Trek romances - the good, the bad, and the boring?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by DevilEyes, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ugly would be all right. Klingons are "ugly" from my parochial standpoint, but that's cool. The problem with Neelix is that he is goofy. On Talax, evolution produced a species of total dorks.

2. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

I just watched it too, on HRT. Where did you watch it? Weird :lol:

3. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

On HRT, too.

4. Vulcan Princess

Vulcan Princess Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In Warlord, Kes dumped Neelix, but she was possessed by Tierran at the time. I guess when she was herself again, the dumping stuck.

5. Mirror_Barclay

Mirror_Barclay Commander Red Shirt

The whole Tierran thing was a massive ruse by Kes, to dump Neelix without crushing him (by having him think it was really an undead warlord who didn't like him).

6. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I hadn't thought of that. Maybe Tierran, by dumping Neelix, just did what Kes wanted to do all along but couldn't bring herself to do, so when she was herself again she realized she felt much better without Neelix. :bolian:

7. Cafcow

Cafcow Ensign Red Shirt

Hope you don't mind me jumping in here. ]:3

These are just some of my favorites.
    The good:
    TOS
    Kirk/Miramanee
    Kirk/Keeler (Miramanee I prefer more, but I did enjoy Keeler with him too)
    McCoy/Natira
    Sarek/Amanda
    TNG
    Picard/Crusher
    Picard/Vash
    Picard/Kamala
    Picard/Nella Daren
    Riker/Tori
    Geord/Leah Brahms
    Worf/K'Ehleyr
    VOY
    Tom/B'elanna
    ENT
    Trip/T'pol
    NuTrek
    Sarek/Amanda
    Spock/Uhura
    Kirk/Gaila (Yeah, I know she's Kirk's "love of the week" and she'll probably never be seen or heard of again, but some fans of them have made me a fan. (so long as it's treated sweetly and not trashy))

The bad:
    TOS
    Kirk/most of his "love of the week" girls
    TNG
    Worf/Troi
    Sarek/Perrin (they just didn't have the chemistry that Mark Lenard and Jane Wyatt did. Plus I didn't like her attitude)
    VOY
    Neelix/Kes
    Chakotay/Seven

The boring:
    Any ones that I found bad I found boring...

I haven't watched DS9 yet, so I can't give any couples there. D:[
    I'm going to rent it once I finish Enterprise though! So I'll update this later. ]:3

8. Cuhl

Cuhl Captain Captain

Maybe that served some valid evolutionary purpose. Maybe Talaxian predators were embarrassed to be seen preying on total dorks.

9. Joshua Howard

Joshua Howard Captain Captain

Miles and Keiko O'Brien's relationship is overlooked, but well worth noting. It is decently played by nice characters who get married and have a child. It stands out because it adds an atmosphere of normalcy to life aboard the starship; showing normal people that have a normal relationship and a normal life.

Relationships that last for one episode, or get strung along for a while before being torn apart are not really a whole lot of fun in the bigger scope of things. TV shows have a way of doing that too much. The characters can't be married and still play their roles properly, but the writers want them to have romance in their lives; so typically it almost winds up going without saying that a relationship is going to end in breakup the moment that it begins. That tends to leave an oh-so-small sour taste in my mouth.

In any case, the O'Brians are not by any means as high profile as Riker and Troi; and the documented execution of their first rate wedding and long history together make them hold the #1 spot in my book.

Bad and boring; Dianna and Beverly's fly by night romances are not bad (no Star Trek is bad), but certainly not heaven-blessed, particularly when considering that their temporary lovers have a tendency to wind up being criminals or threats of some form.

10. Rush Limborg

Rush Limborg Vice Admiral Admiral

YES! Now I remember a romance I found unimpressive.

Yup--Perrin I saw as insanely overprotective--to the point where she dissed Spock just because he had a public difference of opinion with Sarek!

Look, if Sarek was cool with it ("Spock is an adult, Perrin--and is therefore, entitled to his opinion"), she should at least respect that. But no....

11. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, it explains homo sapiens discopresul.

I liked Perrin okay. She was having a bad time of it, and had for years, which I think has to be taken into account.