UEFA Euro 2016 + Qualifiers

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Kilana2, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, good job by the UEFA to make the tournament a joke ...

There are several teams who would have been more deserving based on the performances.

2. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Got to say Portugal feel like unworthy winners and the fact a 3rd place group team who won 1 out of 7 games in normal time are champions of Europe, makes the whole Euro's feel a bit underwhelming. Not sure where I'd rank this tournament but not near the top for sure. Euro 2008 was the best Euro's for football for me still and that didn't even have England in it lol

3. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

Congratulations to CR7 and Portugal (and they did it without Cristiano).

My favorite team this year is Wales with Gareth Bale, though!

4. Whizzer

Whizzer Commander Red Shirt

Congratulations to Portugal!

I think Italy vs Germany was the most exciting match, but the last 15 minutes of the final were exciting as well.

5. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Overall, I think that Portugal played cleverer than people give them credit for. I ended up cheering for them, actually.

Not sure what was up with France. Towards the end of the regular time I started wondering how they actually managed to beat us. Certainly not one of their best performances tonight.

This was a weird tournament. It felt like it went on for ages (here's hoping the UEFA will switch back to the old mode soon). We had minutes of silence for the victims of various terrorist attacks every other day (though not for Orlando). There was all that senseless hooligan violence. Even tonight there were altercations between the police and supporters near the fan zone in Paris. And the UK voted to leave the EU at the end of the second week into the tournament, with England promptly exiting the EUROS as well. Generally, I feel like football took a backseat to the events in the world during this EURO and, as a result, it felt a lot less grand. Maybe it's also a metaphor of the state of the world today, along the lines of "that's why we can't have nice things".

6. { Emilia }

{ Emilia } Cute but deadly Moderator

When a Euro is less fun than the ESC you know it's been a really bad year.

I've never skipped so many matches before, including the final. Boring, boring tournament.

7. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

Unfortunately, the bloated 24 teams mode has proven to be just as bad for the quality of the tournament (including the spectator sport aspects) as I had feared.

Euro 2016 was a record revenue tournament for UEFA, so I'm afraid we won't see a return to the good old days of high-class, super tense 8 (16) team events.