Top Gun:Maverick

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Jedi Marso, May 25, 2022.

?

Your Rating?

1. A*

12 vote(s)
    35.3%
  2. A

7 vote(s)
    20.6%
  3. A-

10 vote(s)
    29.4%
  4. B+

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  5. B

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  6. B-

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  7. C+

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  8. C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. F

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

The wife (who likes the F-18s or noisemakers as she calls them) wanted to see and last weekend was an ideal time. I enjoyed and think it was better than the original and she really enjoyed it

And another youtube video with former military aviators talking about it. The main guy is Ward Carroll who spend 15 years as an F-14 RIO. He's also the author of a piece called "79 things wrong with Top Gun" and several novels centred on an F-14 squadron.

2. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

3. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

It could be Wild Horse Hank 2 for all I care. If it's made as well as this movie was and doesn't have super heroes as the central draw, I'm in.

Ward Carroll's YouTube channel is great if you're a fan of naval aviation.

4. Jedi Marso

Jedi Marso Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ward (Mooch) was a LT working in the naval safety center when I was a middie back in the 80's. He did a comic strip every month called 'Brownshoes in Action Comix: The kind real aviators like.' It was usually featured on the back cover of Approach Magazine, which was the safety center's monthly publication. Those comics were fucking hilarious, especially to those in navy air, and always carried a subtle (or in your-face) safety message baked into them. A spoonful of sugar makes the medicine go down, and all that. Some of them were just for fun, and funnier than hell. I really wish he'd collect them all and publish them as a trade paperback.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
    Vger23 likes this.
  5. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

Tom needs to give us 'days of lightning' next godammit!

6. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Can just picture it in an announcer's voice. "The world heard his thunder, now he's as quick as lightning."

Smellmet likes this.
  7. Smellmet

I'm only semi joking of course but it could work with some hardcore car action. That being said I don't think the original is anywhere near as popular or loved as Top Gun is.

8. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I remember going expecting Top Gun 2 and being majorly disappointed.

9. Jedi Marso

Jedi Marso Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was essentially the NASCAR version of TOPGUN. That said, a good racing movie is never a bad thing...

Smellmet likes this.
  10. Owain Taggart

Maybe not as popular, but still a great movie. And the practical effects including the crash were amazing. I remember when it came out everyone was talking about how the crash was done. There was lots of buzz surrounding that. Plus, it made Nicole Kidman into a big star.

Smellmet likes this.
  11. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I remember reading at the time that Cruise was smitten by her after seeing Dead Calm and personally requested that she be the female lead. Which I guess looks a bit creepy now, given all that’s happened since, and with the stories about the Church of Scientology trying to find a suitable bride for him after he and she split up. But at the time I thought it was cute that even the biggest movie star in the world could have a crush.

Starkers likes this.
  12. Smellmet

I've not actually seen it since I saw it at the cinema for some reason. Maybe I need to give it another go.

13. Owain Taggart

I think the last time I saw it was around 4 years ago and it still held up fairly well.

Smellmet likes this.
  14. Skipper

Skipper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They aren't seriously talking about a Commando sequel? I think I read something about it

15. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Commando 2
    This time Matrix is kidnapped by the insane son of Bennet and his only hope is Jenny. Time to send Alyssa Milano to boot camp :P

Admiral2 and Skipper like this.
  16. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Every Arnold movie that's a hit has had sequel talk, but I think he declined it initially way back when. No one goes to his movies anymore, so maybe he'll reconsider 40 years later.

17. maneth

maneth Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, I admit that a sequel's not often better than the original, but it happened in this case. I hadn't seen Top Gun since 1986 when I saw it in theater, but we watched it with our son before seeing this. The flashbacks were great for reminding viewers of the deep friendship between Goose and Maverick, but I do think that kids who've never seen the original will miss out on something if they don't watch it before this one.

Admiral2 likes this.
  18. Owain Taggart

^ Yep, agreed. I watched the original about a week before I went to see the sequel, and I still missed out on some details if I wasn't paying attention, as some of it is quite subtle. Definitely a movie to have a refresher on, as it's the kind of thing that expands on the experience.

maneth likes this.
  19. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

I rewatched Hot Shots before hand. Did the job for me.

Mr. Laser Beam likes this.
  20. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Now that i've seen the movie a couple of times i noticed something that may be a plot hole or rather something that doesn't make sense.

When they go on the real mission they make a big deal out of having to hit the target 2 times, so far so good. All 4 planes are equipped with bombs though yet it's only 2 planes that actually dropped their bombs - Maverick and Rooster. Why?

Why didn't they plan for the other 2 planes to also drop their bombs to increase chances to hit? Maverick is the flight lead and releases his first, Phoenix is hot on his tail yet keeps her bombs and only jettisons them when they crest that mountain and the SAMs begin firing. Payback had technical problems but he could have also dropped blind like Rooster and pray for the best.

Still a great movie though but sometimes i like to nitpick ;)