Twelve Reasons I Love Star Trek Into Darkness

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by BillJ, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Pretty much. Though once we hit the film the train's off the rails and over the cliff. Vulcans are now all about ceremony and ritual.:vulcan:

2. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

I was always nonplussed by Vulcans having fight-to-the-death rituals, but the other ritual stuff I never minded too much. It's one of those surface contradictions that makes a culture feel actually organic.

3. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Spock in the wilderness (TMP) and He is Risen Spock (STIII) took it too far.

4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I for one would watch Spock and Uhura bicker a thousand times before watching them sit in "professional" silence pretending to push buttons.

If they'd kept bickering during the Klingon attack or the battle on the surface, yes it would be unprofessional. But they didn't - they were talking while nothing was happening and were all business the moment something came up.

5. BigJake

The irrelevant false dichotomy can be a fun genre. I, for instance, would rather watch...

... Kirk and Spock unprofessionally play parchesi than sit around doing paperwork.
    ... Scotty and Bones unprofessionally slap-fight like twelve year olds than watch them spend a day swabbing the decks together.
    ... Keenser and Jar-Jar Binks being painfully fed into a running engine than doing anything else at all.

Not particularly useful... but fun! ;)

6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

But you duck my point that there was nothing unprofessional about Spock and Uhura's convo, since it took place while a fat lot of nothing was happening.

7. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

+1

8. BigJake

Assuming such a moment was necessary -- which is questionable in a movie that time-cheats as radically as STID -- there are any number of ways to spend it that don't require the characters to be either a) pushing buttons in silence, or b) bickering about their relationship. I mean, you don't really need it explained to you that those are not the only two options.

Really, of course, the moment isn't so much about their relationship as it is about providing Spock a chance for a little exposition about his character arc, which is about learning to make peace with his grief the way Kirk is learning to deal with real responsibility. The narrative purpose it's serving in the bigger picture is clear enough... which is different from necessarily selling it as a really great character moment for him or Uhura.

The "relationship stuff comes up at awkward times" rationale that was proferred earlier by BillJ kind of bothers me now that I think on it a bit. It's kind of conflating everyday relationship drama with high-stakes professional settings and pretending that it's perfectly normal for women to behave flakily in the latter, which isn't the case.

9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I used to be sure that it was Rick Berman that sucked the fun out of Star Trek. Recently, I've become convinced that it is fandom that has sucked the fun out of it.

What the fuck are you talking about? Nowhere did I say that she acted "flakily". She was simply someone with something on their mind that needed to be said. Since they were on a mission with low odds of success (per Spock) and may DIE, she figured there might not be another time to say it.

Might want to actually pay attention to the film you're constantly complaining about.

Definitely convinced that fandom has sucked the fun out of Star Trek.

10. BigJake

Edgy. :techman:

11. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

Now, that's not all that happened... I'm not saying her part was shakespeare or anything, but it wasn't just the undies shot either.

12. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is some kind of goddam seal of truth.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  13. Mario de Monti

Mario de Monti Captain Captain

An amazing piece of music, I love it. Which reminds me: has anyone heard if a complete soundtrack release is planned for STID, as there was for ST09?

14. austen_pierce

austen_pierce Captain Captain

This. Vulcan vs Augment. I hadn't considered this, even while watching the film. Human vs Augment in hand to hand combat has a predictable outcome. Matching Khan against Spock's superior strength made for a 'hell yeah' moment that I appreciate now even more.

Saldana's Uhura does not respect NuKirk. As NuKirk gets comfortable in his own skin and gels into TOS Kirk, I expect his tolerance for this to diminish. May be in the next film we'll get something like: "Keep any relationship trouble in your quarters. There's no place for it on the bridge." ;)

15. martok2112

martok2112 Commodore Commodore

Fandom sucks the fun out of everything....that's a large reason why I stopped being a fan of anything. :)

16. martok2112

I can see Kirk eventually admonishing Uhura for that....but I think Uhura respects Kirk. After all, he was a major part of why they're still alive after the Narada incident.

I think what has not fully settled in is the notion that Kirk and Uhura were once classmates, and now are captain and subordinate. They still are kinda in that "classmates/peers" mentality.

As for the awkward timing of Uhura's conversation with Spock during the mission to Q'onoS, I liken it to the final battle in the film version of "Master and Commander"....when Captain Aubrey tells his men to act sloppy and un-navy-like. Kirk indirectly ordered his crew to behave similarly....largely in the form of his orders to Hendorf and the other security officer....similar orders were likely given to the others in the party as well. "We're not Starfleet officers. We're K'normian arms dealers/smugglers.". Uhura was just taking her leeway just a little further than most. :)

17. BigJake

Going to a fan forum to complain about fandom is like going to a nightclub to complain about dancing. :p

18. martok2112

Going to a Trek movie to complain about it....same thing. :)

On the serious side though, really, fandoms do tend to suck the fun out of everything, because if someone just enjoys a movie that a few vocal "fans" wanna complain about, and then start doing the whole "more fan than thou" dance...yeah...just takes the fun out of simply enjoying a movie.

Let's face it....if you didn't like the first JJ Trek movie, and then you go to the second one, expecting more of what you didn't like about the first one...then you're just going simply to have something new to bitch about.

I come here to talk about Trek, in all its forms....I don't let fandom constrain my enjoyment of Trek. :)

And if someone wants to think I'm a dumbass because I liked Star Trek Into Darkness...that is THEIR psychological problem...not mine. :)

19. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Nice effect.

20. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is that a lens flare? :lol: