Transparent Displays

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by Indysolo, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Indysolo

Indysolo Commodore Commodore

How do people in the future concentrate on what they're watching? Virtually every display on this show is see-through. Even when they're watching TV, we can see through it. This seems like a step back in technology for them and us. Since they have holodecks that can project solid objects, why would they go back to a display that is transparent? Our current TVs don't have this handicap and I don't see it becoming a feature at some point. Could you imagine a modern TV advertising "8k HDR oh, and you can also see through the thing you're trying to watch"? Who would want that?

The same goes for their computer displays. Why would they want things to be see-through? Do they want the distraction? I guess it seems futuristic to someone, (look it's projected in mid-air!) but from an actual user interface, this seems like a massive step back from where we currently are, let alone 400 years in the future.

Kahlesh, Jadeb, jackoverfull and 8 others like this.
  2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I imagine staring at floating text and translucent graphics would be headache inducing.

But as you say, it looks futuristic and allows for lots of cool camera shots too.

Qonundrum, Jedi_Master and SolarisOne like this.
  3. urbandk

urbandk Commodore Commodore

I imagine the degree of translucency can be adjusted such that the projection can be totally opaque when viewed from the front but allow someone on the back to see through it.

If the viewer wishes to see what's behind the projection, the viewer can adjust this setting.

4. Tosk

Tosk Vice Admiral Admiral

A future where you can't see the display properly and your hand gets tired from holding it out in space over longer periods...what joy. ;)

5. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Writer and occasional starship commander Premium Member

Also the floating transparent screens are very generic SF... it’s in everything now, from the MCU to The Expanse to now Trek.

6. NewHeavensNewEarth

NewHeavensNewEarth Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, Google Glass flopped, so the future went the way of transparent displays, apparently. Unless you're on a Dominion ship.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  7. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think it could work. LCD screens already produce headaches so having that display can't be worse.

8. Indysolo

I have an LCD TV and the only thing that causes headaches are bad TV shows. ;)

jackoverfull, werdegast, Blip and 4 others like this.
  9. fireproof78

Yeah. Not me.

10. Ryan Thomas Riddle

And there are certainly a lot of them out there...

BillJ and Indysolo like this.
  11. Blurr13

Blurr13 Ensign Red Shirt

I'm not sure how I feel about transparent displays, but I really like how Rios's HUD followed his head around while he moved his head around in ep5.

F. King Daniel and NCC-73515 like this.
  12. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Commodore Commodore

It makes it easier to see people coming when you're watching Subspace P̶o̶r̶n̶h̶u̶b̶. News.

Blip, BillJ, Tim Thomason and 2 others like this.
  13. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

like wearing bifocals (I'm OLD now!) probably takes a couple of weeks before you get used to it

14. Indysolo

But in the case of transparent TV, who would even want that? Unless everyone in the 24th century already has partial x-ray vision (I wouldn't put it past Kurtzman and Goldsman) this sounds like a colossally bad design that no one would want, let alone get used to.

werdegast, Blip, BillJ and 1 other person like this.
  15. fireproof78

16. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Vice Admiral Admiral

I have an LG 3D-LED TV and the only things that I view on it that gives me a headache are poorly conceived and written critiques of good TV shows.
    (cause I don't bother to watch the ones I don't like)
    :whistle:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  17. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

They make transparent displays now and they are selling. (the ones on Discovery are working models) so someone wants them

DEWLine and SoM like this.
  18. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Everyone is now fitted with ocular implants... the eyePhone.

[​IMG]

19. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Might be the display is only transparent to those who aren't viewing it. Say, such as this weird "audience" apparition mysteriously hovering on the bridge for eldritch reasons.

For the actual users, the display solidifies to full opacity at the focus of their field of view. For people who'd rather see around, the thing is semi-transparent from certain angles, and disappears altogether from others. The camera just always happens to hit the sour spot, not being able to occupy the same space as the eyes of the hero-users, but not being allowed to loiter much farther back, either.

Note also that the flat display is readable from both sides simultaneously - that is, the text and images flip for you when you walk around, even when your colleague who stays put can still keep on reading. So the display isn't a sheet of glass with physical text on it (even though that's what the actual prop on stage is) - it's a virtual thing wholly dependent on the observer.

Timo Saloniemi

TedShatner10 likes this.
  20. Jadeb

Jadeb Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Fun theories in this thread. But the people I feel bad for are the actors who have to wave their hands around pretending to use nonexistent holographic controls. It's like 21st century bridge shaking, only they have to do it all the time.

I wonder if there are choreographed movements so that there's some consistency to what the actors do. Like how some Doctors in Doctor Who take how they use the Tardis console seriously, while others just flip switches.

ATimson, Blip and Qonundrum like this.