U.S.S. Curry - WTF?

Discussion in 'Trek Tech' started by Arpy, Dec 26, 2018.

1. KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Arpy, why does your kitbashed StarShip look incredibly phallic like with your arrangement of StarDrive / Saucer / Nacelles?

2. Arpy

Arpy Vice Admiral Admiral

It doesn’t make much sense tipped with the shuttlebay alone. I’ll work on an AWAC-like attachment with a sensor pod or interdiction unit or battering ram — something that, like the nacelles, needs to be apart from the rest of the ship.

But I like the counterlever balance of an extended blade as (along with an extended neck) it helps counteract the crampedness of the Curry.

@KamenRiderBlade, if you think it’s phallic now, wait til it has a dome tip :vulcan: :rommie::guffaw:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  3. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

I think something like the AWACs pod would definitely help, to use up some of that space. Do you think anything could potentially be mounted on the ventral hull without posing a problem for the deflector? I could think of a couple of possibilities, albeit some of them not fitting the mission profile. But it's interesting to think about.

4. Arpy

Sure, like what? I was debating putting the shuttlebay underneath the AWAC, but that kind of defeats the purpose of separating the “AWAC” from anything living.

5. Unicron

Could be top/bottom sensor pods, as one possibility. I'd have to think about it some more. :lol:

6. KamenRiderBlade

Please, no more phallic Star Ship designs.

7. Arpy

We don’t always get what we want in this life. :cardie: :rommie: :bolian:

Plus, don’t read so much into it. It’s not meant to be phallic. I’m just exploring different configurations, and if this plays with us in some multi-dimensional way (like the sexually suggestive xenomorphs in Alien) then, meh, let’s explore.

I think this design came to me initially because I didn’t like what I imagined the side view of the Curry to look like, hidden behind the nacelle. I though it imbalanced, with the thick neck attaching to the end of the wafer-thin stardrive. I thought, what if we flipped it?

8. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    I read somewhere a long time ago, in a BTS article, that the aft lower opening was supposed to be some kind of super-duper tractor beam on the Excelsior.
    :shrug:

publiusr likes this.
  9. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Starship envy?

10. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Something about “ample nacelles”. :shifty:

Ar-Pharazon likes this.
  11. KamenRiderBlade

I just don't want to see giant flying phalluses like on Lexx.

Ar-Pharazon likes this.
  12. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Then this one should really get your hackles up :lol:

USSphallus1.jpg USSphallus2.jpg

Ogrebear likes this.
  13. Arpy

^ lol that’s Battle Beyond the Stars level terrible.

Besides, I don’t read it as a phallus as much as an Olympian on the rings. Or an old-timey Rolls Royce. Or (the way it is now, without the AWAC) as a hornet’s stinger. I almost called it the Hornet, but the name was taken by another fan ship.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    Ar-Pharazon likes this.
  14. KamenRiderBlade

15. Arpy

[​IMG]
    U.S.S. Tiburon

Like the U.S.S. Phoenix's from TNG’s “The Wounded”, the Tiburon’s AWAC unit is wider than it is long and (from the front) gives a slight hammerhead vibe. (I'm not really happy with the design of the AWAC, but I’m working with an unsophisticated program and need to let it go for the moment.) I may shorten the front blade to keep the left/right cantilever balance of the ship a thing, but I like the AWAC being far ahead of the rest of the ship to suggest an idea of its danger/importance. Either the whole area is cleared of anything living, or the crew there needs to wear Excelsior Era engineering suits like Scotty in TMP onward.

[​IMG]
    U.S.S. Velázquez

What I originally imagined an undamaged Curry to look like after first seeing it on screen. Ideally I'd play with the pylons a bit and angle them a little further down (to maintain Roddenberry’s Rule of line-of-sight) and swept back (to look kewl). …though if I did that, I might have to work on the secondary hull (either shorten the flat section or widen the main body if it) to maintain balance.

But what really stands out to me here is how perfect the under area is for a giant attachment unit, maybe one that could transport a few thousand troops/colonists/refugees. We never saw troop transports in the Dominion War (ahem, Sydney Class, ahem), but if you're going to take a planet/system/sector, even with future tech, I think you're going to need maybe millions of personnel.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2022
  16. Arpy

Along the same lines as my U.S.S. Endurant above, I found this DeviantArtist's U.S.S. Ered Methrin. Interesting three-quarter shot...reminiscent of the Promellian Battlecruiser. I'm always on the lookout for original and interesting starship configurations and I kind of like this one, if not the Sovereign Era itself.

137th Gebirg likes this.
  17. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Ugh, that’s awful.

18. Unicron

Seems like a weird set of proportions - does the hull need to be that long?

19. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

It's in the proud tradition of the mixed bag of scales seen in all of the DS9 kitbashes! :D

Unicron likes this.
  20. KamenRiderBlade

Is it me, or does this get "Extra Phallic" vibes going on from these kit bashes?