U.S.S. Curry - WTF?

Discussion in 'Trek Tech' started by Arpy, Dec 26, 2018.

1. KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade Captain Captain

Arpy, why does your kitbashed StarShip look incredibly phallic like with your arrangement of StarDrive / Saucer / Nacelles?

2. Arpy

Arpy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It doesn’t make much sense tipped with the shuttlebay alone. I’ll work on an AWAC-like attachment with a sensor pod or interdiction unit or battering ram — something that, like the nacelles, needs to be apart from the rest of the ship.

But I like the counterlever balance of an extended blade as (along with an extended neck) it helps counteract the crampedness of the Curry.

@KamenRiderBlade, if you think it’s phallic now, wait til it has a dome tip :vulcan: :rommie::guffaw:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  3. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

I think something like the AWACs pod would definitely help, to use up some of that space. Do you think anything could potentially be mounted on the ventral hull without posing a problem for the deflector? I could think of a couple of possibilities, albeit some of them not fitting the mission profile. But it's interesting to think about.

4. Arpy

Sure, like what? I was debating putting the shuttlebay underneath the AWAC, but that kind of defeats the purpose of separating the “AWAC” from anything living.

5. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

Could be top/bottom sensor pods, as one possibility. I'd have to think about it some more. :lol:

6. KamenRiderBlade

Please, no more phallic Star Ship designs.

7. Arpy

We don’t always get what we want in this life. :cardie: :rommie: :bolian:

Plus, don’t read so much into it. It’s not meant to be phallic. I’m just exploring different configurations, and if this plays with us in some multi-dimensional way (like the sexually suggestive xenomorphs in Alien) then, meh, let’s explore.

I think this design came to me initially because I didn’t like what I imagined the side view of the Curry to look like, hidden behind the nacelle. I though it imbalanced, with the thick neck attaching to the end of the wafer-thin stardrive. I thought, what if we flipped it?

8. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I read somewhere a long time ago, in a BTS article, that the aft lower opening was supposed to be some kind of super-duper tractor beam on the Excelsior.
    :shrug:

9. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Vice Admiral Premium Member

Starship envy?

10. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Vice Admiral Premium Member

Something about “ample nacelles”. :shifty:

Ar-Pharazon likes this.
  11. KamenRiderBlade

I just don't want to see giant flying phalluses like on Lexx.

Ar-Pharazon likes this.
  12. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Vice Admiral Premium Member

Then this one should really get your hackles up :lol:

USSphallus1.jpg USSphallus2.jpg

13. Arpy

^ lol that’s Battle Beyond the Stars level terrible.

Besides, I don’t read it as a phallus as much as an Olympian on the rings. Or an old-timey Rolls Royce. Or (the way it is now, without the AWAC) as a hornet’s stinger. I almost called it the Hornet, but the name was taken by another fan ship.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    Ar-Pharazon likes this.
  14. KamenRiderBlade

15. Arpy

[​IMG]
    U.S.S. Tiburon

Like the Phoenix's, this AWAC is wider than it is long and (from the front) gives a slight hammerhead vibe. I'm not really happy with the design but am working with an unsophisticated program and need to let it go for the moment. I may shorten the front blade to keep the left/right cantilever balance a thing, but I like the AWAC being far ahead of the rest of the ship to give the idea of its danger/importance. Either the whole area is cleared of anything living or the crew there needs to wear Excelsior Era engineering suits like Scotty's after TMP.

[​IMG]
    U.S.S. Velázquez

What I originally imagined the Curry to look like after seeing it on screen. Ideally I'd play with the pylons a bit and angle them a little further down and back. What really stands out to me here is how perfect the under area is for a giant attachment that could transport a few thousand troops/colonists/refugees. We never saw troop transports in the Dominion War (ahem, Sydney Class, ahem), but if you're going to take a planet/system/sector, even with future tech, I think you're going to need maybe millions.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019