Tuvok's new assignment

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by stardream, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

But not everyone's career path is headed toward admiral either. The higher the rank, the fewer openings there are for it. Most people in the Navy never get anywhere near captain's or admiral's rank. They retire as commanders or lieutenants or ensigns or chief petty officers or whatever they level out at. Star Trek has created an unrealistic expectation that every character has the potential to become an admiral. Which is about as plausible as an entire command crew getting to stay together on the same ship for 20 years, or to get reunited on a namesake ship after they wreck the first one.

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

To be fair, Starfleet seems more officer heavy than most navies, and there doesn't seem to be the "up or out" practice common in most navies (hell, most militaries) either. Actually, no up or out would work against the idea of everyone becoming a captain or admiral.

3. Kirsten Beyer

Kirsten Beyer Writer Red Shirt

I think I'm with Christopher and those here who don't see a real reason for Tuvok to want or need to ever rise further up the chain of command. I'm not sure there's any significant organic reason, given what we have seen of Tuvok over the years to go that direction. It likely won't be up to me, given that as of this writing he is still on the Titan, as to whether or not he ultimately might move or be moved in that direction.

As to a few earlier questions....yes, Tuvok does appear in Pocket Full of Lies. It was a treat to get to write him again. I've wanted to for awhile and when I hit this particular moment in time - the beginning of the fleet's second year in the DQ - and found that he was available, I was just thrilled.

And yes...it is our timeline's Tuvok. I won't speak for any of the other characters on that one. February's not that far away.:)

As to the original thinking, I wasn't there for most of it. Titan was in the works if not already released when I started to work on what would become Full Circle. It was simply part of the first mandate...Janeway's dead and Tuvok is on Titan. Next...

But I do believe the choice was Marco's, along with Mike and Andy's, and while I miss him, I do support it. I like the sense of "reality" it adds to see him moving on and serving with distinction elsewhere. It has been hard enough to realistically bring everyone else back together in fits and starts and having Tuvok as a guest star worked well for PFoL...at least I think it did. You'll decide in a few months.

I don't think any precognition about the success of the Voyager books would have changed Marco's mind. And for what it's worth I don't think we would ever have gotten Hugh Cambridge as he is were Tuvok still around. Much as he was useful as the security/tactical officer, he was far more useful as Janeway's oldest friend and sounding board. Cambridge has taken that role (not the oldest friend part, obviously, but confidant to be sure) with Chakotay now. While I do think Chakotay and Tuvok share a deep respect for one another, I can't see Chakotay and Tuvok playing off one another the same way he and Cambridge do.

So, yeah. I'm good with it.

Best,
    KMFB

4. Alwaystrekkin

Alwaystrekkin Lieutenant Red Shirt

And, anyway, with Harry Kim being Voyager's Tactical/Security Officer, and Tom Paris eventually becoming First Officer, and of course Chakotay as captain, what job would Tuvok do on Voyager "post-Endgame."?

BTW, thanks Ms. Beyer, for the PFoL info; am looking forward to seeing Tuvok again in a new Voyager novel, in whichever manner it may occur.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
  5. stardream

stardream Commodore Commodore

Yay! :beer:

6. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

Interesting... :D

And February is ages away. I'm still waiting for Atonement!

7. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

I'm going to pop in here and shamelessly beg that Kes return to the Voyager novels.
    Pretty please????

8. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

We do know that she and Kol are still in business restoring Ocampa. :)

9. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm just going to shamelessly beg that KMFB keep writing these novels, preferably for the rest of my lifetime? :D

10. laibcoms

laibcoms Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I agree, Tuvok is where he should be.

In real-life, at least the politics here in the Philippines, I always comment against people moving to a new "position" or "assignment" (or decided to run for office) when they're doing a great job in their current.

Not to mention, as Tuvok goes up in the chain, there will be less that he can do as well. For one, Captains don't just go in away missions. Then Captain Riker mentioned that feeling, and now that he's an Admiral, even more so.

Tuvok, for me, is already where he can use his talents and skills the best, with all the flexibility available to him. He's almost always at the right place at the right time. Also, he didn't appear to me as someone interested to be a Captain and Admiral. :)

Ooooh! Now I'm even more interested.

If it's the second year, that's a leap. Considering too that Tuvok is 'available', I wonder what's going to happen in "Sight Unseen", hmm...

Also that would mean the Voyager relaunch will now be at the same time period as the rest of Star Trek. With slipstream and all... dang, all I can say is WOW.

She did. She's involved with Janeway's ... ;) And hinted what she's doing at the moment.

11. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

Thanks guys for the teasers about Kes. I'm in the middle of a massive Trek rewatch/read and am several years behind but I'm pleased to know that Kes isn't completely out of the picture!

12. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Actually, no. Second year of the Full Circle mission is 2382, which is still four years prior to when the rest of 24th century continuity is. So nothing in Sight Unseen will lead into Pocketful of Lies.

13. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Am I the only one having trouble getting "Atonement" on the UK iTunes? I've seen it in physical release at Waterstones, but I have all the previous VOY books on digital so OCD won't allow me to buy this physical.

I go to UK iBooks through the app and it doesn't even have "Atonement" listed as available, even though I'm sure I already pre-ordered it and the follow-up "Pocket Full of Lies" is showing as upcoming and as pre-ordered. I google "Atonement voyager ibooks" and I only get US iTunes, which is no use to me.

Asking this in here btw cause i don't want to be spoiled by going into the main review thread.

Help!

14. James Swallow

James Swallow Writer Captain

Stuff. Stuff is going to happen. Also, things.

15. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There seem to have been some issues with the UK Ebook version.

Amazon took a while to put it up (A few of us UKers were mentioning it in the review thread)
    Kobo seem to have it available if that's a viable format for you?.
    https://store.kobobooks.com/en-US/ebook/star-trek-voyager-atonement

I can't see it on Itunes UK either

16. Kirsten Beyer

Kirsten Beyer Writer Red Shirt

Good evening, friends...

I'm going to take that as a huge compliment and also promise to do my best to comply on the understanding that you are already very, very old.

NOT that I don't love writing these novels. I do. But to imagine doing nothing else with the rest of my writing life, especially considering that I am not yet very, very old....let's just say, I hope not. I could do worse. But, you know...

No...as someone mentioned above (and thanks for the quick and accurate response) the Voyager stories are still a few years behind everyone else. We have just finished year one of their explorations in the DQ, so June to June-ish of 2381/2382. The next book picks up where we left off...still in 2382 and keeps us there for a few months of 2382.

So...yeah...nowhere near everyone else yet. I knew I could use Tuvok when I did not because I'm with or past everyone else now. I knew because when I looked back at where he was in mid 2382 there was enough unexplored time for me to pull him into my story for a bit and then return him undamaged to continue in the stories that have already been told post this time frame.

You know, I asked my editor about this last week and he confirmed on Wednesday, I think, that the problem had been fixed and the ebook was available. When I read this I went to the amazon UK site and couldn't find it. So I will drop him another line on Tuesday as everyone will be off work tomorrow for Labor Day.

So sorry for the inconvenience. It has annoyed a number of my readers. I am not pleased, to say the least and will do all I can to make sure it is put to right.

Best,
    KMFB

17. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^^Oh, I don't blame you at all. I know your control over it is pretty much gone by this point and yet I'm sure you get a fair portion of the blame. Just antsy, that's all. :techman:

18. apollo1984

apollo1984 Commander Red Shirt

I have not kept quite up to date on the latest novels, I got to destiny and needed to take a break, I know Riker gets a promotion does that promote Vale to Captain of Titan and Tuvok as XO? or is rikers promotion more of a temporary thing like his promotion to captain when he fought the borg?

19. Csalem

Csalem Commodore Commodore

I don't know if this should be in spoilers but just to be safe:

Riker is still an Admiral. Vale is still a commander but in position of acting captain of Titan. I assume the next Titan novel out at the end of the month will reveal how this situation will develop.

20. James Swallow

James Swallow Writer Captain

You assume correctly. :bolian: