UEFA Euro 2016 + Qualifiers

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Kilana2, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

This thread is dedicated to the football (soccer for the Americans. I don't know if anyone there is interested at all) European Championship 2016 in France including the ongoing qualifying matches.

I hope that hux will participate, then there is at least one to talk about......;)

Today is matchday:

Gibraltar vs. Germany among others.

Saw Poland winning 4:0 against Georgia and Ireland vs. Scotland 1:1.

2. hux

hux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Slovenia 2 - 3 England

Good second half. Lots of goals. England pretty much qualified.

I don't much care for the 24 teams Euro tournament though. It basically means virtually everyone in Europe will qualify (even some African teams might accidentally qualify)

Best third place teams *sigh*

3. Kilana2

Except the usual suspects like Malta.

Scotland has - like always - no chance for the final round. There are still the highland games left, though :D

The Euro 2016 might be a catwalk for CR7 again.

4. hux

Cyprus 0 - 1 Wales

Another good win for Wales (on the verge of qualifying for their first major tournament since the 1958 World Cup) :eek:

Netherlands 0 - 1 Iceland

But what the hell is happening with the Dutch? Lucky for them that Platini has made it virtually impossible not to qualify for Euro 2016.

5. Kilana2

Oh, yesterday I wasn't online.

Germany vs. Poland 3:1. I had a bottle of beer and fell asleep. So I missed the third goal.

6. hux

San Marino 0 - 6 England

Rooney equals Bobby Charlton's scoring record (49) but really should have scored more. Hopefully he will beat the record on Tuesday against Switzerland.

7. Kilana2

Ha!!!! Tomorrow Scotland vs Germany. I'm excited.......

8. Kilana2

What's up with the Netherlands???????

9. Admiral Bear

Admiral Bear Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hiddink resigned, the players are rubbish, Van Persie is way past it, and the team's nothing without that cheating gimp Robben.

Blind hasn't got a clue as manager. His team selection against Iceland and Turkey was beyond bizzare. It will be strange not to see Holland at the Euro Champ next summer, but they certainly don't deserve to be there at the moment.

There's clearly something wrong with grassroots Dutch football if Depay is the best they have, and he's about as Dutch as my little toe. Dare I say they're suffering from the English disease of having far too many foreign players in the Eredevise? I'd make some important points about the state of European football in general, but I'd probably get banned.

10. hux

Due to this idiotic 24 team tournament, I still wouldn't write-off the Dutch. They'll need to improve though and get a decent third place finish which isn't impossible.

Having half the continent qualify is like having a World Cup with 95 teams in it. Silly (but the Dutch are probably grateful for it right now).

11. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Beating the record against San Marino would have been a bit limp, better to do it against the Swiss. I guess its possible he might need to wait until the Euros themselves!

12. { Emilia }

{ Emilia } Cute but deadly Moderator

Huh? Now I'm confused. Wiki says he was even born in the Netherlands. And it's not like you have to be born in a country to be a citizen either.

13. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

[​IMG]

14. { Emilia }

As a sidenote I'm totally indifferent towards Italy's qualification. I wish Antonio Conte all the worst in the world after he jumped ship at Juve the first day of pre-season last year.

He's incredibly irritating.

15. Kilana2

hux is already wearing his kilt.........:D

.... and already in the pub. The first drink is on you..... Müller scored.....

16. Kilana2

Most entertaining. I need a Guinness right now....

17. hux

I'm in Aberdeen... but I'm English (Yorkshire born & bred) though I'm not against wearing a skirt (got great pins).

It's a shame Scotland probably won't qualify. Would have been nice to have all the home nations there.

18. Kilana2

Scotland - Germany 2:3

I liked the bag pipes :p

19. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

I feel I've missed nearly all of the qualifying season. There are some surprises among the likely top 2 teams of the groups, like Iceland (which I think is already qualified) or Northern Ireland and Wales. Also, some surprises regarding the teams that will probably not make it, especially the Netherlands.

Scotland vs. Germany was quite lively. The Scots equalizing twice was a good thing, though, because before those two goals, when Germany was in posession, the game got rather boring. Overall, I felt Germany played better against Poland.

20. { Emilia }

I'm always amazed that people actually watch qualifying games. To me they're mostly a nuisance that gets in the way of league action. :p

It might have to do with being Italian considering Italian teams only ever start playing proper football after the quarter finals of any tournament.

1:0 against Malta... exciting...