Trek’s biggest missed opportunities

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by YetAnotherSubspaceAnomaly, Jan 14, 2022.

1. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

Thing I remember most was Troi's statement that she and the colony leader had "had a relationship". Just seems like an overly dry euphamism...

The first Trek movie and the first TNG one seem to have both been very meh. Then came the second, and things caught fire in a big way.

Unfortunately, IX and X couldn't replicate the continued brilliance of III and IV.

Vger23 likes this.
  2. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, she wasn't going to tell her captain "we repeatedly went to bonetown". That's the kind of talk she reserves for Riker and Crusher.

Commander Troi likes this.
  3. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

"Bonetown"?

:lol:

4. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Maquis." No "r".

5. Richard S. Ta

Richard S. Ta Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Edited seeing as it bothered you.

Forbin likes this.
  6. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Commodore Commodore

For me one of tbe biggest opportunities missed in Trek could have been resolved with a five second addition.
    I wanted to see the gloating Khan see the Enterprise go to warp just before the Genesis explosion.
    The expression on his face as he realized Kirk had once more escaped his wrath would have been priceless.

Second on my list would to have seen the Enterprise D's main shuttlebay. For many years we had to put up with that low budget garage with a door which didn't conform the hull. They could have set aside a few bucks to let us see it in 'Generations', that restricted glimpse in 'Cause and Effect' doesn't count.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2022
  7. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

That certainly would have made for a more interesting show...

8. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't know, there's a few I wouldn't really classify as "fun."

Orphalesion and Nerys Myk like this.
  9. FederationHistorian

FederationHistorian Commodore Commodore

TOS: Number One not being a part of the main cast. It would change the dynamics of the show, and there might not be a Nurse Chapel.

TNG: “Parallels” not being a Tasha Yar episode. It’s a good episode on its own, and Worf is a favourite character of mine, but seeing the alternate universes where Yar did not die and is still alive seven years later would be very interesting.

DS9: Sisko vs Dukat in the finale not being like the showdown after the Reckoning tablet was destroyed.

VOY: a) Janeway not interacting with Admiral Nechayev. TNG, DS9 and VOY shared several things - Klingons, Borg, Maquis, Q, even a member of the crew being a Klingon. But Janeway never had a face to face with Nechayev like Picard and Sisko did. Even if it had been a flashback scene, it would have been interesting to see.

b) No DS9/VOY crossover episode.

ENT: “Home” not being a two parter. They could have gone much further with the premise to flesh out the characters, buildup the world a little better, foreshadow future events, reset the show closer to its premise, and give better closure to the Xindi arc all at once:

- See Archer adapting to his new found fame in public, away from rock climbing. Being unable to visit his favourite restaurant or tour a space museum without being swarmed by new fans and media alike.

- See the debate over the E2 upgrades and how Starfleet needs time to evaluate them, as well as how belief in time travel is not widely believed at this point in time and in line with the viewpoint of Vulcans. Have the crew complain that the photonic torpedoes look like coffins – as a reference to Sim - and they want the old spatial torpedoes back. Acknowldge that the E2 phase cannons will be used to upgrade the mining lasers (and be a hint to what becomes the lasers used in The Cage) and the warp engine will be examining to see if they can refit the NX class to warp 7 or if they need to make a new class of ships.

- See a debate of keeping the MACOs around and who will replace Hayes and if Reed even wants to switch departments in light of new found respect for Hayes. Could be how they introduce a gay character or Muslim character into the series to take over from Hayes. And let Reed do Reed things and find that the phase pistols are jamming up more often in the firing range and request upgraded EM pistols with a stun setting, as a throwback to the Broken Bow aesthetic.

- Trip returns home from Vulcan and shows his interest in transferring to Columbia then, rather than waiting halfway through the season to announce it out of the blue.

- After Phlox’s encounter with the xenophobes, the opportunity was ripe to visit Denobula, at least from orbit. Have Sato and Mayweather join him, and let Mayweather mull about returning to the Horizon after being passed over for a promotion over other members of the crew on the journey there. Let there be a debate over it between Sato and Mayweather and tie it into how Earth solved its problems i.e. personal ambition vs all position are treated with equity.

- See the crew psychologically assessed upon their return from the Expanse. See it be recommend that they stay close to Earth and Vulcan for the next year.

- Mention the planned rescue of the Illyrians and the Skagarans in the Expanse, with either the Vulcans or Columbia being the ones to follow up on them.

- Acknowledgement of the development of Xindi memorials. Have the crew attend one.

Short Treks: Not being more of an anthology series.

Henoch and Oddish like this.
  10. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The next town over from "Poundtown" :lol:

11. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, it's a completely different word with a completely different meaning with an R in it, and we've literally had 30 years to learn how to spell it right, so... :)

12. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's not like we ever see it written out on the show and Marquis and Maquis sound the same when spoken by those actors.

Really unless somebody has looked into French resistance during World War II, it's not particularly likely that they know that they were called Maquis without the r, or the word's original meaning (which is probably as obscure to non-Francophone, or even some Francophone people, as 'heath' or 'fell' is to many people) .

Last edited: Jan 23, 2022
    Richard S. Ta and oberth like this.
  13. 1001001

That's not helpful or necessary.

We all knew what he meant.

oberth and Richard S. Ta like this.
  14. Richard S. Ta

You've had 30 years. You don't know me and you've no idea how long I've been into the show.

The post in question had content and it might have been far more conducive to discussion to respond to that rather than engage in dull pedantry.

If it pleases you though then you win the internet today. Congrats. I consider myself educated. Can we move on? It's really not very interesting.

15. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

Let's.

I was recently surfing Memory Alpha, and found something interesting. In addition to Voyager having an engineering officer who probably should have outranked B'Elanna, it had an operations officer who should have outranked Harry, who was killed by the Vidiians in "Faces".

So, my previous suggestion (I won't bore you by reiterating it; it's on page 3 of this topic) could actually have been carried out without having to invent a deceased or marooned character... simply have Durst be head of operations, and Harry his trainee/second in command. Then, Durst is killed and Harry (a "Lower Decks" type until now) finds himself in the difficult position of having to do the job instead of learn it.

16. 1001001

That is not helpful or necessary either. I had already addressed it.

And yes, moving on…

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  17. Richard S. Ta

Noted and apologies.

Oddish and oberth like this.
  18. maneth

maneth Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

ENT should've had more than 4 seasons, they canceled it just as it was getting into its stride.
    VGR suffered from inconsistent writing and an all too frequent use of the big red reset button. Dramatic events should have consequences, especially when you're 70 years from your home base.

oberth likes this.
  19. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

I think in hindsight that killing off Li Nalas was a mistake. If nothing else, he gave us a look into Bajor's political situation, and the provisional government. With him gone an no one replacing him, we never really see Bajor claw it's way out of the turmoil it was in early on.

Having Shakaar disappear as suddenly as he did, same thing.

Commander Troi and Farscape One like this.
  20. oberth

oberth Commodore Commodore

how could he live without becoming bajor's leader and ending most of their problems once and for all after a certain first minister had been exposed? allowing him to survive kills the bajoran line of storytelling as they just will do what he tells them. the moment they (the writers that is) started his hagiography the painted a fat bullseye on his forehead.

Commander Troi and Richard S. Ta like this.