Uhura - A message from Harrison & first look at Klingon with no helmet

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by SalvorHardin, May 1, 2013.

1. horatio83

horatio83 Commodore Commodore

Re: Uhura - A message from Harrison & first look at Klingon with no he

I agree, this would have been better, cheaper and would have fans have wondered whether they are "smooth" or "crunchy".

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Let's remember that Roddenberry was glad to completely redesign the Klingons for TMP, and asked fans to accept that they'd really looked that way all along and the makeup on TOS just hadn't been up to depicting it. Just imagine how the fans in 1979 must've felt. It was an adjustment, but we got used to it. And this redesign is minor by comparison.

3. controlfreak

controlfreak Commander Red Shirt

Yes. In the JJ Trekverse, ENT is the only thing that happened. That pleases me to no end on so many levels.

:cool:

4. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

One more reason to completely ignore Abramstrek. ;)

5. controlfreak

controlfreak Commander Red Shirt

And yet you feel compelled to post here. Don't you have better ways of expending your energy?

6. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Looking at those pics, if you squint you can almost see ridges on the TOS Klingons. Not the clean shaven extras, the main characters.

Back in 79 I was excited to see that they had made the Klingons look more alien.

I showed the screen cap of the new Klingon to my non-Trekkie wife and she said, without hesitation, "Klingon?". Say what you will, but people will get it.

7. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

First thing I thought.

8. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

I don't know why, but the first thing I thought of when I saw this nuKlingon was Jem'Hadar.

And yes, I also think that his eyes are completely off.

9. Christopher

It seems to me that changing the eye color is an an incredibly minor adjustment compared to the many previous changes in Klingon design we've seen. Let's see...

"Errand of Mercy": "Alien Mongol" look with brown-green pancake makeup, short hair, bifurcated eyebrows; all Klingons clean-shaven except for Kor and his lieutenant, who wore goatees (more or less).

"Friday's Child": Completely human-looking, with full beard, short hair.

"The Trouble With Tribbles": Still human-looking; goatees on featured Klingons, but some background Klingons beardless.

"A Private Little War"/third season: Back to the dark makeup and bushy eyebrows; goatees and short hair still standard on males, though some extras in "Day of the Dove" have just mustache or soul patch, and at least one is clean-shaven.

ST:TAS: Stylized version of finalized TOS look. Female Klingon with thinner brows, afro-style hair.

ST:TMP: Major redesign: head bald on top, single massive vertebral ridge extends along middle of head; bridge of nose also ridged. Beards, bushy eyebrows retained. Hair medium-short and backswept.

ST III: Single row of vertebrae replaced with wide bony plate, individualized for each Klingon. Noses now smooth. Long-haired look debuts. Female Klingon (Valkris) has much subtler ridges.

ST:TNG/DS9/VGR/ENT (debuting 1987): Much like ST III design, but restoring TMP-style nose ridges. Female ridges now just as pronounced as male, except in hybrids (and in abortive female-Klingon design seen briefly in "Hide and Q," with narrow ridges bifurcating full head of hair).

ST V/VI (debuting 1989): Similar to STIII, but with subtler, less protruding forehead plates. Noses smooth. Females again have very subtle ridges, and Chang barely has any. Long hair and various beard designs still standard, though Chang is bald with slight mustache.

STID: The one Klingon we've seen so far has a cranial plate and ridges similar to the previous three designs, though perhaps a bit more bulbous and with subtler ridges. His eyes seem unusually light, though it's hard to be sure. He is bald and clean-shaven, though reports suggest that others have hair. Ears and (by one report) ridges are pierced, adorned with rings.​

The Klingon look has been evolving for decades, and this isn't any more radical than the changes we've seen before. It's still just a variation on the basic design template that's been standard since 1984. The only real novelties are the eye color (apparently) and the piercings and masks.

Last edited: May 4, 2013
  10. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

TAS Klingon females had lighter skin than the males, really?

11. Christopher

^Good catch. I was going by screencaps from a Google image search, and I guess the differing image quality misled me. It's been fixed.

12. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's it! I thought of the Jem'Hadar too when I first saw the picture. Even though I don't care much for the masks, I have to agree with the view that it might have been better to just leave the masks on.

13. Nero's Shadow

Nero's Shadow Captain Captain

Let's flip this the other way would you have been upset when he took off his helmet and there were no ridges ??? personally I like it we all know as Star Trek fans and people that don't follow Star Trek Klingons is a common word and the appearance does not matter. on the other hand the producing staff have kept there word and shown us the Klingons without there helmets is this new movie. I've watched a interview with Kurtz and Oric this morning and when it come to making this 2nd movie they listened to fans on how kirk got his command so quickly and apparently pike mentions this in the new movie.?

14. Classic Fan

Classic Fan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ahh who cares. Besides, it not like 50% of the cast actually look like their 60s TOS counterparts.

So the Klingons look different, again.

Anybody thought that these Klingons are from a different continent on Qo'nos to the 'common' Klingons were used to? I have an open mind and I don't mind at all.

They look badass.

15. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Where's the picture from the movie that introduced the bumphead look?

The Klingons have varied enormously from movie to movie to tv show. Hell, by DS9 Worf doesn't look anything like he did in "Encounter At Farpoint."

16. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wonder if Abramsverse Klingons will play off the Enterprise episode Affliction. It would make sense if they are still suffering the Augments' ill effects, especially if...

....my theory that Cumbervillain is a Section 31 agent gone rogue, and is Eugenically Enhanced. Maybe the Klingons re-started up their Augment program, so Section 31 started their own, and sent Cumbervillain to wipe them out. From the previews, it looks like he succeeded if that is what he did.