Transwarp

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Vulcan Logician, Jun 13, 2013.

1. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

HERE is an in-depth look at the technicalities of transwarp drive by a rather fanatical fan.

2. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Commodore Commodore

One description I heard for how Transwarp worked when ST3 was first released was that the ship would capture the warp field in a transporter field and beam it ahead of the ship.
    Not too sure how practical that would be, but at least it gives the name some meaning instead of just a catch-all name for 'go faster than real fast'

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well that would mean that ship had no weight or shape.

Which would make flinging it through space easier.

They described slip stream travel like that in Andromeda, how everyone only thinks that they still solid flesh and blood people in flight when they're really condensed to the size atoms retaining no shape while existing in a unreal universe.

4. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Dr. McCoy would not like that.

5. Vulcan Logician

Vulcan Logician Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yes, really. As I remember, the holodeck cut out on him when he was about to get his vulcan mojo on with his "holo-wife" as well. I am like 8 episodes away from the Pon Farr Tuvok episode in my re-watch of VOY (I think). But, as I remember, he had a tough time of it.
    Additional thought: The doctor ought to have put in the holo-program a "fight to the death" vulcan adversary for Tuvok too, so he would have got the full "Pon Farr experience."

6. teacake

The full "pon farr experience" just shows you how tradition and culture makes idiots out of even the most logical race. I'm sure they have perfectly safe chemical ways to bypass all the Kill Sex of DIE programming but they don't want to. Like how Joan of Arcs would not take the meds when offered.

7. Vulcan Logician

Vulcan Logician Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

So sad, but true Teacake.

8. teacake

I know, I said "Joan these meds were created from God's own nature with the brains God gave us" but she was all like OH BELOVED TEACAKE DO NOT DISSUADE ME FROM MY HIGH CALLING!!

Sometimes you just have to let people make their own mistakes.