Travelers Season Two Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Tom, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Talk about Travelers season two here!

I see people were talking about season 2 in the season 1 thread so best to make a new thread. :)

2. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

I watched the first 2 episodes, so far so good. it was predictable they would get out of trouble with the FBI by having new travelers come in to replace the FBI agents, they have done this a couple times in season 1. Nice to see continuum and Stargate actors, like Steve Lobo, Amanda Tapping and Teryl Rothley . Interesting story with traveler 001, I am guessing he is torturing travelers to get intel on the future to see if the are still hunting him? What is going on with these time share people, a rouge faction from the future taking them over?

3. Q2UnME

Q2UnME Commodore Commodore

So when does season 2 drop on Netflix? I think I saw a mention in the other thread of December 23, 2017? Is that still true?

I really enjoyed season 1 on Netflix and was wondering how Eric McCormick was gonna juggle this and Will & Grace. I guess he filmed Travelers in the summer before hopping over to W&G?

Q2

4. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

'17 Minutes' was an interesting Episode. It was neat how they kept trying to bringing in Traveler one after another to the Skydiver woman seconds apart from each other, to save the team. Once the truck driver 'died' in the previous timeline they were able to put a traveler in him.

5. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So ... do you think there were any fish in that pond?

[​IMG]

6. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Depends on the timeline! LOL

7. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was just amused to see that location again in this week's Travelers. Not surprising, given that Amanda Tapping was directing; I wonder if it was a deliberate Easter egg for SG1 fans.

8. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Just saw the season finale of Travelers. It was pretty good and a good cliffhanger and a pretty good season overall. Hopefully when Season 2 premieres on Netflix on December 26th there will be a little more talk about it.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  9. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Wasn't aware that season 3 had been green lit. On one of the entertainment shows last night they had a bit with Eric McCommack directing the S2 finale and said there was no news yet on a renewal for a 3rd season.

10. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Oops, my mistake, I meant season 2, i fixed it . I hope there is a season 3. With Eric McCormick also filming 'Will and Grace' I was not sure if he had the time to do both shows. Of course the show could go on without him. If Vincent can move his consciousness into the therapists body, then 3468 can move of McClarens host to an new body as a possibility.

11. Marc

With Travelers only doing a 12 ep season and it's not a network series so it doesn't have to fit the rating seasons etc he might be able to work both.

Also Will & Grace might have a shorter shooting schedule because ti's a half hour show (believe the general wisdom is 1 day per 5mins of air time for shoot)

12. Ridcully

Ridcully Commodore Commodore

Saw all of it....so not going to watch season 3....what an utter dissapointment!

13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Pretty good, but there are some unanswered questions. The premise is supposed to be that putting a Traveler consciousness into an adult brain that isn't about to die anyway will kill the host in moments. (Although I'm not sure how that's supposed to work, since it's often used on people who are perfectly healthy at the moment and scheduled to die in several minutes due to some sudden violent event.) So how was the Faction able to take over so many healthy adults, like the timeshare customers and the partygoers? And how was Ingram able to do what he did in the season finale?

Anyway, they went in an unexpected direction in the finale.
    I'm not a fan of the cliched genre formula of characters with some extraordinary attribute (aliens/time travelers/mutants/zombies/etc.) trying to hide their identity from the world and from their loved ones. For one thing, I don't like seeing protagonists lie to their friends and family all the time, and for another, I think it squanders the potential of an SF/fantasy premise to keep it hidden from the everyday world so that it doesn't affect society. The real potential of SF is exploring the transformative impact of new discoveries or technologies on human society. So I like it when a show like this drops the secrecy angle, or avoids it altogether like The 4400 did.

Indeed, as this season went on, and the Travelers were dealing with the joint problems of stopping the Faction and heading off the government's suspicions toward them, I found myself thinking they should just go public, or at least reveal themselves to the government and make it clear that they were working to save the future. Certainly that would've let them shape the narrative better, instead of letting Ingram twist the truth to make them seem more malevolent than they are.

Anyway, going from complete secrecy to complete exposure all at once, having everyone learn the Travelers' true identities simultaneously, is a really massive reset for the series, and it's hard to imagine where they'll go next.

14. Marc

So what was so disappointing about it?

15. ThunderAeroI

ThunderAeroI Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This was partly answered by telling the guy organizing the time shares to check his vans breaks.

16. Christopher

Yeah, Mac assumed that the people who were taken must have been doomed to die, because that's the way it usually works, but he didn't know it for a fact. And we saw at the end that this wasn't the only group of real-estate pitch recipients that this was being done to.

17. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The new reveal this year @Christopher is that the Director has at least one Asimov which is stopping it from directly taking a human life. It will not kill anyone who is destined to have a hearty life, because murder is morally wrong.

Killing those who should be dead, is a neat loophole for the director to send back travellers or remove pieces from the board.

Faction, doesn't have Asmiovs, but sometimes they have to play by the Directors rules to borrow the directors toys, when the Director is not looking.

18. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes the bad guys like the Faction and Vincent do not care if the person is a about to die or not. It is just a rule of the director it seems. Still, i think we have seen the director override this in the Helios episode from season 1 when he kept putting traveler in the men that were trying to stop the Helios mission from being completed

19. Christopher

No, it's not an arbitrary rule. As I said, the show has established that if an adult who isn't about to die has a Traveler or Messenger downloaded into their brain, it kills them within moments. We saw that happen multiple times throughout the season, like when the team was about to diverge from the Director's plan and a Messenger was downloaded into an adult to warn them to stop, causing that woman to drop dead a moment later. (Which is also what happened in the Helios example you mentioned.) Or when the Faction was attacking the team in the farmhouse and they blew up the jamming device so that the Director could download into the attackers and kill them all. We also saw it in the episode where Grace/0027 was put on trial. In the climax, the Director spoke to her directly by sequentially downloading itself into multiple terminal hospital patients who died within moments. (Presumably they weren't about to die imminently, or else it would've worked like a normal Traveler download. They may have still had a few days or weeks.)

So this isn't a matter of policy. It's one of the physical rules of the process, that a download will kill an adult unless they were going to die anyway. Thus, it shouldn't be physically possible to change that.

Perhaps the difference is that the Faction consciousnesses were downloaded into the quantum frame in 2017 first, and then uploaded into people's brains. Maybe without the time travel component involved, the transfer isn't fatal. Which could also explain what Ingram did in the finale.

20. Ridcully

Ridcully Commodore Commodore

After an intriguing first season, they went with sloppy writing and some extremely tired cliche filled plots....
    The whole thing just slided down into a mudhole of oblivion!
    And then that "cliffhanger"....
    Well enough of that....I am just dissapointed...had hoped it would have taken a more interesting route.