Poll TVH 1701-A Bridge or TFF 1701-A Bridge?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Galileo7, Jun 5, 2018.

?

Which one do you like best TVH 1701-A Bridge or TFF 1701-A Bridge?

1. TVH 1701-A Bridge set

19 vote(s)
    35.2%
  2. TFF 1701-A Bridge set

35 vote(s)
    64.8%
  1. golddragon71

golddragon71 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Voyage Home Bridge for me. i didn't like how the turbo lifts were placed in the Final frontier and Undiscovered Country. I think it woul;d have been fine to place them further apart on the B and C as they would have been moving Generationally towards Picard's era. But I think that while Kirk was in command, they should have retained the bridge as it was at the end of Voyage Home so that it would have her a sense of continuity for that crew

2. Bad Robot

Bad Robot Commander Red Shirt

Between just those two choices, I had to go with the Voyage Home partial set.

My deciding factor was the carpeted floors of TFF and TNG, which I dislike. (Wouldn't those pose a fire hazard?)

However I've always loved Nick Meyer's revamping of the TMP/TNG sets for his movies, including the retrograde work he had Zimmerman do with the TFF bridge.

I agree about the E bridge looking tacky. A lot of those post-TNG Berman era sets just haven't aged very well at all.

Lance, mos6507 and Galileo7 like this.
  3. Lestatdelc

Lestatdelc Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Heh. Now that I am out of newbie status, I can thankfully fix my typos.

4. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is the world of Star Trek not Alien. Carpet floors on the bridge has been around since TOS.

Vger23 likes this.
  5. Bad Robot

I've never noticed them on TOS, in fact I'm fairly positive the deck was rubber and black.

The bridge set built for The Motion Picture had a proper metal/rubber -looking floor, as did the redress set for The Undiscovered Country and the set built for the 2009 movie.

In the picture linked from 2takesfrakes' post on the previous page, only the Enterprise E bridge has a carpeted floor. But I know the Next Generation TV set had one, as did the Final Frontier set. I've always imagined it started as a TNG thing, and then Shatner wanted a TNG-style bridge set for his movie.

Galileo7 likes this.
  6. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Here's something to see, Bad Robot.

7. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

The TMP set design has something the newer bridges don't have, which is negative space. There's empty space between the stations and between different zones within each station. This gives the bridge a less cluttered feel to it in the sense that it looks like fewer personnel are required to be there looking at screens. The stations feel like highly specialized niches with a focal point for one person sitting down rather than a continuous series of flat-screen displays with random/repetitive information and no boundary other than the support-ribs.

This purposeful design is most evident in things like the extension that wrapped Spock's station.

[​IMG]
    Or the tactical station that is sort of nestled in a corner.[​IMG]
    They're unique spots with a lot of visual interest.

Once the displays started to wrap around, yeah, it looked more modern, but also a bit too gaudy and information-overload. The wraparound effect first appeared, after all, in the Excelsior, and you were supposed to treat that as pompous and show-offy.

[​IMG]
    Another thing to factor in is lighting. While I liked the bright look of the bridge at the end of The Voyage Home, I don't think that overly lit white bridge would have looked good for an entire film, especially if the film had a particularly dark or somber plot to it.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    JonnyQuest037, Galileo7 and Lance like this.
  8. Bad Robot

Well darnit. The stuff looks awfully thin though, at this point I'm inclined to assume it wouldn't show up on a TV screen. I've got the TOS blu-rays and have never noticed it. Whereas the carpeting on TNG has looked strange to me ever since I first started getting into ST in 1987.

The Final Frontier and First Contact sets, I didn't notice it until looking through one of the older art books of the time. And I remember it surprised me in the case of The Final Frontier because I was more familiar with the set's redress in The Undiscovered Country. However it's jumped out at me ever since.

I tend to think of the lighting as something that can hopefully be adjusted as necessary, and certainly if the TMP set (or however much of it was really there for just those two shots) appears as bright as it does in The Voyage Home. However it looks like The Search for Spock's Excelsior has a TOS primary color thing going with it's backdrop displays. I never noticed that.

Lance and mos6507 like this.
  9. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

Carpet in THE FUUUTURE is not flammable, der!!!

STEPhon IT likes this.
  10. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

None other than TOS producer Bob Justman commented on TNG's recreation of the set for 'Relics' that the only thing he could pick wrong with it was the carpet colour being slightly wrong, so I'd take that as evidence that the TOS Enterprise bridge at least was carpeted.

STEPhon IT likes this.
  11. Vger23

The re-created bridge set at the Star Trek Tour in Ticonderoga is carpeted as well, and that's supposed to be built exactly like the original set...so further evidence.

Lance likes this.
  12. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Carpet on the bridge. http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/2x03hd/thechangelinghd0671.jpg :techman:

mos6507 and Vger23 like this.
  13. Vger23

14. Bad Robot

15. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The stairs are totally in the wrong place too. Just sayin'.

Lance likes this.
  16. inflatabledalek

inflatabledalek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I do like both versions of the V/VI bridge, it's a fun nice looking set. And comparing it to the version from just a decade earlier really hits home how far computer tec had come in a very short time.