TRON: Legacy - Review and Grading

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Neroon, Dec 16, 2010.

?

Your rating on "TRON: Legacy" ?

1. Excellent! It should be permanently installed!

63 vote(s)
    32.3%
  2. Good - could use an upgrade or two but overall stable and inventive

89 vote(s)
    45.6%
  3. Average - Hold its oen with Tron 1982.

29 vote(s)
    14.9%
  4. Poor - nice to look at but I then it abends all over the place

12 vote(s)
    6.2%
  5. Should be immediately de-resed!!!

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  1. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Tron: End Program?

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ That'd work if the third was gonna be the last film.

3. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Tron: End of Line

4. Admiral_Young

^ I actually like that better than End Program.

5. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Tron: Abort, Retry, Fail

Tron: BSOD.

6. Admiral_Young

Tron: CTRL-Alt-Delete?

7. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

I'll add my vote for this one

8. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

9. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

10. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Tronity

The White User Rises

Tron: Man of Carbon

3 Tron 3 Furious

Tron: At Server's End

Sam Flynn in Tronmember

But, of course, they might want to go artsy instead, so...

Quorra of Solace

11. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

I have dibs on "End of Line," Programs... I will quote myself from page 6 of this thread. :p

That said, it's a big pool so there's plenty of room for all! :)

Gaith, I'm loving 3 Tron 3 Furious! +1

12. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Flynn: Tron Part 3. Then the next one will be called Flynn 4.

X-Men Origins: Tron.

Live Tron or Die Hard

13. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

The Grid: Reloaded

14. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

This one :techman:

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Tron III: The Search for Flynn

16. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I'm watching my BD of Tron right now; watched the original last night. I'm just at in the post-1989 recap part and just wanted to comment on the use of CGI for a younger Flynn/Bridges. I thought the CGI was actually pretty good for making a younger-looking bridges. But I think the voice could have used some work.

In the original Tron Bridges' voice was soften and I think he had an almost "British-sound" twinge to his voice, flirting with Cockney. In the sequel? Young Flynn sounds like present day Bridges whose voice as been roughed with 30 years of cigars and White Russians. ;)

Garrett Hedlund also looks, acts, and sounds a lot like a young Bridges as well.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  17. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I guess this thread isn't too antique for a bump. I liked it but only "average."

Pro's
    Likable actors in the main roles.

I liked the look of the virual world.

There isn't currently a sci fi franchise based in a virtual world that I can think of. If TRON: Legacy didn't flop too hard in the BO, maybe we can look forward to a sequel (with better focus; see below).

Con's
    Too many ideas bopping around. The script needed someone to decide what the story was about and just focus on it. Is this about a punk growing up and learning to run a corporation so that it can give away software for free and stop being evil? Is it about a son rescuing his father? About saving Earth from evil computer programs? About the ability of sentient AI's to prove their worth through self-sacrifice? About the wonder of creating sentient AI's to begin with?

I would have opted for the last one - screw the idea of giving away free software, Sam should run Encom like the most money-grubbing evil corporation ever, to extract maximum profits and rebuild the virtual world in the hopes that the ISOs would re-emerge. Even if they don't, that was a cool virtual world. Isn't that a lot more significant than giving software away for free in the RL? People will just fritter it away by using it to goof around on places like this. :D

And having Tron as a character in the movie simply resulted in there being too many characters. Quorra was obviously filling the Tron role this time around. (I would have preferred "Tron" to refer to the entire virtual world - Flynn's tribute to his friend.)

Too much filler. What was the point of having Quorra be wrong about Zuse? That entire sequence existed just to pad things out. There was no point to Gem either, other than disposable eye candy, which she could have been without needing a name or a role in the story.

And speaking of Zuse, and Jarvis, and Gem, what makes the "programs" less sentient than the ISOs? They show a human-like range of personality types. So are they emergent AI's just like the ISOs? Why aren't they just as valuable, other than that they're following CLU, but it's not like they know any other way. They all get blown up in the end, like it's okay. Why wasn't that genocide, too?

Someone needed to give Michael Sheen some a valium or somehorse tranquilizers because he was waaaay the fuck over the top, very distracting. It's nice when an actor has fun but not at the expense of the movie. Then it just looks like self-indulgence and ego.

This may be addressed upthread, but how wise is it to use the disk on which everything about you is stored for a weapon. Shouldn't the disk be inside the programs, where it will be the most protected?

18. Admiral_Young

A sequel is pending a green light from Disney right now. Since Joseph Koskinski is currently developing "Oblivion" for Universal "Tron 3" is probably a couple years away. You should watch the short film "Flynn Lives" that was part of the viral marketing for the franchise. It touches upon story threads they want to explore in the third film. I think someone posted it earlier in the thread if you want to rummage around Temis. :)

19. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've never seen the original Tron but the idea of virtual worlds and sentient AI's is familiar enough that I didn't feel at all lost. I do like the look, idea and characters, but they need more focus next time. They should forget about RL, and focus on the virtual world. It's an incredible place that Sam has inherited.

Tron the character should become some sort of living nexus out of which a new VR world grows (since it was implied he fell into the water but didn't die) without Sam knowing about it, until he gets a message or just gets curious again. Then the VR world would be Tron. That would justify using the name indefinitely without worrying who plays the character or even if he is a character per se (they'd need Boxleitner's voice anyway).

Is this the trailer here? Eh, too much focus on the real world. I don't want to see some dippy pseudo-political BS, I want to see the cool virtual world! This isn't about "reaching people," it isn't about people at all. It's about a virtual world capable of generating a new life form!

They're ignoring the coolest part of the story and doing something that reminds me way too much of the V TV series that just deservedly got the axe. :rommie: I really don't give a flip about Kevin Flynn or if Encom is an evil corporation or a nice one or whatever. This is Sam's story now, they need to move on.

But maybe I shouldn't be so hard on them. It would be easier for Disney (!!!) to go the safe apolitical route. I'm a bit impressed that they're jumping into tricky waters when they could just focus on the VR world and cool looking action sequences.

20. Admiral_Young

Yeah that's the trailer. I think the end of "Flynn Lives" makes it very clear that they are planning to focus on Sam in the next movie. As I mentioned in previous posts here, he's the real "Legacy" that the title refers to. The real world stuff is a means of building up Kevin Flynn's near mythological status in both the real world and inside the Grid. Does it work? Probably not. Mixing science fiction with politics can be a tricky thing, especially when it doesn't come across very well. I happen to like that stuff. I will agree with most of the things you pointed out as being "cons" in the film. The script was definitely the weakest flaw in the film and that's probably because they had about a dozen re-writes. The original script "Tron 2.0" was completely different from the story that we saw on the screen. I hope they're able to iron out the problems from the sequel and concentrate on more streamlined and focused ideas.