TOS Purists of TrekBBS - Unite!

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by TOS Purist, Jul 27, 2010.

1. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

As good as it is, Cawley's fan series doesn't count.

2. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

No, it doesn't, purely personal preference.

I would like to sneak in a few honorable mentions in the new Concordance, though. Probably won't happen, but it'd be fun (if only to see certain fans' heads explode).

3. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Cawley's movies are good, but cannot "count".

4. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

Hey, I can dream, can't I?

5. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Sure you can, why not?

6. JimZipCode

JimZipCode Commander Red Shirt

Jingle T'Bonz, thanks for the welcome 4 months ago. I didn't notice your post amid all the other arguing.

No, I wanted to love TMP, didn't manage it. It wasn't until Wrath of Kahn than I loved a Star Trek movie. Cried like a baby at the end, and in the car on the way home.

To this day there hasn't been another great Star Trek movie, and I guess now there never will be. One of the great tragedies of the ST purist is, coming to terms with how bad much of the canon is. There's a distressing number of bad TOS episodes, and the movies generally aren't great.

I still love it.

7. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Hmm... How much of a purist can I be when I haven't watched a full episode of Star Trek in about two years? :lol:

8. JimZipCode

JimZipCode Commander Red Shirt

WOW! I would love to see the writer's guide. Has any of it ever been scanned / appeared online?

If not, is there any way I can bribe you to copy it so I can see it?

9. TOS Purist

TOS Purist Commander Red Shirt

Well, I agree with you about the movies; the fact that they either suck ass or are completely contrary to TOS's spirit or continuity is a known fact.

But there's actually a LACK of bad TOS episodes; hell, even "Spock's Brain" isn't that bad if you actually watch it instead of just going by the stereotypes everyone throws around. :techman: I'm not saying that's what you do, I'm just saying that it happens a lot, even to me sometimes.

10. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

No. That's just an opinion shared by a vocal minority.
    So wait... Now you like Spock's Brain and think that TOS' weakest episodes are OK? What have you done with the real BBS???!!

11. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

VOCAL MINORITIES...UNITE!!! :lol:

12. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

You guys can't even agree on what you like anymore..

13. Utopianvista

Utopianvista Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I find the attitude of TPTB lovers to be most inflammatory.

No idea why people care if some people reject other parts of Trek. They act like they are personally insulted.

I am more insulted by Jar Jar Abrams vision of the future. Yuck! Who would want to live in that future?

14. MANT!

MANT! Vice Admiral Admiral

Very Vocal Minorities.... maybe Excessively Vocal Minorities..(EVMs?)

Matters not, like what you like..just don't demand everyone conform to what you like..and we'll all get along...

15. TOS Purist

I've...done nothing with the BBS? And I've never said that "Spock's Brain" was a bad episode. I actually don't think there is such a thing as a bad TOS episode, since even the weakest ones had redeeming qualities about them. When was the last time you watched "Spock's Brain?" It's really not that bad. :)

Sure we can. What we like is TOS. And certain episodes of TNG, but they just aren't canon. ;)

I would very much like to know the answer to that, too! Some people get ANGRY that a lone fan like me only considers TOS to be canon. My personal opinion of what is or isn't canon has absolutely no effect on Paramount's "official" canon, and my opinions have absolutely no effect on whether or not someone else can enjoy TNG or VOY. I'm just ONE fan, yet some people get angry and throw a hissy fit when they hear me simply express my personal and minority beliefs that only TOS is canon. :wtf:

Because truthfully? IT DOESN'T MATTER. :techman:

16. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Hmm... "And The Children Shall Lead" has a redeeming quality? Well...buried deep, deep, deep in it is the kernel of a reasonable story idea, but you have to dig through so much cringe inducing stuff that..oh hell! No, I'm sorry ATCSL is a bad episode. They just had a really off time that week when it was made. Everything about it stank. :lol:

17. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It comes and goes...

18. TOS Purist

Aw come on, the only reason people hate that episode is because it has kids in it. But they aren't annoying "whiz kids" who save the ship all the time (*coughWesleyCrushercough*), they're just normal kids. Plus, imagine if ATCSL had adult characters instead of children characters; I'll bet the episode would work a lot better for some people. But as it is, the whole theme of the Gorgon praying on a group of innocents to advance his evil scheme is pretty scary and works as an effective plot device. It's interesting and dramatic, at least to me.

19. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

About twenty episodes of TOS are first rate. You can burn the other negatives and humanity will not be lessened. JJTrek is better than most of TOS. :cool:

20. 6079SmithW

6079SmithW Vice Admiral Admiral

If I may? I can only speak for myself but I would like to offer my opinion to the "bashers" of the the so-called TOS purists. TOS was a unique and ground-breaking show for its time. It was a western in space that explored issues of science, morality, philosophy and challenged some of the social norms of the times.

Fast forward forty years later and Star Trek is a very successful franchise with eleven movies and four more series, three of which lasted the better part of a decade.

However, in all that time, with all that material, to the minds of the "TOS purists" none of it ever managed to live up to the source material in terms of relevance/significance or entertainment value.

This is perhaps what makes things all the worse, knowing that your favorite show did not die after three seasons and fade into obscurity but that it continued to thrive for decades afterwards but never lived up to the original show you fell in love with.

I would very much like to know the answer to that, too! Some people get ANGRY that a lone fan like me only considers TOS to be canon. My personal opinion of what is or isn't canon has absolutely no effect on Paramount's "official" canon, and my opinions have absolutely no effect on whether or not someone else can enjoy TNG or VOY. I'm just ONE fan, yet some people get angry and throw a hissy fit when they hear me simply express my personal and minority beliefs that only TOS is canon. :wtf:

Because truthfully? IT DOESN'T MATTER. :techman:[/QUOTE]

Since I'm trying to see both sides of the argument I must also address why people have a problem with the so called purists. Its all good and dandy for everyone to have their favorite Star Trek show but for some the attitude of "you can enjoy your shows but they simply aren't Star Trek and are irrelevant" is off putting. Because to say "only TOS is canon" is saying that every other Trek is irrelevant to the story Star Trek tries to tell.

TOS Purist, look at your signature to see why people "get angry and throw a hissy fit." Statements like that can be seen as inflamatory to non-purists and, as I said above, express an attitude of dismissing other Trek shows people might like as irrelevant to the story of Star Trek. In fact it is saying that only TOS is actually Star Trek and everything else is anathema. This can rile people up wether you realize it or not.

The best analogy I have for this whole situation is this: A protestant says to a catholic the pope and all his decisions are worthless and that in fact catholics aren't even christians to begin with. An atheist says to the believer that their God doesn't exist and their holy book is filled with worthless falsehoods. These analogies are how it feels to some non-purists, ludicrous as it may seem.

In conclusion, this is all just my humble opinion based on my own observations and I could be full of s***. Also, I am not picking on you, TOS Purist, just trying to give you a possible explanation to your questions.