Poll USS Discovery after retrofit

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by ITDUDE, Nov 15, 2020.

?

Will Discovery still be recognizable after 32nd century retrofit?

1. Yes, no exterior changes at all

20 vote(s)
    27.0%
  2. Mostly, few doohickeys attached

25 vote(s)
    33.8%
  3. More or less, some recognizable elements will remain

25 vote(s)
    33.8%
  4. No, complete external makeover

4 vote(s)
    5.4%
  1. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You are conflating 2 different things. the Ship's name is the USS Enterprise. No Letter at the end. the Ship's Nickname is the Enterprise D. Not as catchy as "The Big E" but just as unofficial.

burningoil and KirkusOveractus like this.
  2. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    They should hire The Donald when his term runs out in January.
    He's really good at destroying things!
    :techman:

Isn't it possible that when DIscovery hit that "bump in the road" on the way to the 32nd Century, she may have been duplicated by some weird temporal shenanigans just like Riker in "Second Chances" (TNG)

It would explain pretty much all of the difference between "Calypso" and where we are now.

Either that Zora is off on her own choosing to hide from everybody, or She's in a different timeline.
    :techman:

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  3. darrenjl

darrenjl Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Who knows how Calypso fits into the story. Maybe there will be an episode where the Discovery-A comes across the original Discovery and they're just as confused as to why so they leave it somewhere no-one can find.

saddestmoon and Ar-Pharazon like this.
  4. AresB

AresB Commander Red Shirt

Yes, it did! :bolian: Though I'm afraid the serialized format doesn't allow whole episodes dedicated to a holodeck romp.

ITDUDE and Yistaan like this.
  5. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm so glad someone said this before me!

Not only does programmable matter make it possible for the Discovery to look like it wants, I think it plays into other themes of transformation/transition that are being developed this season: being allowed to present oneself as one wants.

Bollie74 likes this.
  6. Deks

Deks Vice Admiral Admiral

In regards to Disco's registry letter addon...
    According to official records, the USS Discovery was destroyed in 2258.
    Given the Temporal Accords and sensitive nature of how Disco found itself in the 32nd century (time travel - despite the fact it was done to preserve all sentient life in the universe), on a larger scale, I would imagine that the addition of letter 'A' to its registry during the refit was done to make it look like Disco is a different ship (a successor of the original if you will) as far as the general public is concerned.

It seems that with the latest episode, we know that apart from some Starfleet officers and certain individuals on Vulcan, no one else really knows about Discovery's real background (sans the 1 surviving colonist from 'The colony' and that thug - what's his name).

For all we know, Starfleet may have made up a credible story about Disco to brief other SF captains - and apart from the ships at HQ, no one else in Starfleet saw Disco in its original form (apart from Earth, but its no longer part of the Federation and they have no idea about Disco's time travel).

Calypso could still tie into canon. As someone mentioned before, because of programmable matter, Zora could have decided to return Discovery to its original 23rd century look while waiting (although, why she would decide to do so is a bit... strange... unless another Time Travel episode occurred and in order to get back to the 32nd century, Disco needed to wait in a nebula - likely in its original form so as to not arouse suspicion - or it may have been stripped of its 32nd century tech and returned to 23rd century standard and left to evolve on its own).

We still don't know whether Calypso will be tied into the rest of S3... and to be fair, I sort of see Calypso as a 'drawing board' for Season 3. A good standalone story that doesn't specifically have to be explained within the larger canon (although you technically could)