TV shows that STILL aren't available on DVD!?!?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by The Borgified Corpse, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Admiral Admiral

I bought Quantum Leap on Blu Ray but I'm only up the the middle of season 2. If the first review on Amazon is correct then the music has been restored. https://www.amazon.com/Quantum-Leap...8&qid=1548994559&sr=8-4&keywords=quantum+leap

2. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Third watch is stil not on dvd/blu-ray.
    Only seasons 1,2 and 3 I believe.
    Unbelievable for such a great show

Gary Mitchell likes this.
  3. Mysterion

Mysterion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Another vote here for wanting a US release of Blake's 7.

4. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Premium Member

By season 8 ('82-'83) the show was widely regarded as having come back to form and Eddie Murphy had become a major star. Season 10 ('84-'85), after Murphy's and Joe Piscopo's departure, was the one-year cast with already-established performers (Billy Crystal, Martin Short, Christopher Guest, Harry Shearer, Rich Hall) and was also well-received. Plenty of good stuff in those years.

What those seasons didn't have, though, was Lorne Michaels, and perhaps not coincidentally have gotten short shrift in reruns and compilations. When the '80s seasons were available for streaming, they weren't full shows, just selected sketches, and no musical guests, so they weren't paying for music clearances like they did with the first five seasons. Which is too bad, because even in the worst times there were musical performances worth seeing, even in Michaels's abysmal '85-'86 comeback season (I'm thinking of Johnny Cash, Tom Petty, The Kinks, Fear, Cheap Trick, Lindsey Buckingham, Captain Beefheart, The Go-Gos, Rick James, The Clash, Squeeze, Big Country, Adam Ant, The Fixx, Madness, George Thorogood, Parliament-Funkadelic, Frankie Goes to Hollywood, the Cult, the Replacements, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Rosanne Cash, others I will remember later...).

TheAlmanac likes this.
  5. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Vice Admiral Admiral

I think of Eddie Murphy being the only thing watchable in that era. A string of bad Weekend Update hosts, some of the worst recurring characters. At least it’s the era I find the least watchable, to my eyes only the post-Norm pre-Fay phase even comes close to being as bad.

6. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Valerie Bertinallei had two one-season wonders, "Sydney" and "Hotel Americain" which were hysterically brilliant. I want them.

Also the John Larroquette show, season 1. Season 2 sucked from tinkeritis.

Gary Mitchell likes this.
  7. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I, too, had a crush on Lisa Dwan. :)

She was on an episode of Alec Baldwin's radio show, Here's the Thing back in 2015, and she talked about the show (though not by name) and how much she did not enjoy it.

8. J.T.B.

To each their own, but people weren't going around talking like "Bu'wheat" or saying "You look marvelous" because the show sucked and nobody liked it. The Doumanian season, on the other hand...

9. TheAlmanac

TheAlmanac Writer Captain

As a big Highlander: The Series fan, I really wish its spiritual successor Queen of Swords would get a Region 1 release.

On a tangentially-related note, I don't think Roar or Tracker ever got DVD releases. There are plenty of older Canadian series (The Edison Twins, Breaker High, maybe Student Bodies) that I would also get for the nostalgia factor if I could.

Forbin likes this.
  10. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Rear Admiral Moderator

Roar did, but it was quite a while ago. (OK, just checked; Wikipedia says 2006.)

11. Jayson1

Jayson1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Is all of the "The Larry Sanders Show" out or just those special episode selections I think they first released? Also what about "The Gary Shandling Show?"

Jason

12. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

The ones I'd really like to see at this point are:

Get Christie Love!
    Love, American Style
    (only the first season was released)
    Q.T. Hush

I'm holding out hope. Since the entire run of Laugh-In and the only season of It's About Time have been released, I figure anything is possible.

Agent Carter season 2 is out on Blu Ray, but I don't see any US-compatible DVDs on Amazon.

The Borgified Corpse likes this.
  13. J.T.B.

Both were released as complete box sets. Larry Sanders is readily available, It's Garry Shandling's Show is out of print and fetches $100 or so, used.

14. TheAlmanac

TheAlmanac Writer Captain

Speaking of Canadian(-made) series, proper box sets for Droids and Ewoks (as opposed to the "movie" compilations of just a few episodes) would also be most welcome.

Spocko likes this.
  15. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Omg, I totally forgot about that show! I used to love watching it when I was younger, but I never realized it was Canadian.

TheAlmanac likes this.
  16. Jayson1

Jayson1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Did all of "Northen Exposure" make it to DVD or Blu-Ray? That's one I would like to get. Also I wouldn't mind checking out 'VR-5" again someday. Also what about all of "Homicide:Life on the Street? I know the first two seasons were in one pack but not sure about the later seasons.

Jason

17. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

All of Homicide is on DVD. In addition to the 1-2 box set, it was released as single season sets 3 onward, then in a complete series box (which was a cardboard filing cabinet, IIRC). The reunion movie was released separately.

18. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles ZARDU HASSELFRAU Premium Member

Shout Factory has since re-released the complete series, including all the L&O crossover eps and Homicide: The Movie.

TheAlmanac likes this.
  19. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Vice Admiral Premium Member

Amazon does DVD's "manufactured on demand" on DVD-R. I got When Things Were Rotten this way.

The quality is only a little better than VHS as there is no remastering of any kind. It was worth it, though I haven't been able to play in on a computer.

I got the movie Under The Rainbow the same way.

20. Amasov

Amasov Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

St. Elsewhere is viewable in its entirety on Hulu, I just found out.

May 20 and J.T.B. like this.