Trek guest actors in maybe surprising roles

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Maurice, Mar 12, 2013.

1. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As a fan of Gil Kane's art in Marvel comics and his fascination with the hero's calf muscles I sure didn't know he was SO tall! :lol:
    JB

2. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

And a lot of his angles on character's faces seem to be looking up their nostrils, so that always made me think he was a shorty. :lol:

The Old Mixer likes this.
  3. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Whit Bissell in The Caine Mutiny:

4. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One of the most common, one of the least common in The Virginian, "Dead-Eye Dick," 1966.

William Schallert,
    virginian_schallert.png

and Alice Rawlings.
    virginian_rawlings.png

5. Forbin

I managed to get all the way thru "Ski Party" over the last few days. :lol:
    Here's Dwayne Hickman, Frankie Avalon, Deborah Wally, and the divine Yvonne Craig singing in a sleigh.

[​IMG]

It takes an hour and thirty one minutes to dispense with the Some Like it Hot plot in the ski lodge and get them back to the beach, so Yvonne can get into something more comfortable.
    [​IMG]

It had a few giggles, some fun 4th-wall breaking, and the Colorado scenery was beautiful. And hey, 60s chicks in their underwear in a ski lodge. Annette only had a small cameo in the beginning for some reason.

6. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

Searching for some ST photos, I came across a couple of cool pictures of Gary Lockwood with some other ST guest stars.

First, with "Who Mourns For Adonais?" guest star Leslie Parrish in either 1961's TV series Follow the Sun (S.1 Ep.6: "Bushman's Holiday"), where Lockwood's character rescues her from a mob hitman; or from a 1964 episode of the Gene Roddenberry created vehicle for Gary Lockwood, The Lieutenant (S.1 Ep.26: "Operation-Actress") where Parrish plays an actress who runs afoul of her studio's morals clause when she's caught during a raid on a wild party with young Marines.

[​IMG]
    (EDIT: I just noticed that Lockwood's Wikipedia page features a reversed crop of this picture, identifying it as from 1962. They don't say what it's from, though.)

Next, the long awaited meeting of Gary Mitchell and Gary Seven, as Gary Lockwood guest stars on three episodes of Robert Lansing's series 12 O'Clock High circa 1964-65:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    J.T.B. likes this.
  7. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

And...the Godfather of Soul!

FWIW, his third appearance (as a second character) is during Season 2, by which point Paul Burke is the lead (though Frank Overton is still a regular).

8. Forbin

Yes, he and his backup group arrive with three St. Bernards, each with a different kind of booze labeled on its cask, drop off a character they rescued, sing I Feel Fine, and vanish. :lol: At the beginning of the film, Lesley Gore happens to be on the bus heading for the ski resort, sings Sunshine Lollipops & Rainbows (by Marvin Hamlisch!), and vanishes. :lol: I guess I had a higher tolerance for these movies when I was 13 - they're a tough watch at my age now!

9. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

"I Got You (I Feel Good)".

"I Feel Fine":

JonnyQuest037, Forbin and Nerys Myk like this.
  10. DarrenTR1970

DarrenTR1970 Commodore Commodore

I'm re-reading my book 'Book Of The Dead - The Complete History of Zombie Cinema' and I'm paging through the zombie filmography in the back of the book and there's an entry for a 1973 movie called 'Messiah of Evil' and under the cast list is Marianna Hill. It looks like the DVD is out-of-print, but there's a version of it uploaded to YouTube. I might watch it to see what it's like. Edit to add: I just watched the trailer and there's Elisha Cook Jr. as a bum.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  11. Henoch

Henoch Glowing Globe Premium Member

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  12. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sally Kellerman as the voice of a killer robot bird in "Masters of Science Fiction."

Kor

13. Forbin

Yes, that one. :D

14. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks. I've never seen the show, so I was just passing along the info that was with the photo.

15. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Jay Robinson in Hal Ashby's Shampoo, 1975:
    shampoo_robinson.png

Also a brief appearance by Joan Marshall, Ashby's ex-wife. It has been said that parts of the story were based on some of her experiences in Hollywood. She has a credit but no lines, so her part may have been cut.
    shampoo_marshall.png

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
  16. Forbin

Watching F-Troop again over breakfast, and got up to From Karate With Love. Miko Mayama plays a Japanese girl on the run from an arranged marriage back home, with Samurai Mako chasing her. Miko and Mako!
    [​IMG]

17. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Larry Storch and Forrest Tucker. I remember them best from the Saturday morning live-action Ghostbusters show. One wonders what kind of characters they would have ended up playing on Star Trek.

18. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Mako was never in Star Trek, but his younger sister Momo Yashima was in ST:TMP.

19. Henoch

Henoch Glowing Globe Premium Member

Tucker was known for playing the "heavy" or bad guy in many westerns, even against the Duke. I can see Storch as his greasy henchman.

20. Forbin

Miko, Mako and Momo! The groovy featured band on tonight's episode of American Bandstand!