it was perfect.

But that's just me... ;)

10. Cobalt Frost

Cobalt Frost Captain Captain

Cobalt Frost in Phineas & Ferb's backyard
    Option #1, definitely (IMO).

11. FrontLine

FrontLine Nekkid Hedonistic Ethical Slut Admiral

NO!!! :mad: :p

Ok if I had to pick one of the options you presented, I like the shape of the saucer and aux deflector location in #1 the best. But I dont like what it forces vis a vis the registery number and ships name.

12. Peacemaker

Peacemaker Vice Admiral Admiral

Option 1 obviously.

13. Vektor

Rather than spend a whole bunch of time and effort on another iteration of the 3D model, I decided to do some 2D layouts instead. Here's what I have so far for the top view:

[​IMG]

Obviously this isn't finished, but it should provide some clues to where I'm headed, especially with the primary hull.

More to come in the next day or two.

14. Cary L. Brown

Well, shoot... and here I liked the "new" one better than the "newer" one... (sigh) ;)

15. Vektor

^^ I may yet go back and finish the last version one day. Even though it wasn't quite what the Grandeur crew was looking for, I think it deserves to be completed.

16. Cary L. Brown

Nice to hear! I agree... and I don't think we're going to run out of names, or numbers for that matter, for starfleet ships anytime soon!

Actually, with Trek off the air and off the screens, there's a chance that things will sort of go back to how they were in the late 70s and early 80s, during the last "great trek renaissance" before it was killed off by Paramount Legal. People doing their own work, out of love, and making it form a complete cohesive whole that's not perpectually, and willfully, being contradicted by lower-quality stuff coming from the "official" guys. ;)

17. Vektor

A little bit of progress on the side view:

[​IMG]

18. Vektor

More progress on the 2D plans:

[​IMG]

Extension lines removed for clarity:
    [​IMG]

And a close-up on the front view:
    [​IMG]

Again, all of these are evolving as I go, so nothing is final until all five views are completed.

19. jadcox@mindspring.com

jadcox@mindspring.com Commodore Commodore

Seconded!

20. Vektor

Here's a quick overview of how I plan to proceed at this point and what some other people are going to contribute, especially the Commander, a.k.a. the Citizen:

1. Finish 2D plans.
    2. Detail bridge module and hand off to NightShadow for interior work.
    3. Build simplified 3D test model to verify proportions in perspective views.
    4. Make any necessary corrections to 2D plans.
    5. Have the Commander begin detailing 2D plans.
    6. Build detailed 3D model using 2D plans as templates.
    7. Provide unwrapped UV templates to the Commander for texturing.

Commander, what I have in mind with respect to detailing the 2D plans is for you to do something similar to what you did with the original Grandeur design. I'm looking for your take on markings, insignia, hatches, emitters, gridlines, panels, and any other surface details you think are appropriate. I'm not talking about the textures that will be applied to the model so they don't have to be photo-realistic; simple color diagrams added to the 2D views I am creating should be sufficient. I will probably also let you lay out most of the windows.

The final texturing process will be a project unto itself, so let's save most of that for when the time comes.