Underrated Movies

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by EmoBorg, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Disruptor

Disruptor Commodore

What's strange about KING ARTHUR is that it amounted to director Antoine Fuqua, remaking his earlier film, "Tears of the Sun", in a different setting. The story of both films, is of course, The Seven Samurai bit reworked for the thousandth time.

2. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

another under-rated film is Predator 2.

3. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Ah Bill Paxton, the only man I can think of killed by a Terminator, an Alien and a Predator.

4. Disruptor

Disruptor Commodore

Lance Henriksen...though one of his characters died off screen and another was an android that technically didn't die.

5. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

...and I just found out nearly 20 years after the fact, the Aaron Sorkin co-wrote it. No wonder I liked it.

6. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yes but he hasn't been killed by a ...ooh crap, forgot AVP! :lol: (Was he killed by a Predator?)

7. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Yes.

8. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Dang, I was hoping it was either an Alien or his asthma... ;)

Ok, Bill Paxton, one of only two men ever killed by etc etc etc

9. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

I've got another fairly recent movie to add to my list of Underrated Movies: Tim Burton and Johnny Depp's Dark Shadows. I just saw it a few hours ago and absolutely loved it. It is definitely better than its 40% (official critics)/47% (fan reviews) rating(s) on Rotten Tomatoes, and really needs a sequel.

10. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

You're getting a double shot of George Hamilton with this one.

First is Zorro: The Gay Blade, this is actually a whole family favorite. Everyone in my family quotes this movie all the time. A truly funny take on the El Zorro legend, with some straight up over top, definately non PC retelling. If you haven't seen this, you are missing a jem of a hilarious movie.

Second is Love at First Bite, a funny take on the Dracula legend. George has all his charm working in this one.

11. Goji

Goji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I liked Tim Burton's Dark Shadows too. Definitely my favorite of his since 1996's "Mars Attacks".

I also want to mention "Mr Bean's Holiday". The Mr. Bean tv show was a huge part of my childhood. There were only fourteen episodes (typical of British shows) and I watched them endlessly. The first movie came out right around the time I was really into the show, and I hated it. It somehow managed to be both a complete rehash of the series' best jokes and a complete betrayal of its spirit. "Holiday" was really a return to form and even though I was much older when it came out, I loved it and was completely baffled at its mediocre-to-bad reputation. Rowan Atkinson was just as funny in the role as he ever was on the tv series, the French countryside was beautiful and utilized well in the story, and though I'm sure it's been used before in films I haven't seen, I really enjoyed the concept of having three main characters who each spoke a different language. Plus, the ending was really quite sweet. I'm not one that really goes for overt sentimentality in film, but it worked here, even if they had to ever-so-slightly tone down the more mean-spirited aspects of Mr. Bean's character to make it work.

12. Kirkman1987

Kirkman1987 Commodore Commodore

It has a small cult following, but Robert Altman's live action Popeye film is actually pretty good. The casting is beyond fantastic, and the visuals and design really evoke the original Thimble Theater comic strips. Segar

EDIT - I just wanted to add that I started reading the new Popeye comics from IDW and they are excellent. I'll be picking this up every month for sure.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  13. Magellan

Magellan Commander Red Shirt

Really? I just saw it and thought that it wasn't quite funny enough to be a comedy but didn't really have enough going on to be an action movie etc. The final battle just seemed to drag.

Let me add Battleship to the list. Yes it is a dumb action movie but it was better than some other dumb action movies (transformers 2 and 3 obviously) And at least Lt. Taylor Kitsch(sp?) learned something unlike another young unlikely commander we all know.

14. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm adding John Carter to this list. I just finished watching it, and have to say that I'm stumped as to why it flopped financially. I think it's a better movie than people have given it credit for, and disagree rather strongly with the critics' complaint that it felt derivitive of other Sci-Fi properties. If there's anything out there that it reminded me of, it is The Prestige, but only because of the mystery aspect of the story's Earth-based framework. There was one moment right at the end when the film felt like Avatar, but that was the only moment in the entire film where I felt like it was retreading familiar ground.

15. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Seconded.

16. BennyRussel

BennyRussel Commander Red Shirt

Right around the corner. Just across the track.
    Thirded. Better than the Original IMO

17. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Yeah, it's a lot more exciting and action-packed than the first one, but the first one is better crafted.

I love 'em both.

18. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Predator 2 is kind of the grindhouse version of Predator.

19. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Since we are talking Predator let me just say I also really like Predator 3(Predators).
    Adrien Brody was a question mark for me as I followed the production but damn it, he did this thing called acting and sold me on him as a tactical badass.
    I hope we get a Predator 4

Thoughts on Predator 3? Underrated as well?
    Fox may be too caught up in the Prometheus saga to turn attention back though for the short term.

20. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I didn't think Predators was as layered (if you will) as the other two. The other movies work on multiple levels that reward multiple viewings whereas I didn't really get that from that movie. It's not that they're "deep" per se but there's just a lot of different details and such to them.