TRON: Legacy - Review and Grading

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Neroon, Dec 16, 2010.

?

Your rating on "TRON: Legacy" ?

1. Excellent! It should be permanently installed!

63 vote(s)
    32.3%
  2. Good - could use an upgrade or two but overall stable and inventive

89 vote(s)
    45.6%
  3. Average - Hold its oen with Tron 1982.

29 vote(s)
    14.9%
  4. Poor - nice to look at but I then it abends all over the place

12 vote(s)
    6.2%
  5. Should be immediately de-resed!!!

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I was waiting for Quorra to turn to Sam, look at him with her big, beautiful, eyes and say, "Tell me of your home world, Sam."

2. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed, but it didn't at all make sense, since their brief exchange made it pretty clear he knew she'd be outside. The guy loses his father, and BAM, she leaves him and goes out alone into an unknown world rather than wait a few minutes while he tidies things up? Actually, that would make sense, if he wanted a private moment to grieve, but I guess TPTB were too scared to put such a somber scene right before the credits, and he certainly didn't look at all upset when he ran into the old dude.

I kinda wish Clu was planning to dominate the Internet rather than Earth. Would've been far more believable and thus much satisfying (not to mention different) from the weird-ass world domination plot he was trying for.

3. wildstar

wildstar Commander Red Shirt

I figured that that guy was Tron because of the 4 squares on his chest. I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be a surprise or not because of the blatant nature of it.
    Be nice to have a better closure on the character though as the movie is called "Tron" after all. I guess they're planning EU type things like games and comics to continue the character.
    So.. if Clu supposed to be the original Clu (who was derrezzed in the original Tron) or another creation?

4. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

He must be CLU II because they showed Jeff Bridges creating him in a flashback in this movie at the point where he was living in the Grid.

In the movie's defense, Master Control was planning on taking over the world in the original, too. He told Dillinger he was going to take over the Pentagon and the Kremlin next.

5. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

I liked how when we saw Flynn creating Clu II, he talked and acted just like the original Clu from the first film. The clipped way of speaking and everything.

6. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

This didn't occure to me until a friend asked if I had stayed through the credits.. Was there a post-credit scene??

I'm assuming not since it hasn't been discussed here, but I thought I'd ask...

7. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

No, there wasn't. As usual, I stayed until the end of the credits, but not because I thought there would be a scene, I just usually stick around for the credits themselves.

8. Trekker4747

Funny. In my cut of the movie Olivia Wilde flashed her love-pillows after the end-credits.

9. Trekker4747

Video Review of Tron Legacy from The Spoony Experiment. Like many of his videos it's nearly an hour of him just talking and rambling in a flow of consciousness. Still interesting and entertaining.

10. Satyrquaze

Satyrquaze Vice Admiral Admiral

I found the the movie visually beautiful, but the plot left something to be desired.

11. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

That would have been worth the price of 3D admission alone!!!

12. Kaijima

Kaijima Captain Captain

This is one film where it's worth staying to the end of the credits for the amazing score.

The title end credits track is a fantastic piece of music, and actually hits the right kind of triumphant note of victory to end cap the story, and the chill out track that follows ("Solar Sailer") is a good way to relax after the fairly intense final act.

13. Trekker4747

14. SilentP

SilentP Commodore Commodore

I have to agree with this sentiment, it was nice to not have an 'Ice Queen' character to deal with...

I watched the original recently, so I'd at least have an idea of what this universe would be like, so I got to enjoy that film.

Overall, I have to say I really loved it. The story line left a little to be desired in term's of Clu's plan and motivation, but that was perhaps the only reall weak point for me. Everything else was awesome, the music, the characters, the dialogue and obviously, the visuals.

15. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Absolutely. I bought the score immediately after getting out of the film and I can't stop listening to it. Daft Punk really captured the atmosphere of the film and paid wonderful tribute to Wendy Carlos (and at times reminds me a bit of Tangerine Dream, too). In a way, the score is like the 80's style of music but updated. If that makes any sense.

16. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't go out of my way to buy movie scores, but this time I made an exception. This was a great score, and the soundtrack is awesome. In regards to the 80's style music with 2010 tendencies, that's really what I thought of the movie as a whole.

17. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ I've never heard Daft Punk before. Does most of the rest of their music sound like that?

18. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Forget the real world, it would be interesting to see how Clu and those other characters would react to the idea that there was this whole other digital world out there that completely passed them by. I imagine there might be a bit of jealousy over their "users" choosing that world over theirs (in fact there's a whole religious subtext to that relationship that is just begging to be explored someday).

Not only that, but if they COULD cross over, it would be fun to see what the world and characters of our Internet might look like...

19. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

I plan to get the soundtrack as soon as possible. :D The snippets in the trailers were one of the first things that got me excited about the movie, and I think my two personal favorites are "The Game Has Changed" and "Fall."

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why couldn't they cross over? Isn't Flynn's Grid (or Encom's) connected to the Internet?

I guess not, come to think of it, otherwise the MCP wouldn't have had to ask Dillinger for information on the Chinese language in the original film, and would probably have just hacked directly into the Pentagon and Kremlin.