Spoilers United Earth and its policies

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by mattman8907, Oct 30, 2020.

1. mattman8907

mattman8907 Commodore Commodore

So since episode 3 basically said Earth is no longer a member of the federation and has gone back to what seems to be a military force (United Earth Defense Force) it makes me wonder was there a mass exodus of all federation alien species and now humans once again are the only inhabitants of Earth? What’s their policies regarding currency and all alien races.

also what do they do with all their free time?

2. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

I doubt it, taking a real life example, the UK left the EU, a large number of EU citizens left and a large number also remained and have no desire to leave (for now).
    Also in DISC since there is no warp drive it would take them years to leave and go where exactly?
    Plus all those diverse families might not want to travel, back to the EU example, a lot of indigenous Brits have EU partners and its just under 50 years since the U.K joined, so you can imagine how diverse Earth must be after 900 years being the HQ of the UFP. Pure genetic humans should be more or less a minority species.
    Back to a real life example, I doubt very much after 900 years there is a such a thing as a 'pure' Anglo Saxon living in the UK, especially London.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
    danellis, Sci, SolarisOne and 2 others like this.
  3. Kzinti

Kzinti Captain Captain

the episode shows an alien EDF officer
    [​IMG]

4. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

unless there enough of any species to continue on with more offspring, it's hard to imagine them lasting past a few generations in a xenophobic environment like that. might explain why a trill symbiont had to join with a non -trill

5. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

Did Terra Prime exist again? XD

6. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

There were a few aliens who beamed on board Discovery. There were probably a lot of non-human families who had been living on Earth for centuries at that point and likely considered Earth as much their home as any human.

Sci, SolarisOne and Nyotarules like this.
  7. rhllot

rhllot Captain Captain

I saw a tellarite member of EDF
    the earth was the capital of the federation at least vulcans, tellarites and andorians should be common on earth since they were the closest planets

8. mattman8907

mattman8907 Commodore Commodore

Now that’s just plain awesome

9. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Beyond the Burn, medicine has taken long strides backwards, and only the filthily rich can now afford to have facehuggers removed.

I wonder why the brave new Earth insists on being "United"? Is it out of perverse pride of once having been disunited, sorta Oz style? Or is it blatant "Our ancestors used to kill and eat each other, fear us!" propaganda? I'd think this would have worn off already in the thousand years of not having separate nations.

Timo Saloniemi

Mister Spock likes this.
  10. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

There is still warp drive and Earth has plenty of dilithium stored. So I imagine those that wanted to go home did go home.

SolarisOne likes this.
  11. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wonder if Earth has a source of dilithium in addition to having a stash. Perhaps Cochrane already powered his experiment with the help of dilithium mined from the Carpathians, or from Challenger Deep? But this probably would be the first well to dry up, in order to send the Federation scurrying for replacements and eventually leading to the disbanding.

Timo Saloniemi

12. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Plus, Adira has a Trill symbiont, and is apparently an established agent of the UEDF. That's another very prominent alien protecting United Earth.

SolarisOne likes this.
  13. EmoBorg

EmoBorg Commodore Commodore

There is nothing so far to indicate that the new Earth government is xenophobic. Earth might have left the Federation because the Federation collasped after the Burn. We might see the reason(s) why the Earth left the Federation in the next episode though.

14. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Agree, I didn't see a terra prime, xenophobic Earth. Plenty of aliens still there.
    They just became isolationist and thought of Earth first, regardless of whom is stuck there. 1000 years of mostly peaceful co existence doesn't just go away.
    Its Not like say the Kardashian err cardasions destroyed the dithium and they were kicked out or put into camps..

15. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not sure if you mean that all of Earth (i.e., the citizens' daily lives) revolves around the militarized defense force. If that's what you mean, then the is not necessarily true. We happen to see the workings of the defense force because that's the entity that protects Earth's space-border, but we don't know to what extent that defense force operates on the actual planet, or how it affects daily life.

What do we people confined to Earth do with our free time? (and I mean normally -- not just this past year) :)

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
    Paul Weaver likes this.
  16. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not allowed to say outside of TNZ.

17. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

We see aliens beam aboard Discovery, so no.

18. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

Having watched the episode yesterday, United Earth's isolationism had not made them xenophobic, the Earth Captain treated Saru as an equal. So thankfully Terra Prime is not running the place.

19. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

I got no impression from the UDF that they were xenophobic, nor a dictatorship. Earth still looks like a paradise to me, it's probably running as well as it ever did.

They were only isolationist because of the disaster that hit them and the entire galaxy. I think it is a lot easier to be isolationist when long haul warp travel is now very rare, putting your resources into defensive structures makes way more sense. Though it is pretty short sighted when you think about it a bit.

20. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Current Earth president is Thranduil.

XCV330 likes this.