USS Excelsior Study Model (Named USS Xavier)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by calamity_si, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

that's one beautiful design :)

2. calamity_si

calamity_si Commander Red Shirt

Thanks mate! :techman:

3. Kaiser

Welcome :) :techman:

4. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

I think it's a very cool design, great job in bringing it to life! I especially like the "wings" :techman:

5. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Thanks for posting that directly here where I can see it. Blasted filter won't let me go to your page.

6. JES

JES Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I especially love the dorsal back, where the bridge section flows into the rear. I also love how great a weapons arc you gave her.

Hey, your the one who gave her an unusual registry. SV-20-A? I mean what the heck is that supposed to denote?!

So maybe it was like that competition for the F-22, with Northrop's YF-23 Black Widow being the loser.
    It would explain why the Xavier never got a proper registry. Either I say that she never existed, or made it out of the conceptual stage, or I speculate she made it into the construction/testing phase, but the Excelsior met the outlined specifications better, and Starfleet or whatever organization in the Federation that handles these sorts of affairs decided not to give commission her, but decided that she served better as a testbed.

7. calamity_si

Hi JES, thanks for the lovely comment mate and a very interesting question. I actually got the registry from the 'USS Ecelsior Technical Manual - Revived' thread which was a great resource posted right here on Trek BBS by Praetor:
    http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=86430

Now this design (as you correctly postulated) was intended to be a concept only and never reach the full production stage. Hence why the SV-20-A registry. Later released concepts were the SV-20-B, C and so on. A final design was then chosen (that of the now familiar Excelsior) and that was then moved into the testing phase, for which the NX-2000 registry was given.

My bit of background apocrypha is that the hulk of this ship was left abandoned in a junk yard for a period before being later revived to test another type of transwarp engine.

8. Starship

Starship Captain Captain

Great work Simon!
    I´m still working on mine, but it will take some time...

You did a small mistake: your 4 naceles version is based upon the concept bellow, and not in the one you showed in the second post, right? ;) Looks like you also got inspiration from here, and added your personal touch in the end too. Anyway, as I told you before, your version looks great.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  9. calamity_si

Hi Starship, thanks for the kind words mate. I'm really looking forward to seeing yours! Uh, I think the picture you posted there is the same one that I showed in my second post. Either way it's the same ship and the very one I based my model on. That concept sketch you showed is interesting. I've seen it before but never actually noticed the nacelle grills before you pointed them out. Comparing them to mine, they do indeed look similar. Very keen eye you've got there!

10. calamity_si

11. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

calamity_si, smaller images, please. I have a 27" screen and they stretch beyond the edge of that.

12. calamity_si

Sorry Terror Grin. Perhaps you could click on the link to my deviant art page below and the gallery there will hopefully be of a more appropriate size?

13. Kaiser

Wow's she's booking faster than a Costellation class =o

14. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

It is such a cool design, she looks fast yet elegant.

15. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I'd say this design, especially for the central tower, if for anti-piracy--defense against raiders, starfighters, etc.

Imagine that tower on the spine with a phaser array all 'round, and DS9 type tubes--a giant flaktower turret.

Like Ingram, I'd call it a Space Control Ship

This individual did a lot of study models--or his own take on them...as in the Liberator:
    http://s149.photobucket.com/user/pauly1972_photos/library/USS%20Liberator?sort=3&page=1
    http://s149.photobucket.com/user/pauly1972_photos/library/USS Azure?sort=3&page=1
    Yours http://s149.photobucket.com/user/pauly1972_photos/library/USS Atlas?sort=3&page=1

Here is his planet of the Titans ship
    http://s149.photobucket.com/user/pauly1972_photos/library/Apollo Class USS Gage?sort=3&page=1

More
    http://s149.photobucket.com/user/pauly1972_photos/library/Medusa Class USS Hutzel?sort=2&page=1

16. calamity_si

Thanks for that publiusr. Fascinating to see what Paul Cairncross came up with there...his version of the ship I've worked on was especially cool to see. He seems to have gone for a design a bit more faithful to the original than mine. I guess from the sheer volume of ships that he's done, that he must have a 3D printer or something. I wonder if he'd do a 3D model of the Xavier?...

Your point on the ship use was also worthy of note. I can see what you mean about that dorsal blister on the photo you posted. It does indeed look like the ones used on the DS9 weapon sail upgrades. I can just see it popping upwards and rotating whilst spewing forth a volley of torpedoes!

As for the background story for the Xavier, I came up with something and posted it on Deviantart.

Here's my premise:

My research into the transwarp engine revealed that it was based on readings taken from Spock whilst the USS Defiant was trapped in a spatial interphase. I was thinking that after the initial transwarp engine failure on the Excelsior, the designers went back to a previous design and tested out a new 'spatial interphasic generator' that essentially would shift the vessel out of our 'space time' and into a alternate dimension, where it could essentially compress the distance it needed to travel and then rematerialize into our dimension. However, the generator could only be activated from within a high-energy warp field, so the ship would have to accelerate to maximum warp first and then activate the generator. Once this occurred, however, the ship msteriously disappeared. It turns out the crew were phased into various alternate and parallel dimensions and random times. Every time the generator was tried, the hapless crew would 'shift' to another dimension and even into another time (Think of a whole starship experiencing Sam Beckett's Quantum Leaps)! What they lacked was a means of pinpointing they're next shift. Each one would be totally random and the crews mission each time would be to see if there was a technology in existence that would help them target their destination.

I thought that this would be a great way of doing a 'reality crash' / crossover story where a Star Trek ship materialises in the Star Wars universe etc.

17. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Paul is founf over at starshipmodeler mostly. No 3d printer--it's all him.

Something else for your back story. Maybe the four nacelle design was for the rescue of folks in the Delta Triangle. It took both the TAS Ent and a D-7 to get out---four nacelles.

18. calamity_si

Neat idea! I like it!

19. calamity_si

JJohnson likes this.
  20. Kaiser

Awesome! :D