Spoilers TOS: The Antares Maelstrom by Greg Cox Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Avro Arrow, Aug 10, 2019.

?

Rate TOS: The Antares Maelstrom

1. Outstanding

15 vote(s)
    48.4%
  2. Above Average

9 vote(s)
    29.0%
  3. Average

6 vote(s)
    19.4%
  4. Below Average

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

[​IMG]

Blurb:
    An epic new Star Trek saga by New York Times bestselling author Greg Cox set during the original Five-Year Mission!

The final frontier erupts into chaos as vast quantities of a rare energy source are discovered beneath the surface of Baldur-3, a remote planet beyond the outer fringes of Federation space. Now an old-fashioned “gold rush” is underway as a flood of would-be prospectors, from countless worlds and species, races toward the planet to stake their claim. The galactic stampede threatens the stability of neighboring planets and space stations, as widespread strife and sabotage and all-around pandemonium result in a desperate need for Starfleet assistance. Captain James T. Kirk and the crew of the Starship Enterprise are dispatched to deal with the escalating crisis…which lies on the other side of a famously perilous region of space known as the Antares Maelstrom.

About the Author:
    Greg Cox is the New York Times bestselling author of numerous Star Trek novels and short stories. He has also written the official movie novelizations of War for the Planet of the Apes, Godzilla, Man of Steel, The Dark Knight Rises, Daredevil, Ghost Rider, and the first three Underworld movies, as well as books and stories based on such popular series as Alias, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, CSI, Farscape, The 4400, Leverage, The Librarians, Roswell, Terminator, Warehouse 13, Xena: Warrior Princess, and Zorro. He has received three Scribe Awards from the International Association of Media Tie-In Writers, as well as the Faust Award for Life Achievement. He lives in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. Visit him at GregCox-Author.com.

https://www.simonandschuster.com/bo...x/Star-Trek-The-Original-Series/9781982113209

It has been reported in the "2019 Releases" thread that this book is starting to become available. I checked, and a store in my area apparently does have it in stock, although I have not yet been out to get it. But either way, if it's out there, then it's time for a review thread!

The moons of Nibia had better at least get a name drop in this novel! ;)

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

And for my fellow e-book readers, that version is due out on Tuesday.

3. DarrenTR1970

DarrenTR1970 Commodore Commodore

Was at Barnes and Noble this morning, saw it on the shelf and used my birthday gift card to purchase it. I'm going to start it once I finish 'The Captain's Oath'. I will say that the one thing I find disappointing is that it looks like all future Star Trek releases are going to be in the 'oversize' format from now on. That's going to be an extra $4-6 out of my pocket from now on even with 10% off and any coupons that I might have.

Cuhl and Enterprise1701 like this.
  4. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

DEWLine likes this.
  6. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Just spotted the book at our local B&N, a few days ahead of the official pub date.

7. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe I should look in a local B&N before ordering from Amazon?

Leto_II likes this.
  8. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Wow, two new Trek novels in the same month. It takes me back to my youth. But now I'm done reading it, and it'll never happen again, until it does.

There's one particular thing I wanted to kick off talking about;
    I was kind of hoping to get more out of the station manager, George Tilton, based on one tantalizing detail, the model of the Shenzhou in his office. There have been a couple Discovery references so far in the books of prior series, but I think this is the first where it was folded into the narrative rather than being a let's-call-it "Madlibs" reference where a name or detail is slipped in where any other would've fit just as well (like Picard including Gerogiou in a list of historical explorers he'd read about as a kid).

The just-slightly underplayed mention of the model made me curious; Was Tilton involved in the war? Did he lose someone special at the Binaries? He mentions taking the job at the space station specifically because it'd be low-key. We later find out that he worked at a shipyard during the war, which was a bit less front-line than I was expecting, but I wasn't sure if it'd be elaborated on at all, just left as an implication.

Tuskin38 and Leto_II like this.
  9. Leto_II

Leto_II Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^ I wondered about this myself too.

10. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Will get to this book after I finish the Enterprise war.

11. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

Got it on audible. Really enjoying this book. The characterizations of the big three are all spot on, and I enjoyed the way a frontier world was fleshed out. Favorite easter egg:
    that model of the Shenzou.

12. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Got it pre-ordered. Should receive it by the 22nd.
    Hope it's good.

13. DEWLine

trampledamage likes this.
  14. Christopher

It's one end of the largest star-formation corridor in this neck of the galactic woods, so yeah, it's pretty active.

15. DEWLine

*looks at the Sco-Cen Association article on Wikipedia*
    Rho Ophiuchi, Pipe Nebula, Barnard 68, the Coalsack..."active" is a good word there.

16. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Completely enjoyed it. One of my vanishingly rare "Outstanding" ratings.

Interesting, actually having Landon and Palmer featured. Always nice to meet forgotten characters, and find that they're not quite so forgettable.

17. Greg Cox

I confess: Landon is in the book because Celeste Yarnall passed away while I was writing it. Seemed like a fitting way to pay my respects.

Palmer is there simply because I needed Uhura elsewhere.

18. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hmm. I wonder if "nabbia tea" has any connection thereto.

19. Christopher

What in the world is that? I can't find any hits for it on Google.

Anyway, Khan was paraphrasing Moby Dick -- in this case, Ahab's line "I'll chase him round Good Hope, and round the Horn, and round the Norway maelstrom, and round perdition's flames before I give him up!" ("He tasks me" and Khan's final "From Hell's heart..." speech are also Ahab quotes.) But it's unclear where Bennett or Meyers or Sowards or whoever got "Nibia" from. It sounds like it's meant to sound like Nubia or Libya or something like that.

For years, before I learned it was spelled "Nibia," I could swear Khan had said "the moons of Nebir." I still think that's a cooler name.

20. Greg Cox

It's an alien tea that figures in the plot. I just made up the word.

JonnyQuest037 likes this.