Trek 4 to bring together Chris Pine & Hemsworth?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Khan 2.0, Jul 16, 2016.

1. eyeresist

eyeresist Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yep. People have compared BEY to TSFS as the third entry in the series, but perhaps a more accurate reference would be INS? :devil:
    The "franchise"? CBS is working on the series; Paramount is twiddling its thumbs. If the show makes some noise, they should be ready with a movie in order to capitalise on it.

2. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

Oof! Below the belt! (however ever since the trailer been getting that INS vibe from STB. that is not a vibe you want from a ST movie)

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

If what Abrams said was true, they started writing the fourth movie before the third was even released. That's 2-3 years faster than the writing process for any of the other two sequels.

4. eyeresist

I don't know if any "writing" has been mentioned. I had the feeling Kirk's Dad was just an idea they had talked about.

5. F. King Daniel

6. eyeresist

"Being written right now" - I just don't buy it.

7. F. King Daniel

Who knows? I suspected they might be retooling the unmade Orci/Payne/McKay ST3 script to feature Chris Hemsworth in place of William Shatner, but I've never paid close enough attention to other franchise sequel announcements to know for sure where the truth lies. The press release from Paramount says McKay and Payne "will write the screenplay" (Link)

They must have Hemsworth under some kind of contract.

8. Khan 2.0

Using Hemsworth and Shatner would be a good bet for a return to Into Darkness box office

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
  9. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

People are comparing STB to TSFS and INS, huh? That... does not make very much sense.

Ovation likes this.
  10. wayoung

wayoung Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

TSFS is pretty fair for comparison. It made $40 mil more than Beyond did domestically and has a similar rotten tomatoes score. Insurrection not so much.
    I disagree. I don't think they would have any impact. Paramount doesn't care about the hardcore Trekkie. They don't make a movie break $500 mil. The only people Shatner appeals to are those hardcore Trekkies. Anyone interested in seeing a Star Trek movie for Shatner is already going to see Star Trek anyway.

Hemsworth has never successfully carried a movie as the lead outside of Thor, which are successful due to being Marvel movies, not being Chris Hemsworth movies. He's a Marvel Star, not a Movie Star. His Box Office Mojo page is packed with horrendous flops. He might make it easier for young guys (general statement as it's pretty obvious that's the Kelvinverse's target audience, not to say there aren't female Trek fans) to convince their girlfriends to go see the movie with them, but that's about it.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/people/chart/?id=chrishemsworth.htm

eyeresist likes this.
  11. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Quite the contrary, having both movies and TV show simultaneously has rarely worked. Shatner accused TNG being on the air as the reason TFF flopped and it was a popular theory for why most of the TNG movies underperformed.

Granted, all those movies had their own problems and probably wouldn't have done much better even if there were no Trek TV shows on the air, but consider, out of the six movies which were released while Trek had a TV presence (TFF, TUC, GEN, FC, INS, NEM) only two weren't failures (TUC, FC).

12. Khan 2.0

I remember reading Cinefantastique around the time of VI with Harve Bennett saying TNG was now effecting anticipation for the original cast films and that since the fans now had the option of new trek every week it had taken the sheen of the movies, likening it to turkey at Christmas.. every couple of years fans get a new 'turkey' of a movie and then have turkey leftovers inbetween in the form of old episode reruns/previous movies but now had 'fresh turkey sandwiches' every week with TNG so the original crew movies/'thanksgiving turkey' were less on event. (and now I've gone and made myself all hungry for some fresh hot turkey sandwiches.damn)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
  13. Malaika

Malaika Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

But Paramount didn't like their original script for trek3, though they apparently took some elements from it for star trek beyond (Pegg&co didn't read the script but the producers did)

Am I the only one who remembers Orci saying they had A SECOND STORY for trek3 beside the first one they rejected?? I think it's more likely that's the one that paramount&co liked and wants to use for another movie, but with modifications. Also, in that case the writers would still need to write the script because of that story they maybe only had the concept

14. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Any hope of profiting from Shatner's return to Trek expired with ST'09. With Nimoy having appeared in all three movies (albeit just a picture in Beyond), the idea of rehashing prime universe folk is just tired at this point.

Additionally, it wouldn't be like seeing the Big Three in The Force Awakens, who at least bore some resemblance to their original characters. At 85, Shatner barely even looks like Shatner anymore, let alone would I believe he's Kirk!

15. wayoung

wayoung Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've got to disagree with this. I've seen Shatner up close three times in the last year and the man must have the best plastic surgeon in Hollywood. He looks fantastic for 85, and just looking at him I'd peg him a good 20 years younger. Even his weight looks down from where it was five years ago during Shit My Dad Days.

I'd say he looks a lot more "Kirk like" than Nimoy looked "Spock like" in the Kelvinverse films. Of course Nimoy was fighting a serious medical condition and we don't know of Shatner currently enduring any.

He may not be an immortal, harvesting quickenings to grow in strength and power like Patrick Stewart, Paul Rudd, and Keanu Reeves, but he's ageing well.

That said, I don't think he should be in any Kelvinverse movies:)

Khan 2.0 likes this.
  16. Khan 2.0

Before Beyond id agree it was looking that way..but now.. the box office performance might change that..you never know

Shatner is 85 but look closer to a man in his 70s so could get away with a final big screen appearance (like the way Ford is getting away with revisiting his hits as he still looks good)

17. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Harrison Ford is the only one instantly recognizable at a glance. Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher definitely don't look at all like they did in the 70s and early 80s.

18. jamestyler

jamestyler Commodore Commodore

"This isn't True Star Trek until we get Shatner on screen! Hire Bill or I'm boycotting!"
    "Oh my Gods, they got Shatner - how desperate are they?! Boycotting this shit show!"

^ Thats how the 'hardcore trekkie' as we know it will react. Paramount - or any production company, writer, artist etc - should listen to a type of fan who feels they know so much better and with complain regardless of what they see.

DaddlerTheDalek and urbandefault like this.
  19. Shalashaska

Shalashaska Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I would give *insert body part here* to see Denis Villeneuve direct the next film. He's shown he can do dark and gritty in Prisoners and Sicario, and the reviews for Arrival show he can also do optimistic cerebral science-fiction.

If Star Wars can get Rian Johnson, why can't we get Villeneuve? He'd certainly be a step up over action directors like Abrams and Lin, with all due respect to those two.

20. Khan 2.0

Isn't he doing Blade Runner now? After that..who knows..