USS Enterprise inactivation ceremony

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by los2188, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Captain Rob

Captain Rob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Enterprise CV-6 is in TMP? I don't seem to remember it. Now I've got an excuse to go watch my Director's Cut. Again. Much better than the original. I like the idea of changing pictures.
    There needs to be a petition to save the ship for a museum. The first nuclear sub, USS Nautilus with it's one nuclear reactor, is on display in Conneticut. In the water yet. It should be possible, after defueling the Enterprise, to pump in concrete and fill all of the contaminated machinery spaces. The ship's been defueled and refueled before. All it would take is money. And I'd pay extra taxes fot that.

2. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

The CV-6 photo is probably pretty small. It's when Decker and Ilia are on the rec deck. "All these ships were named Enterprise."

3. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We've been over that before. The difficulties and costs would be enormous, and it's never going to happen.

Justin

4. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hum, this makes me curious. Summarizing the ship linneages seen in various episodes or movies:

Enterprise: Sailing ship, CV-65, Shuttle, NX-01. (a fifth sketch of CV-6 was made but not used)

TMP: Sailing ship, CV-6, Shuttle, Ringship, pre-refit TOS Enterprise.

E-D: CVN-65 and five Enterprises, E-nil through E-D. Note that none of these are especially detailed (for example CVN-65 has the right island tower, but a non-angled deck that could be CV-6) so one MIGHT forgive the E-B differences, but not the E-C.

E-E (First Contact): Six Enterprises, E-nil through E-E

E-E (Nemesis): Same thing (same models, stacked up on one side of the main display)

Mark

5. Captain Rob

Captain Rob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think that on TNG that the Enterprise models were all just profile models attached to thee back wall. Not full-blown models. Where as on FC we saw full model kits that were just painted gold. That way they could fly apart and break when Picard hit the display case. That way Lily could say "You broke your little ships."

6. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The E-D lounge models did have more than just profile - they didn't exactly feature the saucers proportionately sticking out of the wall (which would have been tough to walk around), but they had more detail around various nacelles, etc.:

http://drexfiles.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/raiders_of_the_lost_ships.jpg?w=655&h=362

And hey, I was wrong about the E-E lounge - it DID feature the same six Enterprises on both sides of the main viewer:

http://johneaves.wordpress.com/2009/06/26/more-of-the-golden-starships/

Interestingly enough, John Eaves had made models of the shuttle, CVN-65, plus a non-refit Excelsior, Miranda, Intrepid, and Oberth (!) models to go in the "other" case opposite; however when he brought them to the studio he found they'd already put duplicates of the six Enterprises in both cases. It's silly to have a mirrored display like that, but I think I like that idea better than having to explain why four unrelated ship classes are in there too, or why the NX-01 isn't in there despite the show being on the air at that time (and stranger still that Eaves designed the thing).

http://johneaves.wordpress.com/2009/06/26/the-golden-enterprise/

Mark

7. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

^^The NX-01 was designed by Drexler, not Eaves.